Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:38 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times

Advertisements

i think all of those downtowns are pretty close...

aren't they 3 of the top 10 downtowns??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 07:37 PM

330 posts, read 878,330 times
Looks like DC is a popular discussion on this board. DC's downtown in terms of a 24/7 hour basis is not up to snuff as compared to Philly or Boston. However, the neighborhoods that surround downtown DC makes it a much more closer competition, and is what is making a difference in the popularity of DC.

If you do count the neighborhoods close to the downtowns mentioned, then DC is ahead.

In terms of downtown vibrancy - of course NYC is number 1, then it's between Chicago and SF. Center City in Philly is close to downtown SF, but I still give the edge to downtown SF.

But as a whole, DC fairs pretty well when you consider all of its vibrant neighborhoods. I realize the main point of this discussion is about the central business district.

There are several huge projects under way that will transform DC even more. The city center project and: CityCenterDC and the waterfront project: The Southwest Waterfront - Washington, DC will pretty much advance DC well ahead of Philly and Boston. Of course there are several other large projects not listed that are underway or will be in the near future in DC.

I think in another 5 to 10 years, the top contenders will be NYC way at the top, and far behind runner ups - Chicago, LA, SF, and DC.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:07 PM

457 posts, read 1,109,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post

There are several huge projects under way that will transform DC even more. The city center project and: CityCenterDC and the waterfront project: The Southwest Waterfront - Washington, DC will pretty much advance DC well ahead of Philly and Boston. Of course there are several other large projects not listed that are underway or will be in the near future in DC.

I think in another 5 to 10 years, the top contenders will be NYC way at the top, and far behind runner ups - Chicago, LA, SF, and DC.
Seems DC is gonna have to raise the height limit for the DT to change in a sizable way. DC's red hot office district crowds out residential development and the land for new DT residential development is limited.

Citycenter and the projects in the Mt. Vernon area will help greatly. But, we are talking about maybe another 2,000 or so housing units in the next few years. That is good, but not transformative enough to make DT DC like DT SF or Chi (or even Boston or Philly) anytime soon.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:31 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
I think D.C. is very glamorous. It's one of the few places where I wouldn't be surprised to see a movie star or some other celebrity on the street (or getting out of a limo). That being said, the geography is too spread out and the streets and sidewalks are too wide for it to ever achieve that crowded urban feeling that is in Philly or Boston.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:27 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Another thing I should mention is that within city limits DC is significantly smaller than Philly or Boston. However, since the DC area is so spread out, many of DC's suburbs also have downtowns of their own or areas with fairly vibrant activity.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Another thing I should mention is that within city limits DC is significantly smaller than Philly or Boston. However, since the DC area is so spread out, many of DC's suburbs also have downtowns of their own or areas with fairly vibrant activity.
Without looking it up, I think Boston proper has a smaller land area than DC proper

Old 11-25-2010, 07:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Without looking it up, I think Boston proper has a smaller land area than DC proper

You are correct (by land area)

Boston 48 sq miles
DC 62 sq miles
Philly 134 sq miles

But honestly have zero idea what this has to do with the downtowns, as has been noted many times in this thread DC technically has the largest area wise Downtown

Old 11-25-2010, 09:22 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Most of you yokals and hillbillies don't know sh&t about DC. Winky Wright moved from DC to FL as a teen. Sugar Ray Leonard lived in SE DC and his family moved to Palmer Park when he was in school.

One thing I do know is that Philly shuts down at 1:45 a.m. That's a fact.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:30 PM

330 posts, read 878,330 times
DC's worstest, So what's the point? Sounds like you've consumed a lot of Colt 45s from one of the convenient stores in Anacostia, along with a lot of turkey meat!

Old 11-25-2010, 09:40 PM

63 posts, read 355,161 times
DC's height limit needs to be raised ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City