Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:33 PM

573 posts, read 1,360,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Fran Babe View Post
Philadelphia, Boston, and DC all have great downtowns, without a doubt the best aside from NY, Chicago, and SF. They are all vibrant and filled with an endless array of things to do and see.

These are some of the things that make a great downtown:

Restaurants
Food Trucks/Food Stands
Museums
Art Scene
Diversity
Vibrancy
Pedestrian Friendly
Transportation
Architecture
Work Force
Skyline
Cleanliness
Nightlife
Hotels
Housing Stock
Shopping
Parks/Squares
Live Music Venues
Tourist Attractions

Overall, which of the 3 has the best downtown?
downtown LA has all of that, my opinion is that LA has the 3rd best downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Your first paragragh is a bit misleading. In DC, you can basically have dinner in DT; walk a few blocks to Dupont Circle to a bar or U street or Adams Morgan to a club or afterhours spot. Posts like these make me really question if some of you have ever been to DC. DC is consistently ranked in the top 5 as most walkable cities. I have never ever heard anyone say that Central DC is not walkable.
That's because the people who would say that were probably run over by a car in one of Washington's many poorly designed 6-way (and even 8-way) intersections.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wow...I didn't know you were funding this developer. That's funny, I thought this was a private developer. In fact, I could have sworn I heard that banks finance their projects. So how much did you pay them?
Find Apartments for Rent | Archstone Apartments
ugh i have really tried hard to stay out of this whole thing. because honestly politics have no place here. but you just continue to say things that make no sense and so i just have to correct you.

Just because our tax money is not directly funding this particular construction project does mean that it would be built without our tax money. it's not exactly rocket science.

without the ever expanding government in Washington which WE are funding, there would be CONSIDERABLY less jobs in dc. If there are considerably less jobs in DC, then are considerably less people with the money to create the demand for apartment project like this one, thus without our tax dollars this apartment complex likely would not be built.

i'm not taking a stand one way or another as far as government spending goes and stuff like that. this isn't the politics forum. but you keep acting like DC's growth is totally organic and would be happening whether or not all that tax money was pouring into the city and it's just so absurd. wake up.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
i understand it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. but it's wrong. very wrong. la is barely a top 10 downtown... if that. have you ever been to philly, boston or dc???? why don't you visit and then you'll understand why what you're saying is so absurd

Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
i think all 3 are very close...boston may be a hair more urban

Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Boston
Philly
DC

...in that order, but as others have noted, very close. All have great downtowns/cores.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:29 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Restaurants- Tie between Boston/Philly. DC doesn't have the same offerings downtown (though if the entire city was being compared, it's closer).

Food Trucks/Food Stands- From my experience, Philly. DC second. Boston really lacks in this regard although they just approved 30 something new food trucks.

Museum- DC by a mile. Probably best in the country.

Art Scene- Philadelphia. Boston's best art is actually in Cambridge or in outer neighborhoods (JP, Allston/Brighton, etc). DC just feels to sterile and corporate downtown.

Diversity- DC most likely. Then Philly.

Vibrancy- Not sure what's meant by this. Overall activity? I think Boston may have more of a variety of "things" (residences, office, retail, restaurants, etc) than the others. Philly's a close second, DC is a somewhat distant third. Both Boston and Philly are excellent in this regard.

Pedestrian Friendly- Boston. I feel that Boston's wacky, narrow street grid lends itself to pedestrians better than the other two. I'd say PHilly is number 2. DC isn't bad, but I'd rank it third.

Transportation- DC. Then Boston, then Philly.

Architecture- REALLY tough call. I have to give it to Boston for the blend in the downtown area and how they mix. Number 2 would be Philly and DC third. Philly's high rises are much nicer (which is why it wins the Skyline battle)

Work Force- DC, Philly then Boston

Skyline- Obviously Philly. Then DC. What it lacks in overall height, it makes up for in style. I find the Capitol Building's dome and the Monument to be far more attractive than Boston's collection of outdated boxes.

Cleanliness- Well, DC seems pretty sterile downtown so DC. Boston second and Philly third (though none are "dirty")

Nightlife- Depends on what you're into. I love Boston's pub scene and think it's better than the other two. However, in terms of overall variety offerings, I'd say Philly first, DC second and Boston third.

Hotels- I haven't stayed in every hotel in every one of these cities. I still like Boston. Places like the Fairmont Copley Plaza (the facade was used in the Suite Life with Zack and Cody or whatever that show was called and the ballrooms were used in Bride Wars), Marriott Custom House rank up there as VERY unique hotels. Boston also has the Liberty Hotel which is one of the coolest, most unique hotels in the country (it used to be a jail).

Housing Stock- Probably Boston with the blend of historic townhouses, old tenements and classic row homes combined with upscale luxury condo towers.

Shopping- I think Boston packages it well (Newbury St. Copley Place/Prudential, Boylston, Downtown Crossing, and Quincy Market) so I have to go with Boston. Philly number 2, and DC a somewhat distant third.

Parks/Squares- I like Boston. Obviously the Boston Common and Public Garden are super famous. However, the Commonwealth Avenue Mall, Post Office Square (excellent urban square), Columbus Park (waterfront) and other small squares and parks cement this one for me. The National Mall is great so DC gets number 2 and Philly is an excellent number 3.

Live Music Venues- I don't really know. I've been to some cool ones in Philly. and Boston's lost a few legends over the years. I go with Philly but not super confident here.

Tourist Attractions- DC, obviously. It's our nation's capital. Philly number two probably. I think Boston's Freedom Trail is a bit overrated and places like the Tea Party site and Boston Massacre site are fairly underwhelming. Boston's riches lie in places like North Square (Paul Revere's home) and gems like the Union Oyster House.

Overall? I like Boston best, but Philly a close second. DC gets third in this particular poll due to lacking just a bit of the "character" that Boston and Philly have. DC has a great downtown, but I think it's strongest points are just outside of downtown. This comparison is three of the country's best downtown areas.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:26 PM

191 posts, read 214,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Restaurants- Tie between Boston/Philly. DC doesn't have the same offerings downtown (though if the entire city was being compared, it's closer).

Food Trucks/Food Stands- From my experience, Philly. DC second. Boston really lacks in this regard although they just approved 30 something new food trucks.

Art Scene- Philadelphia. Boston's best art is actually in Cambridge or in outer neighborhoods (JP, Allston/Brighton, etc). DC just feels to sterile and corporate downtown.

Vibrancy- Not sure what's meant by this. Overall activity? I think Boston may have more of a variety of "things" (residences, office, retail, restaurants, etc) than the others. Philly's a close second, DC is a somewhat distant third. Both Boston and Philly are excellent in this regard.

Pedestrian Friendly- Boston. I feel that Boston's wacky, narrow street grid lends itself to pedestrians better than the other two. I'd say PHilly is number 2. DC isn't bad, but I'd rank it third.

Architecture- REALLY tough call. I have to give it to Boston for the blend in the downtown area and how they mix. Number 2 would be Philly and DC third. Philly's high rises are much nicer (which is why it wins the Skyline battle)

Skyline- Obviously Philly. Then DC. What it lacks in overall height, it makes up for in style. I find the Capitol Building's dome and the Monument to be far more attractive than Boston's collection of outdated boxes.

Cleanliness- Well, DC seems pretty sterile downtown so DC. Boston second and Philly third (though none are "dirty")

Nightlife- Depends on what you're into. I love Boston's pub scene and think it's better than the other two. However, in terms of overall variety offerings, I'd say Philly first, DC second and Boston third.

Hotels- I haven't stayed in every hotel in every one of these cities. I still like Boston. Places like the Fairmont Copley Plaza (the facade was used in the Suite Life with Zack and Cody or whatever that show was called and the ballrooms were used in Bride Wars), Marriott Custom House rank up there as VERY unique hotels. Boston also has the Liberty Hotel which is one of the coolest, most unique hotels in the country (it used to be a jail).

Housing Stock- Probably Boston with the blend of historic townhouses, old tenements and classic row homes combined with upscale luxury condo towers.

Shopping- I think Boston packages it well (Newbury St. Copley Place/Prudential, Boylston, Downtown Crossing, and Quincy Market) so I have to go with Boston. Philly number 2, and DC a somewhat distant third.

Parks/Squares- I like Boston. Obviously the Boston Common and Public Garden are super famous. However, the Commonwealth Avenue Mall, Post Office Square (excellent urban square), Columbus Park (waterfront) and other small squares and parks cement this one for me. The National Mall is great so DC gets number 2 and Philly is an excellent number 3.

Live Music Venues- I don't really know. I've been to some cool ones in Philly. and Boston's lost a few legends over the years. I go with Philly but not super confident here.

Tourist Attractions- DC, obviously. It's our nation's capital. Philly number two probably. I think Boston's Freedom Trail is a bit overrated and places like the Tea Party site and Boston Massacre site are fairly underwhelming. Boston's riches lie in places like North Square (Paul Revere's home) and gems like the Union Oyster House.

Overall? I like Boston best, but Philly a close second. DC gets third in this particular poll due to lacking just a bit of the "character" that Boston and Philly have. DC has a great downtown, but I think it's strongest points are just outside of downtown. This comparison is three of the country's best downtown areas.
i agree with everything you said but housing stock AND vibrancy goes to philly. Philly has all of that and cheaper.

so to me its Philly boston dc

Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Restaurants- DC/Philly Tie - Both have 1 Michelin 5 star rated restaurant. DT DC has more restaurants than both cities. DC has been featured on Top Chef with top foodie cities like NYC, SF, Vegas and Chicago.

Food Trucks/Food Stands- Don't know

Art Scene- DC - Smithsonian

Vibrancy- DC by day, Philly by night.

Pedestrian Friendly- Tie- All have been ranked consistently in the top 5. DC has been voted most walkable.

Architecture- Tie

Skyline- Philly

Cleanliness- DC

Nightlife- Philly

Hotels- Tie

Housing Stock- Boston

Shopping- Boston then Philly

Parks/Squares-Tie

Live Music Venues- DT Philly

Tourist Attractions- DC

Overall? DC's DT has more people than both cities during the day and is more fast paced. Plus, because of DT DC size, it is more diverse and cosmo with better transportation, employment opportunites, museums, restaurants, tourists, attractions and international flavor. I have yet to see an area in DT Philly or Boston as vibrant as Gallery Place/Chinatown on a consistent 24 hour basis.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
Everything but perhaps the charm and character that accompanies 275 year old eastern cities.

Philadelphia

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City