Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:18 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,443,034 times

Advertisements

What do you do when you think you are at a point where you can bear no more? The Bible says God will give you no more than what you can bear. How do you hang on? What do you do when it seems like everything is going wrong? How do you keep the faith when everything inside you wants to give up and your soul is in great despair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 10:37 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,676,862 times
Start with prayer. Tell God how you feel. If you're mad at Him and feel you need to yell at Him, do it. He knows your heart and how you feel. Spend time in His word. Job had some tough times. Read about what he went thru. If nothing it will make your problems seem small. Above all remember that your heavenly father knows what you need to get thru your situation and come out stronger.

Do you have a pastor you can talk to? A church family to help? A burden shared by many is lighter.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Start with prayer. Tell God how you feel. If you're mad at Him and feel you need to yell at Him, do it. He knows your heart and how you feel. Spend time in His word. Job had some tough times. Read about what he went thru. If nothing it will make your problems seem small. Above all remember that your heavenly father knows what you need to get thru your situation and come out stronger.

Do you have a pastor you can talk to? A church family to help? A burden shared by many is lighter.
I don't have a pastor or church. I have been searching for one. I have prayed and prayed and believed in my heart that God would help me through this but I just keep hitting one brick wall after another and things are getting worse and worse.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:23 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,155,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I don't have a pastor or church. I have been searching for one. I have prayed and prayed and believed in my heart that God would help me through this but I just keep hitting one brick wall after another and things are getting worse and worse.
And it will. This is your own personal wilderness walk. A test of faith, if you will. Will you stand, or will you fall? Only you know this! No-one, not a pastor, nor me, nor anyone, can give you what you need. Only God can, according to His Will. The Truth is found only in HIM. To seek Him is your first priority. "Seek first the Kingdom of God". To do this we must be willing to stand through ALL trials, tribulations, and everything that is thrown our way. People who think True Faith is easy, are sadly mistaken. They give up when the "chips" are down. A lot have done this, including me. Thankfully Christ hasn't given up on this old soul, and still has work for me to do.

2Cr 13:5 Test yourselves {to see} if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you--unless indeed you fail the test? But I trust that you will realize that we ourselves do not fail the test.

This word "test" is actually temptations. To tempt. To live in a broken world, without breaking ourselves. A daily walk, with temptations all around. Do we stumble? Do we falter? Do we FALL? At first, yes. But in time, it does get easier. The emotional aspects seem to be the hardest. to capture our thoughts, and keep them IN Christ.

2Cr 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. Destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, and we are ready to punish all disobedience, whenever your obedience is complete. You are looking at things as they are outwardly. If anyone is confident in himself that he is Christ's, let him consider this again within himself, that just as he is Christ's, so also are we.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,620,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
What do you do when you think you are at a point where you can bear no more? The Bible says God will give you no more than what you can bear. How do you hang on? What do you do when it seems like everything is going wrong? How do you keep the faith when everything inside you wants to give up and your soul is in great despair?
Been there. The purpose is to get you to the end of yourself. His strength is made perfect in weakness. We are not islands but there is a point where no flesh and blood person can help you even though you should let someone know what is going on. No one can pray it away. You will discover amazing things about yourself and about your Father.

The only advice I'll give - pray for someone and focus your compassion on someone who has it even worse than yourself.

blessings,
- Byron

Old 07-24-2008, 11:36 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,237,991 times
Originally Posted by PG77
Quote:
God Will Give You No More Than You Can Bear
Only people who have never truly suffered from a depression are naive enough to believe that.

Quote:
How do you keep the faith when everything inside you wants to give up and your soul is in great despair?
By remembering that although I may not love myself when I'm in a depressed state, there are people who still find me worthy of their love.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:36 AM

68 posts, read 255,299 times
I am feeling the very same way today; I've been praying about this for years now and it just seems to get worse. The people in my immediate family are not doing right and causing such heartache to my soul and I don't have a church or pastor either. I feel alone. I listen to messages from bbb.church.com and I pray and pray. The Lord let me know he was near to me because when I was reading a fitness book, on one of the pages was a scripture from one of those daily calendars all folded up; I opened and knew the Lord gave that to me. It is John 15:5 I am the vine and ye are the branches. He that abides in me and I in him, he bears much fruit; for without Me ye can do nothing. The Lord was clearly telling me I can't do it without him and I just need to keep doing right and keep waiting and He will take care of it. It is very hard but I know he is growing me so I have to trust him. I'll keep you in my prayers, I just want the Lord's will to be done.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:52 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
something called divine law of adjustment.
not so everything comes from god, therefore nothing can knock you flat.
not so.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
something called divine law of adjustment.
not so everything comes from god, therefore nothing can knock you flat.
not so.
I am a bit confused by what you have said. Are you saying that since everything comes from God, nothing can knock you flat? I guess the "not so" confused me a bit.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:05 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Sometimes God allows the universe to "break us down," so we are forced into "reconstructing" ourselves - be it our thinking, or the way we are living our lives . . .

To know how deep one's faith really is . . . it has to be tested. It is easy to say "I have faith" and never have the meaning of that put to the test. (Read Job, for example).

Does God ever give us more than we can bear? No, but God is not the only force at work in the Universe. There are times people are pushed over the brink - past any hope (for example - with the death of a child). Those are the times that one's faith is tested. At those times, the only way to "hold on" may be through holding hands w/ others who have faith.

God will not abandon us. However, we may feel abandoned. Faith is the only thing that can hold us through those times - and surrounding ourselves w/ others who have a strong faith can be uplifting. The deep psychological and emotional pain that can arise from events in our lives over wh/ we have little or no control can make us feel totally hopeless. Those are the times we must examine our souls and find out who we really are at the core.

God does not cause bad things to happen to us, but He does allow it. Why? It is only through the bad times that we examine who we are and what we believe. These are times for spiritual growth. When you have been through the storm, you will emerge either with greater faith or w/ bitterness and loss of faith and hope. These are the times when we say we have been through "baptism by fire."

Likewise, when we see someone else struggling w/ devastating circumstances and personal turmoil, that is the time we should reach out and stand beside our brother or sister in faith. Sometimes, the only thing we have to hold onto is the knowledge that just as our brothers and sisters in faith love us, so does our Heavenly Father love us. Sharing one's abiding faith w/ another who is struggling is a way to witness our own faith - and give comfort to those who are struggling.

Don't forget - the Holy Spirit can work through others. When we feel hopeless, seek those around you who are filled w/ the Spirit. God can manifest his enduring love and compassion through others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity