Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 PM

537 posts, read 1,323,221 times

Advertisements

So now no flames, means to flame. Thanks folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:26 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,709,906 times
OnOurWay2MO,
Quote:
I am always the odd ball lol. You asked for thoughts, so here are mine.

From personal experience I don't believe a person walking hand in hand with God can be depressed.
A "christian" can be depressed, but I do think it is because there is some seperation from the Father. (no flames please, this comes from my own struggles)

We can however have sorrow/mourning which is not the same as depression. Depression comes from fear IMO, and perfect love casts out all fear.
As far as chemical imbalances, I would do some research on it (I was on drugs for some time, which did nothing).

In the Bible it talks about sorceries, which the greek word is pharmakeia, where we get todays word pharmacy etc. It is the administration of drugs.

Here is a song that came to mind, goes something like this...

He gives beauty for ashes, strength for fear, gladness for mourning, peace for despair...

We can overcome anything with God on our side!! Be blessed!
I agree with loves mountains - Depression can come from fear however it is not the same as fear - fear can cause imbalances in the body which is what depression is but so can other things even a hereditery problems. Anybody could be depressed if their levels of dopamine/serotonin are not balanced.

Drugs can but does not necessarily solve the problem depending on what is causing the imbalance.

Regarding your observation about the origin of the word pharmacy you can't work backwards to determine what the bible is talking about by the term sorceries and then say that the word sorceries was about drugs. In Rev 18:23 Is the whole earth deceived by the drug companies? That is talking about the judgement of Babylon the great, so is mystery babylon all the drug companies?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:29 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,050,593 times
David knew depression... there were so many human beings in the Bible that were depressed, despondent, cast down...

Sometimes it was the result of failure, in response to correction, or just life.... because the people in the Bible were there as our examples to show us that God understands that we are human and doesn't expect perfection....

Anyone who tells you that your faith removes you from feeling human emotions is wrong.

As Alpha pointed out, even Jesus understood what it meant to be depressed.

Life can be very hard.

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-27-2008 at 08:54 PM..

Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,864,104 times
Clinical depression knows no bounds. It can affect anyone at any time in their life. It is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and requires medication to get the imbalance regulated. On the other hand, you may just have a very bad case of the "Blues."
Yes, a Christian can be depressed.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:26 AM

7,998 posts, read 12,282,414 times
Default Post #4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

"My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me."

This passage seems to deserve to stand by itself one more time...

Old 08-28-2008, 04:39 AM

396 posts, read 838,517 times
I say yes, Christians can be depressed.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWay2MO View Post

I am always the odd ball.

In utter sincerity, OnOurWay2MO, when June first logged on this morning and read your above statement, she laughed out loud. (Even before she had enough coffee in her June 7th body to post anything!) She laughed, as she thought to herself: "Huh? OnOurWay thinks that she's always the 'odd ball?' " If that's the case, then June is thinking that perhaps she was either conceived by aliens or just may need to reconsider the merits of those pharmaceuticals that she has read referenced in this thread!

You see, June was going to post a response last evening to post #4, but she realized that if she did, she would once again feel like (far more than) an odd ball herself! (Not that there is anything particularly out of the ordinary in that expierence for June; she feels that way quite frequently it seems at times, especially as of late...) So at the risk of (once again) coming across as the confusing odd ball that others may perceive her as, here goes:

"My sould is overwhelmed with sorrow. Stay here and keep watch with me."

The first odd ball statement June felt compelled to make last night was in noting the fact of just how beautiful the above verse is in it's sheer simplicity. Although June had remembered that bible passage from way back when, she hadn't quite realized the impact that it actually has. It had always somehow gotten lost in the overall context of the chapter it is from. However, when it stands alone, it truly conveys something that (I suppose) is quite powerful.

The second odd ball statement June felt compelled to make last night had to do with the fact that she had sat here reading the above verse, and had thought to herself "Don't know whether that verse helped PG77, but it sure helped me!" () June tends to think that a statement like that coming from the "heathen likes of June" more than qualifies and constitutes an "odd ball" statement. --So know that June hears ya, OnOurWay, and she joins with you in "odd ballness."

There is something profoundly touching in the simplicity of the words: "Stay and keep watch with me." It's the vulnerability of it, especially when taking into account who was making that request...

Here's the thing, for what it's worth, from heathen June:

If one is a human being, they are vulnerable to feeling depressed. Period. While I think I understand the point you were trying to make, OnOurWay, nonetheless, June has to say this: Christian, heathen, or otherwise, we are all fundamentally human. -Which means that we are capable of feeling an entire array of emotions. Just as Christians would not discount or deny the fact that there are times that they experience real happiness and joy, so too there are times when (June is guessing) that they also feel real sadness and depression, as well. You can't have one without the other. One's happiness and joy spring from the same origins within you as your sorrow and depression. (June seems to recall Kahlil Gibran saying that...She'll have to find the link...)

If one's emotions all stem from that same place within, and are all contained in that same place within, then it would make sense to June that also within that "place" would exist God, for the Christian. It would stand to reason for this atheist that if God "so loved the world" as to send His own "image and likeness" in the form of Jesus, as a human being , then somewhere in that equation June is thinking that even Jesus's "soul being overwhelmed" has to be acknowledged, validated. To June's way of thinking, some sort of comfort would have to be derived from the fact that one is not alone in their own "aloneness" or depression, as (for the Christian) they have the written word or their own God having experienced that exact same state. -For entirely different reasons, grant you, however: The feeling that one is overwhelmed with sorrow is something that exists independently of circumstance.

We have all, at one time or another, felt alone. Depressed. Overwhelmed with sorrow. It's not a bad thing, it's a painful thing. It's a human thing. And June's thinking if it was okay for Jesus to feel it, then it certainly should be okay for any Christian out there to feel it, as well. June in no way, shape or form would be able to believe, for a single moment, that being a "Christian" somehow exempts one from becoming "depressed" at times.

--Unless, of course, being a "Christian" means that you are also exempt from feeling happiness. Joy. Unless, of course, one wishes to deny the fact that Jesus, himself, stated that He felt the same...But Jesus did something else, as well: He asked:

"Stay here and keep watch with me."

To this odd ball atheist's way of thinking, (for whatever it's worth) that implies the simplistic beauty of Jesus's statement: That when our souls are overwhelmed with sorrow, we too can ask others to stay and keep watch with us. That we don't have to be alone. Jesus taught by example, or so June always thought. Jesus was closest to the Father, and yet Jesus himself felt overwhelmed with sorrow. The fact that any Christian can and does feel depressed does not negate the presence of God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit within them, just as Jesus's utterance would not imply the negation of, nor the absence of the existence of God the Father...

--But I could be utterly, absolutely, wrong.

But I need to end with this: Earlier ths week, June received some bad news. June felt depressed. June felt like crap. This was somewhat odd for June, as generally speaking, June is a pathetically happy individual who loves her life and rarely but ever takes anything for granted. So to June's utter shock and dismay, she found herself writing to a very dear friend, and saying "I feel so alone." -And in so doing, June was consciously aware of the fact that she does NOT possess something that all you believers, all you Christian's have: The reasurring presence of your faith. The "whatever" it is within you that makes you believers, makes you Christians, that lets you know on some profound level that you are not alone. --Even when you don't feel it, it is still there. He is still there. He is still there in your sadness and sorrow, just as He is there in your happiness and joy.

Just as my friend wrote back saying: "You are not alone" so too should PG77 know that she is not alone. --That if her soul is overwhelmed with sorrow, that all of us can, and will:

Stay right here and keep watch with her...

Yes.

Take gentle care, all.

DISCLAIMER: The above post consists of the early morning musings of an atheist without sufficient levels of caffine, hence, any aspect of the above that seems ridiculous should immediately be disregarded. Thank you.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:49 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,702,340 times
Can a Christian Be Depressed?
Your thoughts, please.

Revealing your feeling is the beginning of healing.
Many in the scripture suffered depression~ King David, Jeremiah (The weeping prophet), Job, the list goes on.
Our hearts can become weary, discouraged, despondent,

Proverbs 12:25
Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, but a good word makes it glad.

Psalm 143:4
Therefore my spirit is overwhelmed within me; my heart within me is distressed.

The answer; confession is the beginning to healing! King David always went before the Lord no matter what it was and confessed to the Lord his emotions. Many others did also...
God already knows when one is.. and I believe He would have us come to Him and say, just as David did in Psalm 143.

Confessing begins the healing and freedom from whatever is causing the heart to be depressed.

Finding someone we can trust and talk to is good also!
Galatians 6:2
Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

James talks about the confession for healing;
James 5:13-17
Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. Is anyone among your sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up, he will be forgiven. Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

There are many things that can cause depression. One should be checked by a Doctor for any physical problems. That is so important.

But God does have the answer to one who is depressed! Coming to Him, He will lead us on a path to restore one back and out of their distress, aniexty, weariness....

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 08-28-2008 at 06:09 AM..

Old 08-28-2008, 06:05 AM

Default To PG77:

Joy and Sorrow by Kahlil Gibran

Take gentle care.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:10 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,240,127 times
Another word for depression is a crisis of faith or the dark night journey*.

Quote:
* St. John's classic description of the dark night journey is in two phases: the night of the senses and the subsequent and often more prolonged night of the spirit (Kavanaugh & Rodriguez, 1973). In the night-of-the-senses phase, religious and spiritual practices that formerly brought comfort, joy, or perhaps even ecstasy no longer bring such satisfaction or a sense of close relationship with God. The devotee's prayer life has become empty despite ardent devotion and commitment. Intensified prayer and devotion bear no fruit; in fact, they seem to result in increased discouragement and sometimes in a feeling of emptiness or psychological "dryness" as if in an emotional desert. This loss can be compared to "the fading light of dusk as the objects of the world gradually vanish from sight" (Dombrowski, 1992, p. 30). Later in the journey, this night of the senses blends into the night-of-the-spirit phase, which brings even more emptiness because the journeyers feel completely alienated from God. This experience of desolation may be seen as the "darkness of midnight when detachment has left us all alone and all is lost" (Dombrowski, 1992, p. 30). Here the apparent loss of relationship and spiritual satisfaction has usually become a crisis of faith. Although not as debilitating regarding everyday functioning as acute depression (G. G. May, 1982), the dark night pilgrim nevertheless feels spiritually disoriented.

Source: Spiritual dark night and psychological depression: some comparisons and considerations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity