Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 01:48 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,465,485 times

Advertisements

Your thoughts, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 01:51 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,619,341 times
Of course a christian can be depressed..Christians are human, just like all of us, and suffer the same illnessess of mind and body...

Old 08-27-2008, 01:55 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,048,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Your thoughts, please.
Absolutely, why wouldn't they be able to be depressed? I think the key is whether or not you stay there. If I lose a loved one, of course I'm going to be sad or depressed for a time being, but ultimately, if my hope and joy is in the Lord, I will pull out of that state of mind in time.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:17 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,938,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Your thoughts, please.
I am speaking only to you, PG77. I have no desire to debate with anyone on this subject. I am just going to share various versions of Matthew 26:36-38, I pray that you get your answer on if a Christian can be depressed.

NIV-Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me."

KJV-Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy. Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.

NASB-Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to His disciples, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be grieved and distressed. Then He said to them, "My soul is deeply grieved, to the point of death; remain here and keep watch with Me."

AMPLIFIED-Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and He told His disciples, Sit down here while I go over yonder and pray. And taking with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, He began to show grief and distress of mind and was deeply depressed. Then He said to them, My soul is very sad and deeply grieved, so that I am almost dying of sorrow. Stay here and keep awake and keep watch with Me.

THE MESSAGE-Then Jesus went with them to a garden called Gethsemane and told his disciples, "Stay here while I go over there and pray." Taking along Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he plunged into an agonizing sorrow. Then he said, "This sorrow is crushing my life out. Stay here and keep vigil with me."

YOUNG'S LITERAL-Then come with them doth Jesus to a place called Gethsemane, and he saith to the disciples, `Sit ye here, till having gone away, I shall pray yonder.' And having taken Peter, and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful, and to be very heavy; then saith he to them, `Exceedingly sorrowful is my soul -- unto death; abide ye here, and watch with me.'

I hope you see the consistent message.

I pray you do.

Jesus never sinned. He did rely on the Father. Follow Him.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:21 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,809,620 times
Quote:
Can a Christian be depressed?
Yes, they can. Yes, I have been. It doesn't make one any less Christian, but it should make us more Christian. I firmly believe in cases where depression is an attack against us by the evil one where we get our minds get so chemically imbalanced and bound up we see no joy in life, we can't see past our own pain and we can't see the object of our worship. The final point can be a hinderance to overcoming the depression. As I said .. been there, done that, and bought the hat.

A big part of the healing from depression can be by refocusing on God in that dark time. Don't get me wrong ... I beleive there are cases of depression that need medical attention/medication as well. However, as a Christian we know there's nothing impossible for God, especially helping a child of his who is hurting.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM

23,044 posts, read 34,527,295 times
Can a Christian Be Depressed? Of course, just because we are a Christian we are not immune to being depressed. But though we may be at the end of the rope, we are never at the end of hope.

2 Corinthians 4:8-9 "We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed and broken. We are perplexed, but we don't give up and quit. We are hunted down, but God never abandons us. We get knocked down, but we get up again and keep going".

Old 08-27-2008, 04:05 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,738,512 times
Wow, all good post! Yes, a christian can get depressed. But God is faithful and will lead that heart to whomever or whatever to help them to overcome that which is holding them there.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:18 PM

838 posts, read 1,220,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg77 View Post
your thoughts, please.

definitely!

Old 08-27-2008, 04:19 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,236,443 times
Yes they can be. Feeling depressed is not a sin, nor makes you less Christian. Sometimes it's a natural response to a circumstance, i.e. a death of a loved one, an intense battle we may be fighting, or simply feeling overwhelmed at the moment.

The important thing is not staying in that depression and what we do to get out of it. We need to give our burdens to the Lord, lay them at His feet and let him strengthen us through our quiet times with Him.

I remember a portion of scripture that says... The Lord is close to those who are broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. This is found in Psalms 34.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:27 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,583,461 times
I agree with all who have posted. I think I may know why you ask. I have had brethren ( including preachers) say that a Christian should not be depressed. That it is a lack of faith in God. They are wrong. As pointed out, depression can be a chemical imbalance and needs medical attention. Having faith definitely can help, but it has to be a very strong faith. You must keep telling yourself that God cares, and He will eventually raise you up, regardless of the cause of your depression. I am speaking from experience. I like to tell myself..." This too shall pass", and it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity