Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 03:23 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Only if you consider density a good think. Being originally from Brooklyn I respect LA for being something different than New York and not another poor's man version of New York like Chicago.
LA offers totally different lifestyle than New York and while it is very "oriental" for me I could find myself living in Florida or California at some point in life. Moving to Chicago however seems like going down the ladder.
Get a life. WHY are you SO OBSESSED WITH CHICAGO? New York and Chicago while they are VERY similar, are two completely different cities. No one wants Chicago to be New York and no one wants New York to be Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Only if you consider density a good think. Being originally from Brooklyn I respect LA for being something different than New York and not another poor's man version of New York like Chicago.
LA offers totally different lifestyle than New York and while it is very "oriental" for me I could find myself living in Florida or California at some point in life. Moving to Chicago however seems like going down the ladder.
Your Schizophrenia is back! Last week you were living in Chicago, now you'll never move here. Hey guess what, you just got caught in a lie by someone whose graduating from a high school in the Chicagoland area! Wow, I'm really disappointed dem, after all, you are the most intellectual person on this forum!

Old 04-26-2009, 03:54 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Your Schizophrenia is back! Last week you were living in Chicago, now you'll never move here. Hey guess what, you just got caught in a lie by someone whose graduating from a high school in the Chicagoland area! Wow, I'm really disappointed dem, after all, you are the most intellectual person on this forum!
If you are really graduating from high school I have a piece of advice for you that you can use in your adult life: change the style of your arguments. Focus on merits, data and topic rather than trying to assasinate the charachter of your opponenent. That's very immature and will not win you many friends or general respect.
I am living in Chicago now and does seem like a big step down from New York. That's what I said in my post.

Oh, and go to school somewhere else then Chicagoland. Follow Obama, do not pick a local school if that's at all possible.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementor View Post
If you are really graduating from high school I have a piece of advice for you that you can use in your adult life: change the style of your arguments. Focus on merits, data and topic rather than trying to assasinate the charachter of your opponenent. That's very immature and will not win you many friends or general respect.
I am living in Chicago now and does seem like a big step down from New York. That's what I said in my post.

Oh, and go to school somewhere else then Chicagoland. Follow Obama, do not pick a local school if that's at all possible.
I had to bold everything you said. Once again, you're a hypocrite. Utilize your own advice before you try to push it on others. I'll quote Nafster because after all he said it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
"I do not hang out with hicks but I am not sure if eurous does. Try him."

"Thanks, you have to leave it to Midwesternes to nitpick or ponder about some trivial issue"

"You said Chicago is full of folks from rural areas of Midwest. I do not know about yourself but I do not think they know much about city life and culture, do they? "

"It's useless. You are aguing with a Chicagoan"

"That's because being from Chicago you do not know what a decent bagel or a bialy looks like..."

"Everytime I see or hear something I do not understand or know I immediately assume it has to be stupid. I am from Midwest."

"Hey blond Midwestern shikse, put me ignore and spare me your comments. Thanks."

"You probably did not even notice that gratuatity was included in the bill..."

"Your media reflects on you. One of the largest newspapers in Chicago parochialism reflects on entire city" - Not really an insult, just had to point out that this quote makes absolutely NO sense

"Hey, you call it being "down-to-earth" but to everyone else you are plain and boring. There is nothing exciting about Midwest. Nothing inspiring."

"Agreed 100%. Chicagoans are so full of it"

"The Chicagoan from Iowa imagines that everything 45 minutes from Manhattan is ghetto not realizing that this includes New Jersey and Connecticut, White Plains, Williamsburg, Forrest Hills, Brooklyn Hts, Astoria and many other neighborhoods much more appealing then Chicagos Wicker Park or Lincoln Park.
I think it kind of defeats the purpose of discussing urban lifestyles with someone who just moved to Chicago from Iowa and does not really know both cities and their lifestyles."
- to Chicago 60614

"As a typical Midwesterner you lack ability to sense nuance. Midwest in general lack certain mental fidelity so I am afraid you won't get it."

The above quotes have all been written by..... yours truly, Dementor

Dementor,

On behalf of the City Data forum, I apologize for the foul insults spoken to you by other members. I fully understand that you are the only one entitled to break the forum rules due to your full knowledge and understanding of the world. We also award you for finally educating the forum on what the word "parochial" means, and using it in every sentence. Thank you and have a nice day.

-Nafster
Seems like a bunch of personal attacks to me...all made by YOU.

By the way, I really cant wait to take your job sometime in 2013. I'm sure a degree from the University of Chicago trumps anything you've ever achieved.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:29 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:

Seems like a bunch of personal attacks to me...all made by YOU.
Personal attacks are directed at a particular person. Find me one that I commited.

Quote:
By the way, I really cant wait to take your job sometime in 2013. I'm sure a degree from the University of Chicago trumps anything you've ever achieved.
I am positive. Now, take my advise and refrain from attacking the person you are arguing with. Attack ideas, not people. You may use that advise while in UofC. You'll go further.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:24 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Quote:
Personal attacks are directed at a particular person. Find me one that I commited.
"I do not hang out with hicks but I am not sure if eurous does. Try him."

"Thanks, you have to leave it to Midwesternes to nitpick or ponder about some trivial issue"

"You said Chicago is full of folks from rural areas of Midwest. I do not know about yourself but I do not think they know much about city life and culture, do they? "

"It's useless. You are aguing with a Chicagoan"

"That's because being from Chicago you do not know what a decent bagel or a bialy looks like..."

"Everytime I see or hear something I do not understand or know I immediately assume it has to be stupid. I am from Midwest."

"Hey blond Midwestern shikse, put me ignore and spare me your comments. Thanks."

"You probably did not even notice that gratuatity was included in the bill..."

"Your media reflects on you. One of the largest newspapers in Chicago parochialism reflects on entire city" - Not really an insult, just had to point out that this quote makes absolutely NO sense

"Hey, you call it being "down-to-earth" but to everyone else you are plain and boring. There is nothing exciting about Midwest. Nothing inspiring."

"Agreed 100%. Chicagoans are so full of it"

"The Chicagoan from Iowa imagines that everything 45 minutes from Manhattan is ghetto not realizing that this includes New Jersey and Connecticut, White Plains, Williamsburg, Forrest Hills, Brooklyn Hts, Astoria and many other neighborhoods much more appealing then Chicagos Wicker Park or Lincoln Park.
I think it kind of defeats the purpose of discussing urban lifestyles with someone who just moved to Chicago from Iowa and does not really know both cities and their lifestyles."- to Chicago 60614

"As a typical Midwesterner you lack ability to sense nuance. Midwest in general lack certain mental fidelity so I am afraid you won't get it."

-I think you two are even

Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
No a personal attack doesn't have to be directed at one person. I feel like I shouldn't have to tell you this, but I will anyway. Here is an example of what I mean: If you use a derogatory phrase or term, more than one person feels that you have made a personal attack on them. Calling one Jewish person a K*** doesn't only offend them, it offends all Jewish people. You cant pick and choose whats a personal attack to fit your side of the argument. Once again, you're being given a life lesson by a 17 year old.

Quote:
I am positive. Now, take my advise and refrain from attacking the person you are arguing with. Attack ideas, not people. You may use that advise while in UofC. You'll go further.
Refer to part one.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:41 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You obviously haven't spent a summer here. I can assure you that no Chicagoan is counting down the days until The Taste of Chicago.
I am. Are you kidding? It's the effin' TASTE. Why wouldn't you like that? It's incredible! Wonderful! Overpricedly delicious! There is nothing to dislike about the Taste of Chicago. Don't stoop to Demental's level. Just because he is trying to insult the world's best street fair, that doesn't mean it is somehow not worth going to anymore. Oh man, I cannot wait until the Taste.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:47 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
I am. Are you kidding? It's the effin' TASTE. Why wouldn't you like that? It's incredible! Wonderful! Overpricedly delicious! There is nothing to dislike about the Taste of Chicago. Don't stoop to Demental's level. Just because he is trying to insult the world's best street fair, that doesn't mean it is somehow not worth going to anymore. Oh man, I cannot wait until the Taste.
I'm not a fan of Taste. I prefer the neighborhood block parties, concerts, and random events of the summer.

Lollapalooza...now thats what I'm waiting for!

Old 05-18-2009, 04:52 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
the taste is overrated; lincolnfest is my favorite street fest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City