Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:17 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,857 times

Advertisements

Have to say, I recently moved out of DC in part because I thought the city was a little small for me. But, I really think some people are really going a little overboard here.

Yes, Philly and Boston have more mixed used downtowns.

But, if we are counting rowhouse areas like Society Hill and South Street as downtown Philly, then we are getting pretty close to counting places like Dupont for DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 12:33 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
I never said DC is a better food city than Philly. I said DC has more restaurants DT. DC has it's own food just like Philly. Chicken and Mambo and the Half Smoke. It's not as popular but it works for us.

Bajan,

Your credibility is out the window if you believe Boston Commons and Rittenhouse Sq crush the National Mall. On any given day or weekend, the mall could entertain everything from corporate softball games to a million plus protest march. Did I mention the 40 or so museums in and around the mall.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:52 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Bajan,

Your credibility is out the window if you believe Boston Commons and Rittenhouse Sq crush the National Mall. On any given day or weekend, the mall could entertain everything from corporate softball games to a million plus protest march. Did I mention the 40 or so museums in and around the mall.
You write as if the Mall is some vibrant place like Washington Square Park, Rockefeller Center, or Central Park. There are no acrobats. There is no speed chess. There are no artists. There's no entertainment there. It's primarily a destination for tourists and a staging ground for the occasional rally. It's just not a particularly fun place to go for DC residents unless you're taking a late night walk around the Tidal Basin. For the most part, DC residents avoid it because it's crowded with tour buses waiting to dispense throngs of middle-schoolers and fannypack-wearing senior citizens.

The two exceptions are the Jazz in the Sculpture Garden and the ice skating rink. Those I do enjoy.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:51 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Uh-oh, looks like we're bringing NYC into the discussion. I didn't think we were gonna go there, but now we're up for some craziness.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-23-2010 at 02:44 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 02:11 PM

More DC scenes:

Old 11-23-2010, 02:41 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Below is a very typical Wednesday Evening in Rittenhouse and the Summer concert series, a picnic, bottle of wine and some fine meats and cheeses from DiBrunos

But again to me this next one really epitomizes the Center City experience to me (BYOBs are a blessing and curse - this one in particular is a blessing)

Old 11-23-2010, 02:53 PM

^^ Now that last pic is something DC needs more of. There are some outdoor cafes in downtown and further up Connecticut Avenue, but there ought to be a lot more.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
^^ Now that last pic is something DC needs more of. There are some outdoor cafes in downtown and further up Connecticut Avenue, but there ought to be a lot more.

Honestly this is one of the best things to happen to Center City over the last 15 years - I just read somewhere that the number of outdoor cafes went from ~30 to something like 230 over the last 15 years in center city. It adds to the urban experience. This was fought hard for as prior there were stricter zoning that required more sidewalk space but today that is mostly forgone; and in the pic above and today this is truly common on many streets/corners as the seating practically goes to the street but has added so much life and enhanced the restaraunt scene (especially in good weather months) in the city. Plus the downtown area has really capitilized on what are mostly antiquated liqour laws but sprung a BYOB cafe/restaurant rennaisance with crafty chefs/great atomasphers/fresh dishes and reasonble prices - win for all

Even some of the cafes have seating right on the edage of the street with tables on either side of where the pedestrian flow is - so in some ways the city flow of pedestrian flows right through the experience so to speak

BYOB Restaurants - Bring Your Own Bottle — visitphilly.com

Philadelphia outdoor cafes

Old 11-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You write as if the Mall is some vibrant place like Washington Square Park, Rockefeller Center, or Central Park. There are no acrobats. There is no speed chess. There are no artists. There's no entertainment there. It's primarily a destination for tourists and a staging ground for the occasional rally. It's just not a particularly fun place to go for DC residents unless you're taking a late night walk around the Tidal Basin. For the most part, DC residents avoid it because it's crowded with tour buses waiting to dispense throngs of middle-schoolers and fannypack-wearing senior citizens.

The two exceptions are the Jazz in the Sculpture Garden and the ice skating rink. Those I do enjoy.
Ok my only problem is that your not comparing apples to apples here thats just on the National Mall, which is not the only park in DC lets be real here. Rock Creek Park, Dupont Circle etc. are more places where you will see artists/ speed chess games going on in DC not on the mall because its so open. You all are making DC seem like its some far off city that has never seen urban culture in both the daytime and nightlife. Its not AS dense as Philly but it is still just as much vibrant.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:39 PM

2,594 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Right ppl goin on DC like its chopped liver....Then you got ppl claimin DC in one post and trying to put it down in another ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City