Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 07:44 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times

Advertisements

^^^^^ Some of the most beautiful black women in the world are out and about in DT DC in the summer time. Now i'm starting to understand you a better.

How we party in DC!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SEtirS9pMg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 07:57 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Only the lamest of the lame would believe that Philly's nightlife is even on DC's level. Your clubs start throwing people out at 1:45 a.m. WTF? I'm just getting to the club at I:00 a.m.
Dude, Wash DC may or may not have a better club scene than Philly but even if it does that doesnt make Phillys night life lame. Philly has a great mix of nightlife. Heavy on cosmopolitan but it also has dance clubs,hipster and dive bars,jazz clubs,cabaret, live theater,breweries,al fresco,live music, upscale pub fare.Its been written that Philly has the best Belgian bar scene on the planet outside of Brussels.

You guys are dancing llate into the morning in DC meanwhile Center City Philly has a dozen small concert venues going off, Rittenhouse+Midtown Village are vibrant sections full of metrosexuals. South Street is booming, Old City is a zoo,the hipsters are loving Northern liberties, the college crowd is over in University City. All of these neighborhoods are directly connected which makes up a pretty potent punch when it comes to nightlife.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:10 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
It's interesting that no one ever brings up Philly's suspension bridges. I've always thought that the bridges give the city an extra bit of character, considering that most major cities (LA, Chicago, Houston) don't have any. Would the Ben Franklin Bridge be considered a CC landmark?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6jaZH1r_8Y

Old 11-24-2010, 08:26 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I know all about Go-Go. I don't need lessons. All of the good bands, like Trouble Funk, RE, the NE Groovers, etc, have all but disappeared. And those guys don't perform in Downtown DC anyway. You have to go to the old school places like the Classics, Tradewinds, or the Legend to see those guys. You don't even hear those bands during WPGC's Go-Go hour anymore because this new sound, called "Bounce Beat," is what the new generation likes. The Go-Go as Washington, DC knew it is dead. It died as soon as Lil' Bennie took his last breath.

So you plan on rolling out soon right.....

Old 11-24-2010, 08:26 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Only the lamest of the lame would believe that Philly's nightlife is even on DC's level. Your clubs start throwing people out at 1:45 a.m. WTF? I'm just getting to the club at I:00 a.m. Go to Ibiza in DC on a Friday night and there is a line outside at 1:00 a.m. Go to the 9:30 Club on a Sunday and you will see a line at the door after midnight. Plus Go-Go bands in DC play every night. Go to Takoma Station in DC. The band does not come on until 11:45. There is always something going on in DC. I was in CC Philly on a Sunday night in June and it was dead.
You're putting such a strong emphasis on last call and it's why DC is better than these other two cities...but I just looked it up and your last call is 3am on Friday and Saturday, 2am every other night. Yea you get an extra hour of drinking on Friday and Saturday, but you're trying to make it sound like you party all night like NYC, London, or São Paulo.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:34 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You're putting such a strong emphasis on last call and it's why DC is better than these other two cities...but I just looked it up and your last call is 3am on Friday and Saturday, 2am every other night. Yea you get an extra hour of drinking on Friday and Saturday, but you're trying to make it sound like you party all night like NYC, London, or São Paulo.
I agree lol.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:38 AM

50 posts, read 74,290 times
man this some hog shyte right here. DC is better than PHILLY in EVERY AND EACH WAY. more culture, more clubss, more go gos, and the District is known for waaay more than philly is known for. what's dc know for? parties, clubs, go gos, obama, monuments, and power. what's philly known for? Rocky and drago...lol. DC has a much more strong impact on culture all over the world and's known for more things than philly.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
I'm hesitant to even respond to you bc I'm pretty sure you're just someone's troll account...but whatever...I just wanted to let any of the DCers here who think otherwise that your city is not known for its club scene or nightlife at all. Like not at all. I'm not saying it as a bad thing, or that it takes away from DC's nightlife at all...but no one hears Washington DC and thinks about the nightlife. There are three cities who are known for their nightlife: NYC, Miami, and Las Vegas. That is all.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:59 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4Life2 View Post
man this some hog shyte right here. DC is better than PHILLY in EVERY AND EACH WAY. more culture, more clubss, more go gos, and the District is known for waaay more than philly is known for. what's dc know for? parties, clubs, go gos, obama, monuments, and power. what's philly known for? Rocky and drago...lol. DC has a much more strong impact on culture all over the world and's known for more things than philly.
LOL, Yo is you high, DC is really known for be exactly what it is, the nation's capital with a strong political culture. That's it. Philly is superior to DC in every way, Philly has better culture, more things to do, better rappers, better location, distinctive northeastern accent, more racially diverse (not ethnically), better food, better attitude, better sports town, better skyline, bigger city, denser city, better downtown and even a lower crime rate than DC, even though it can get very rough in certain areas. Outside the political world, DC has a very southern culture vibe to me.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:08 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4Life2 View Post
I'll just harp on the bolded language. Philadelphia is well-known for boxing and in fact has its own brand of defense called the "Philly Shell." You may have seen this used by some guys, just random fellas, by the name of Floyd Mayweather, Bernard Hopkins, and James Toney. The young Philadelphia girl in this video is practicing this defense and can probably beat all of the boys her age down in DC. Is there a "DC style" of anything? Pizza? Boxing? Bagels?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW4h5BEzeks

Home - PHILLY BOXING HISTORY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City