Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:07 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,805,059 times

Advertisements

It has been my experience that most Christians I know are depressed. Of course they have a nice cheerful smile painted on their face, giving the facade of happiness, but inside they are really quite scared and sad. That may sound too general, but the more I get to see how others live who are outside the Blanket of Christianity, the more I see how happy people can really be. I think it may be due to all the fear and guilt that is packaged in the faith, tied up in a bow of love.

I could be wrong though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 05:08 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,199,648 times
Firsthand experience right here that indeed a Christian can be seriously depressed.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:51 PM

2,885 posts, read 8,305,391 times
I haven't read the other post replies, so i pray that i don't duplicate an answer
IMO, Of Course;
I have asked myself this question many times past; and I searched the scriptures
and I did not find many people that were not depressed; especially the Major Prophets and King David, Hezekiah, Job; even in the N.T.
I feel it is hard not feel depressed when you are called to follow Christ;
persecuted, lied on, betrayed by those who are akin to you, sometimes your own children
choosing to submit to God and walk in humility, when your flesh is screaming))))))))))
"Curse them out, "Get them back", "I wouldn't take that"))))
So yes, I would say that it would be okay to feel depressed, as long as it is not associated with a chemical imbalance or physiologically related, then i would recommend
a physician's intervention.
Most times we just need to know that there is someone else who share the same convictions and struggles that we do, and are fighting the good fight of faith, and winning; that's usually my remedy for feeling depressed in my walk and work for the Christ
God Blessed
Too blessed to be depressed (just thought that sounded pretty nice(-_-)

Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 PM

2,885 posts, read 8,305,391 times
Talking I keep it real

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
It has been my experience that most Christians I know are depressed. Of course they have a nice cheerful smile painted on their face, giving the facade of happiness, but inside they are really quite scared and sad. That may sound too general, but the more I get to see how others live who are outside the Blanket of Christianity, the more I see how happy people can really be. I think it may be due to all the fear and guilt that is packaged in the faith, tied up in a bow of love.

I could be wrong though.

The worse thing that a follower of Christ could do is to be phony;
God hates dishonesty, and so do I....
This walk is strait";
IMPO If you feel in a funk, don't pretend, keep it real;
then most people that are watching will know that you are not a hypocrite.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,080,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Firsthand experience right here that indeed a Christian can be seriously depressed.
Well, being a Christian doesn't exempt you from mental illness or any disease for that matter. It can, however, greatly help you to face your illnesses or other difficulties

Old 08-27-2008, 07:16 PM

537 posts, read 1,327,736 times
I am always the odd ball lol. You asked for thoughts, so here are mine.

From personal experience I don't believe a person walking hand in hand with God can be depressed.
A "christian" can be depressed, but I do think it is because there is some seperation from the Father. (no flames please, this comes from my own struggles)

We can however have sorrow/mourning which is not the same as depression. Depression comes from fear IMO, and perfect love casts out all fear.
As far as chemical imbalances, I would do some research on it (I was on drugs for some time, which did nothing).

In the Bible it talks about sorceries, which the greek word is pharmakeia, where we get todays word pharmacy etc. It is the administration of drugs.

Here is a song that came to mind, goes something like this...

He gives beauty for ashes, strength for fear, gladness for mourning, peace for despair...

We can overcome anything with God on our side!! Be blessed!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,080,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWay2MO View Post
I am always the odd ball lol. You asked for thoughts, so here are mine.

From personal experience I don't believe a person walking hand in hand with God can be depressed.
A "christian" can be depressed, but I do think it is because there is some seperation from the Father. (no flames please, this comes from my own struggles)

We can however have sorrow/mourning which is not the same as depression. Depression comes from fear IMO, and perfect love casts out all fear.
As far as chemical imbalances, I would do some research on it (I was on drugs for some time, which did nothing).

In the Bible it talks about sorceries, which the greek word is pharmakeia, where we get todays word pharmacy etc. It is the administration of drugs.

Here is a song that came to mind, goes something like this...

He gives beauty for ashes, strength for fear, gladness for mourning, peace for despair...

We can overcome anything with God on our side!! Be blessed!
No offense, but you clearly do not understand about chemical imbalances and the nature of depression if you really believe a Christian cannot be depressed - NOT ALL DEPRESSION COMES FROM FEAR! Now, not everyone who is sad or upset, or even says they are "depressed" is truly suffering from the illness. The word depression has kind of been abused to encompass other things besides true depression, much like the phrase "stomach flu" (there is no such thing). But a truly depressed person CAN INDEED still be a practicing, loving Christian. After all, you can be an insulin dependent diabetic and still be a Christian, can't you? Being a Christian does NOT protect you from illness!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,673,261 times
[quote=OnOurWay2MO;5023187]
Quote:
Unbelievable!!! Have any of you ever heard of mental illness? Manic-depression or clinical depression or schizophrenia, even? Are you saying that these people who suffer from these illnesses cannot be Christians? And if they continue to suffer after becoming a Christian then they just don't have enough faith? As always, the stigma of mental illness is alive and breathing due to ignorance.

I think anyone who says something like this needs to read up on mental illness and the devastation of living with such a condition. What makes a mental illness any different than someone who suffers a physical condition all of their lives?

[quote=moonsavvy;5021644]
Quote:
but the more I get to see how others live who are outside the Blanket of Christianity, the more I see how happy people can really be.
Are you serious? This is what you're statement should have been.....
"But the more I get to see how others live who are outside the blanket of Christianity, the more I see how unhappy people can really be." Guys, come on!!

Happiness and Christianity are not mutually exclusive!! Christianity is not the end-all of everything bad in our lives and it doesn't make anyone perfect!! Unless God heals someone with a physical or mental illness, it doesn't mean they don't have enough faith or are not close enough to God!!

The ones who "appear" always happy, Christian or not, are on drugs!! How do I know this? I know all the signs and symptoms. NO ONE can hide their substance abuse from me. The ones who face their trials and tribulations head-on through Christ without drowning themselves in alcohol and drugs are the real heros and are the ones striving HARD to live for Christ! That means depression, moodiness, anger, etc. etc....all the human emotions, feelings, thoughts, struggles AND illnesses are dealt with through what should be our only crutch....JESUS CHRIST.

I'm not talking about medications to help with these illnesses....that is necessary and God would want us to use everything available to us to keep from harming ourselves. I'm talking about looking in Jane's purse sitting next to you in the pew to see how many prescription bottles of uppers and downers she has, or the choir director's pot stash at home.

I wish people would give it a rest with the Christian = perfection thing.

PG.....you are seriously struggling right now, and these types of responses are not healthy for you. I would suggest speaking with June 7th and maybe she could recommend some outlets for you. God bless.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:01 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,936,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWay2MO View Post
I'm pretty sure you didn't read that scripture I posted.

You might want to.

Someone was indeed depressed and I'm pretty sure that Someone was pretty much hand in hand with God.

(See post #4)

Old 08-27-2008, 08:01 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,327,543 times
Jeremiah is perhaps the classic example of depression. Christians can walk with G-d and be depressed. Mood is a human experience, like death, and our spirituality does not transform us from our humanity. Chemical imbalance is a part of the fall of humanity, which is why we haven't yet absorbed perfection. Christians who believe depression is anti-thetical to a walk with G-d have not walked very far or with depth.

There were many people around in Christ's time, but he healed a select few. Why not broadcast healing to all? Aren't all G-d's children worthy? It is serendipity and for an example. Suffering is the Xian walk. Depression will be a part of it. Can one walk with G-d w/o depression? Sure. Can you be a Xian and not experience depression? Sure. Some will be delivered, and some won't, and it is not a measure of spirituality, faith or steadfast love. It's an illness borne to all, subjecting many, and curable for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity