Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,048,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
It's like being in a very heavy, icy fog, mentally. There might be people outside in the sunshine, feeling the warmth, seeing the bright colors, telling you to look around and enjoy life or feel the warmth, but it won't happen. That icy thick cloud hangs over you and seeps into every cell in your body and mind. It can feel like death.

It's impossible for non-depressed people to understand. The only way I can explain it to them is it's like having people you love die, over and over. Not that anybody might have died, but it FEELS like the love and joy have disappeared forever, sucked out of you, leaving a big gaping wound in your soul.

Descriptive enough?
I agree.....And folks who have never experienced don't understand.

The fog. The despair. Not getting out of bed or leaving your house. And yes it can be like death and that is why sometimes death seems like a way out.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:44 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,632,202 times
Quote:
It's like being in a very heavy, icy fog, mentally. There might be people outside in the sunshine, feeling the warmth, seeing the bright colors, telling you to look around and enjoy life or feel the warmth, but it won't happen. That icy thick cloud hangs over you and seeps into every cell in your body and mind. It can feel like death.

It's impossible for non-depressed people to understand. The only way I can explain it to them is it's like having people you love die, over and over. Not that anybody might have died, but it FEELS like the love and joy have disappeared forever, sucked out of you, leaving a big gaping wound in your soul.

Descriptive enough?
Yes, very descriptive. It is very hard to truly describe the deepest depths of depression......I've even suffered the physical pain that can accompany it also. It was like having the flu for months at a time. Everything, I mean every single thing was a chore, even eating. It IS impossible for anyone to understand who has never suffered clinical depression. I mean, who wouldn't be suicidal when your entire body and mind feels like this? There's no relief when I suffer a depressive episode like this....I HAVE TO get help. Last time I landed in the hospital for 10 days. I wish I could describe the darkest depths of depression but I think you did a pretty good job herefornow. It's unimaginable.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:59 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,199,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I agree.....And folks who have never experienced don't understand.

The fog. The despair. Not getting out of bed or leaving your house. And yes it can be like death and that is why sometimes death seems like a way out.
It can be tempting, but we also have to realize that there are sometimes people watching, kids, spouses, relatives, and when we end our lives we end up taking theirs, too, in a way.

Not only did we have to deal with all that pain, we ended up passing that pain on to people we cared about if we hurt or kill ourselves.

Maybe, if we hang on, we can help others out there. There are plenty of people that go through this that could use our help once we get through difficult times. Especially if it runs in families. We could help the next person in line.

Even if we don't have anybody in our lives who would care if we ended it, there are truly others out there that could benefit from having another human around. Nursing homes are full of lonely and sad people. They can use warm bodies to talk to. They just might be waiting for one of us. As sad as some of us get, there might be even sadder people out there, and we might just cheer them up by showing up to say hi (on our good days, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yes, very descriptive. It is very hard to truly describe the deepest depths of depression......I've even suffered the physical pain that can accompany it also. It was like having the flu for months at a time. Everything, I mean every single thing was a chore, even eating. It IS impossible for anyone to understand who has never suffered clinical depression. I mean, who wouldn't be suicidal when your entire body and mind feels like this? There's no relief when I suffer a depressive episode like this....I HAVE TO get help. Last time I landed in the hospital for 10 days. I wish I could describe the darkest depths of depression but I think you did a pretty good job herefornow. It's unimaginable.
Definitely, Ilene. We have to get help. And if we can't help ourselves, hopefully someone around us notices something is off and will start asking questions.

We don't sit and watch somebody suffocating to death (kind of like depression, mentally suffocating) and go on with our day. We call an ambulance.

Last edited by herefornow; 07-29-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 04:11 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,227,689 times
Wow..........I struggled with depression starting when I was 15, but I wasn't medicated until I was 21 when I started having panic attacks. I couldn't even leave my house. Coveting? Are you serious? I've never struggled with being jealous or coveting. There's a lot of sins I've had to overcome and still struggle with, but coveting has never been one of them. I'm not perfect by any means, but Purpleheart, this is the kind of thing that causes people to want nothing to do with those "crazy" Christians. Do you think God was honored?

Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,578,482 times
Default muddled semantics!

A few examples as to how the OP became muddled...???
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkin2e View Post
Depression affects the great and the small
It sets in when your back is against a wall
Some call it melancholy by another name
Whatever its' title the feeling is the same

Elijah was depressed and hid in a cave
Jezebel wanted him lying cold in a grave
Then the Lord spoke in a still small voice
Depression fled and caused Elijah to rejoice

John the Baptist languished in an old jail
No one cared enough to make his bail
He was depressed about his impending fate
He was to be beheaded on a certain date

Then a word from Jesus came as good news
He told him he was Christ the King of the Jews
That the blind receive their sight and the lame walk
That the dead are raised, the deaf hear, the dumb talk

Only Jesus Christ can do such mighty deeds
He feeds the sparrows and tends to their needs
So when depression comes and you're feeling blue
Remember that Jesus loves and cares about you

Irvin L. Rozier aka walkin2e
Normal depression...feeling blue that faith in God can cure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
With all due respect, depression is not an emotion. It is a biological, and physiological illness which can be debilitating and all-consuming to those who suffer it.

I know you probably meant nothing other than to add some kindness with your post, but I just wanted to make sure to clear that up because depression is a very, very serious illness for some people, and one that can have disastrous results. If faith helps people get through it- that is wonderful. But I hope people also remember that, just like diabetes, heart conditions, etc., there is medication available to treat those who truly suffer physical depression (not those who simply are having a "rough" patch- that is completely different and doesn't apply to what I said. We all have those!).
Then changed to Clinical illness...Bipolar disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
With all due respect.....Yes, it is very much a seriousness..... I spent 20 yrs in it and being many times on the verge of suicide, wanting the pain to stop in my mind and emotions.
It was then when the Lord through the power of His love bringing His healing through His word that brought healing in my life from the deep, deep dark hole of depression.

It took over ten years for the Lord to bring me to the place of peace within my life and the joy of living !! I was like an onion He was peeling slowly, gently, through those years of resolving the root of that depression!!

And He did it all without meds or counseling through a psychologist or pyschiatrist.....just a whole lot of prayer, opening His word to help understand those emotions that were causing the mental illness of depression and Him continually giving me the faith to trust Him through that dark hole of hopelessness, one who is/has experienced it there is no words one can explain.

Yes, there are some who deal with it biological, etc., !! That need meds and I believe that God opens the door for those who have that chemical in-balance for healing.....by the use of meds, and counselor's.

Blessings...
A mixture of both normal depression and Bipolar disorder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There are biochemical causes for depression, occurring as a result of abnormalities in the levels of certain chemicals in the brain.

These require professional care, and medications, and WILL NOT be prayed away, wished away, hoped away, or cured by some deity.

If you or someone you care about suffers from true depression, seek professional help from doctors and don't waste your time praying or wishing or hoping it will all go away, cause it won't.

Those that advise anyone to pray and the other nonsense I've seen here might as well tell you to practice voodoo or witchcraft. They are endangering the lives of people with their reckless and ignorant advise.
Back to total Bipolar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Depression can lead to despair and to despair is to turn ones back on God...
Swung back to normal...with religious tinge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I just pray that with this discourse...one would cling to and not lose HOPE...and know that GOD never forsakes us. He is always with us...all we have to do is ask.

Now... If I were to know and is near the person physically who is suffering from this...there is much more that I could do to help and as a friend...would do my best to let him/her know that he/she is loved by me from the core...how much more with GOD?...

There always is "the light" at the end of the dark tunnel...as the saying goes...so true!
Still referring to normal but...on the verge of swinging both ways...

I believe the OP thread was about a normal "depression" which all suffers from time to time with a religious tinge. Since then, it had become Bipolar in nature and swung like a pendulum...

I believe all the following dialogues had been a mixture of muddled semantics...

normal depression = being...from time to time...sad, blue...etc.
Bipolar disorder = a Clinical illness with mood swings from one extreme to the other...This needs to be treated by professionals.

If I stand corrected...please swing at me gently with compassion...

Peace!

Last edited by ans57; 07-29-2010 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 04:26 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,286,690 times
Quote:
You are, in every sense of the word, someone whose hand I wish I could shake. I applaud your honesty, I applaud the stuggle you have endured, and I applaud your recovery! It would be an honor for someone like myself to look you in the eyes, and shake your hand.

I mean it.

Quote:
It can be tempting, but we also have to realize that there are sometimes people watching, kids, spouses, relatives, and when we end our lives we end up taking theirs, too, in a way.

Not only did we have to deal with all that pain, we ended up passing that pain on to people we cared about if we hurt or kill ourselves.

Maybe, if we hang on, we can help others out there. There are plenty of people that go through this that could use our help once we get through difficult times. Especially if it runs in families. We could help the next person in line.

Even if we don't have anybody in our lives who would care if we ended it, there are truly others out there that could benefit from having another human around. Nursing homes are full of lonely and sad people. They can use warm bodies to talk to. They just might be waiting for one of us. As sad as some of us get, there might be even sadder people out there, and we might just cheer them up by showing up to say hi (on our good days, of course).

Definitely, Ilene. We have to get help. And if we can't help ourselves, hopefully someone around us notices something is off and will start asking questions.

We don't sit and watch somebody suffocating to death (kind of like depression, mentally suffocating) and go on with our day. We call an ambulance.
Your words, like Ilene's, are truly a testament to the fact that people do in fact, sufferly deeply from an illness/afflication that oftentimes goes either undetected, or inaccurately diagnosed. Those who suffer from severe depression/depressive states need to be around other people; loved ones who will hopefully support them, and encourage them to seek out professional help. Depression kills (in some instances) when the individual sinks too deeply into that from which they can find no way out, thereby abandoning all hope. I have been known to tell (certain) patients that "suicide is not an option" simply because I can see that there is so much more to that individual than just their depression and related symptoms, and because I have seen what real recovery from depression can be for people. Your post articulated that beautifully, in encouraging others to find meaning within one's own depressed state and subsequent recovery. The reference you made to those in nursing homes is one such example.

I applaud you, just as I do Ilene. I cannot help but have the utmost respect for those who have managed (by whatever means) to overcome what is in fact a truly devastating illness, and one which all too much of the time (if left untreated) can result in devastating consequences.

May you both take extra gentle care.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,048,235 times
[quote=herefornow;15254836]It can be tempting, but we also have to realize that there are sometimes people watching, kids, spouses, relatives, and when we end our lives we end up taking theirs, too, in a way.

Yes and in a way that was a rope for me and when my son started having emotional issues I was pulled from the fog. But it has been a couple of years of medication and intensive therapy and now I know I will be on this medication probably forever. But I can get out of bed and leave my house and I am struggling to repair myself and my family. I now realize that i grew up with a mother who suffered from depression and that what I have is probably inherited.

Yes we do!

Yes!

Yes!

Old 07-29-2010, 05:13 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,530,900 times
Thinking that Jesus can cure depression is like thinking Mao's Little Red Book is a cure for it too.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:56 PM

365 posts, read 511,989 times
Quote:
Read my ENTIRE post Purpleheart.....I do not covet. ..
People who live in self-denial will never heal. We all covet to some degree.

It's time for you to stop blaming everyone else and everything else for your misery. Stop blaming "external forces and chemicals" in your brain and take ownership of your own free will and free thinking.

Your first step is to admit you are a sinner, and yes that means admitting you covet.

Your second step to healing is to take full responsibility for your coveting and make a commitment you will repent.

Then begin thanking God for all the miracles in your life and be happy and grateful for what God has already given you and stop coveting for things you do not have but want.

If you follow these steps your depressive thoughts will depart and you will be so happy and joyful and grateful for what God has already provided you with.

Last edited by PurpleHeart; 07-29-2010 at 07:09 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 06:59 PM

365 posts, read 511,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
First off, I don't appreciate the "sweetheart" remark. Second, you clearly are not aware of the work that has been done in the realm of psychopharmacology, along with neuropsychiatry.

Third, as regards your claim of being a psychologist? --I'm sorry, but June doesn't believe you. For one thing, your writing ability does not rise to the level that would be indicative of someone who could have written a dissertation that would have resulted in granting a Ph.D., even taking into account that this is merely a message board. As well, in your posts refuting me, you fail to address any of the facts, clinical data and/or points that I have backed up my posts with. That is highly suspect from anyone in the field of mental health who professes to have a Ph.D. in psychology.

Either way, you could not possibly be a clinician. For one thing, to mix religous views with professional ones in any clinical sense of practice is highly unprofessional, and for another, it's beyond reason that you could have completed a doctoral program in clinical psychology with such a profound lack of empathy as you exihibit. So June is extremely skeptical as regards your claim. ~Perhaps it's nothing more than a projection of a negative introject such that it is resulting in some sort of reaction formation....?
I apologize, I had no idea the word "sweetheart" would make you that angry and upset. I only use that word as a good will gesture, no disrespect intended, please forgive me.

It's normal to be sensitive to my comments because people do not like to take full ownership of their coveting spirits.

And you have made false accusations against thy neigbour with no foundation of proof. You need to ask God why you would do that. There is no use me commenting any further seeing you have claimed I am a liar, even though you have no proof to support that, so in other words, you have accuse your neigbour of lying without evidence.

I realise my challenges to you are upsetting you, but you should not allow anger and emotion to lead you to falsely accusing thy neighbour.

As a MODERATOR on this forum, you should lead by example and treat people and talk to people as Jesus would. And if you are not 100% certain about something and have no proof, it's not Christ like to accuse people of lying.

Just giving you honest, constructive Christian feedback. I hope you do not ban me because I share different beliefs to you.

Last edited by PurpleHeart; 07-29-2010 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity