Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I'll say this: you can't really go wrong with central Philly, Boston or DC. The east coast is really blessed with an abundance of cities with thriving, enjoyable urban cores. It's one of things I enjoy most about living on this side of the continent.
100% agree - some of the best areas in the country for urban vibrancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
100% agree - some of the best areas in the country for urban vibrancy
You agree as long as DC doesn't build anything else.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You agree as long as DC doesn't build anything else.

No actually expect DC to only get better. I have considered DC as one of the top 6 DTs and still do and it has more potential to increase than many others, or at least more quickly

Old 06-29-2011, 10:14 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
The thing is though there is something to be said for a city that has so much vibrancy, people, businesses, etc all in one place! Washington has some great neighborhoods but the ability to have diner in center city, then walk to old city to go to a bar, then up to northern liberties to an after hours club. It's all right there, and all very walkable. While walking around to all those different locales in DC that you listed would be impossible. Not to mention it's not as though boston and philly only have stuff downtown, they have vibrant outer neighborhoods as well, it's not like dc is the only city that can make that claim.

Comparing downtowns is a valid and useful exercise and a lot of dc boosters do attempt to say that DC has a downtown that competes with philly and boston. Having a great walkable downtown is a huge plus. That being said it isn't exactly crucial to having a great city and DC is proof of that. So while there are more things to judge a city by then it's downtown, a downtown is certainly something worth judging.

also in regards to the bolded text, i often wonder what these cities would be like today if nothing was built during this time period. obviously some gems would be gone... but those would be few and far between. truly an awful era as far as construction went. and it wasn't just buildings, poorly placed and planed highways as well. i would say that since it was the 60s and 70s all the architects and city planers must have been high but if that was the case you would think the buildings they built would at least be interesting looking.
Your first paragragh is a bit misleading. In DC, you can basically have dinner in DT; walk a few blocks to Dupont Circle to a bar or U street or Adams Morgan to a club or afterhours spot. Posts like these make me really question if some of you have ever been to DC. DC is consistently ranked in the top 5 as most walkable cities. I have never ever heard anyone say that Central DC is not walkable.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
No actually expect DC to only get better. I have considered DC as one of the top 6 DTs and still do and it has more potential to increase than many others, or at least more quickly
Like it or not, DC is building at an enormous pace. More than Philly and Boston combined probably.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Like it or not, DC is building at an enormous pace. More than Philly and Boston combined probably.

Never said it wasnt - it is a good thing for the city well and never said it wasnt. Why are you guys so convinced I do not like DC - honestly it more the posts of a certain few than the city at all

On your comments to Phils2011 I do agree - though the walk may be longer or shorter depending on the area you start in. Also DC is very walkable, and i dont think he was saying that at all - a difference in the compactness I think was his point. GT is the outlier - no real easy way to walk there and probably the least accesible area in DC from that perspective, always seemed like no easy Metro access either. All the other places are mostly walkable and most def walkable within areas.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:29 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,437 times
Quote:
Your first paragragh is a bit misleading. In DC, you can basically have dinner in DT; walk a few blocks to Dupont Circle to a bar or U street or Adams Morgan to a club or afterhours spot. Posts like these make me really question if some of you have ever been to DC. DC is consistently ranked in the top 5 as most walkable cities. I have never ever heard anyone say that Central DC is not walkable.
not what i said. what i said was that the neighborhoods that he listed that he pointed out as being very vibrant are not all walkable to each other. to an extent some are, but others like georgetown certainly aren't. DC's DT is of course walkable, but he was trying to say who cares about DT, when DC has all these other vibrant neighborhoods. I simply responded that there is something nice about having those vibrant places all located next to one another in a more traditional downtown, where people work, live, eat, and play all in the same space.

DT DC is certainly walkable and one of the top downtowns in the nation, I just don't think it compares to philly or boston and I think that even you would agree that DT DC isn't even one of the top 3 most vibrant places right in your own city.

Not saying that because DC is set up differently it makes it a worse city or anything like that. Just saying that just because DC is awesome and lacks a traditional DT doesn't mean there aren't aren't advantages to having one.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:00 AM

43 posts, read 123,168 times
I haven't been to Philly ever. I haven't been to DC since I was a kid. What's considered to be Boston's downtown? I know the obvious parts.. the stores around downtown crossing and the theatre district and I'm assuming all the business buildings and such. Does the waterfront count with Fanheuil Hall? Downtown bores me but I love the waterfront.. one of my favorite things to do is to go to Fanheuil Hall, find one of the restaurants to get some food from and take it to Columbus Park to eat. Does Chinatown count? Beacon Hill? I'm assuming Copley Square doesn't count..

Old 06-29-2011, 12:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Quote:
In a cruel twist of irony its the people from the Boston,Philly area along with the rest of the country that are paying for all that ivory castle.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
In a cruel twist of irony its the people from the Boston,Philly area along with the rest of the country that are paying for all that ivory castle.

Wow...I didn't know you were funding this developer. That's funny, I thought this was a private developer. In fact, I could have sworn I heard that banks finance their projects. So how much did you pay them?
Find Apartments for Rent | Archstone Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City