Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Am pretty sure not as many as in DC honestly

Though fact does remain even with all this completed DC is still much less dense from a residential prospective.

Currently there are about 4.6 million sq feet of commercial under construction (2.8 in U City on the CC border) and 5,200 residential units under construction with 3 additional hi rises and 3,400 units expected to break ground by 3Q. Also 3 hotels under construction and two new museums in Center City. Not bad but probably not as much as in DC. Though again while impressive even with all the residential and street vibrancy still will be below what already exists in Philly, Though new development is not bad. And please go ahead and explain how Arlington is some comparable (regardless of how many mindless apts go up) in terms of urban areas to U City; that one is tuly laughable

MD a question for you and will quote if need be but earlier in the thread u said once beyond 8 ft with 0 whatever zoning/development it doesnt matter

So to that; are all the row homes you po pooh more than 8 feet tall and are they built with 0 ehatever zoning/development seems a little contrary to other points you have made but will give you the opportunity to change your postion and words as you always do.

A walk through U City (Obviously not close to Center City but)

Philadelphia 36th-Market-Tech Blvd - University City - YouTube
I said 8 floors. If I said feet, I meant floors. People don't look up walking around the street except for geeks that are in to that. Zero Lot development is more so what is important. Zero Lot means the buildings come up to the street like you see in northeast cities. After about 8 floors, it doesn't matter for street vibrancy. The effect is created when people line the side walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I suspect it as well, DC is growing fast and its very noticeable but I dont think we are in the same tier as Houston and Dallas for growth. I do however think we are outpacing Atlanta at the moment and 80-100K/year fits DC's profile more than 150-200K which is unbelievable growth only surpassed in raw numbers by NY, LA, and Chicago in their heydays IMO

Agree. Though honestly expect DC to slow a bit within the next few years. A slowing of Govt expansion/contraction will slow the ability to create new jobs coupled with the high real estate just dont see the very high growth rate continuing long term. DC is even more unique in that it is only expensive metro growing at these rates. There is a reason for that and a reason why that will slow as much as Allstar (and will call me a hater to say this; reality or hater for the masses to decide) thinks DC has a magic formula (in a way it does, it is stimulated on govt growth and the ripples through the economy) and is immune to real world reality.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
The district is impressive but small although it wont be seeing big raw growth but after losing population for 50 years its sweet not sour so I'll take it . However I have more interest in the region growth, the metro was already on the heels of Philly and Houston I think down by 400K. Where did you read the metro is growing by 150-200K each year? Thats insane growth
I was just estimating. There is no official estimate yet. We experienced higher growth this past year than previous years though. Most of the Maryland and Virginia growth happens in the D.C. burbs so I was basing it off those substantial numbers.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I said 8 floors. If I said feet, I meant floors. People don't look up walking around the street except for geeks that are in to that. Zero Lot development is more so what is important. Zero Lot means the buildings come up to the street like you see in northeast cities. After about 8 floors, it doesn't matter for street vibrancy. The effect is created when people line the side walk.

Ah so 8 floors is the magic number

Got it Thanks Allstar I now understand and will look for this vibrancy that can only exist in such a place, thank you

Question for you; is the Village vibrant in NYC? or SOHO or Tribeca?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:59 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Trust me, with your office vacancy rate in your already tiny office market, I would not bring up office buildings. We have two 400 footers going up right now in Rosslyn just to name a few across our region! You have literally brought a knife to a gun fight. Even if every project planned for Philadelphia was listed, it would not come anywhere near what is happening in D.C. FACT!
11% vacancy rate in the city? It's actually among the lowest in the country. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Ah so 8 floors is the magic number

Got it Thanks Allstar I now understand and will look for this vibrancy that can only exist in such a place, thank you

Question for you; is the Village vibrant in NYC? or SOHO or Tribeca?
What are you talking about? Calm down! I said 8 floors is all people can feel when walking at street level in a downtown. After that height, taller buildings don't really change the feeling at street level if there is zero lot development present. Also, I said this because the poster I was responding to tried to say skyscrapers mattered for vibrancy. We aren't standing on a hill looking at the city in the distance. You can't see a skyline while walking at the street level unless you are looking up. Who does that honestly?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
Agree. Though honestly expect DC to slow a bit within the next few years. A slowing of Govt expansion/contraction will slow the ability to create new jobs coupled with the high real estate just dont see the very high growth rate continuing long term. DC is even more unique in that it is only expensive metro growing at these rates. There is a reason for that and a reason why that will slow as much as Allstar (and will call me a hater to say this; reality or hater for the masses to decide) thinks DC has a magic formula (in a way it does, it is stimulated on govt growth and the ripples through the economy) and is immune to real world reality.
Quite true, government enlargements happen quickly and end quickly. I work in the government and its part of the reason the district is given a fast paced reputation. This boom is a 4/5/6/7 year only boom because as the American economy begins to recover the DC area will begin to lose some luster when other states finally surpass their 2008 peaks IMO. Another fact I want to point out is all other metropolises became overpriced when they grew full size and slowed down like LA for one example. 15 years ago LA was very cheap but as it slowed down its price went up as the area maxed out on the basin. DC is going the other way while growing fast in high price which is troubling IMO because if the prices continue to increase while DC booms then what will become of the region when it finally slows? It will make growing harder for the next cycle

Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
11% vacancy rate in the city? It's actually among the lowest in the country. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
I was talking about your region while also highlighting the fact that you have about half the office space region wide as D.C. does. I'm focused on residential construction right now. You can focus on office space if you want to. D.C. is already head and shoulders over Philly in that and is building more currently than Philly also.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? Calm down! I said 8 floors is all people can feel when walking at street level in a downtown. After that height, taller buildings don't really change the feeling at street level if there is zero lot development present. Also, I said this because the poster I was responding to tried to say skyscrapers mattered for vibrancy. We aren't standing on a hill looking at the city in the distance. You can't see a skyline while walking at the street level unless you are looking up. Who does that honestly?
Personlly I find most commercial areas at some level detract from overall vibrancy; something DC is battling to overcome wherther they be 8 or 80 stories

I dont dispute DC has more commercial and claims the king in this respect among these. Philly needs more jobs DT; residential and vibrancy are not the issue it is more the loss of jobs to the burbs. But in terms of DTs the virbancy and street feel (especially after business hours) is far better and more cohesive in Philly. So some good aspects and some bad and while DC is building like crazy it still has some catching in that regard. Philly is definately the worst of these three in term of overall jobs in the DT; agree but will say to live offers more IMHO than does DT DC (even after all these projects)

Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
I was just estimating. There is no official estimate yet. We experienced higher growth this past year than previous years though. Most of the Maryland and Virginia growth happens in the D.C. burbs so I was basing it off those substantial numbers.
Maryland is accurately spot on as the grand majority of MD is in the DC region but Virginia is impossible to deduce because Richmond, Norfolk/VA Beach, Hampton are all growing faster now to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City