Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:17 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,244,192 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by anifani821
Quote:
Depression can be helped by the proper meds, wh/ can change your brain chemistry.
Or completely rob you of all your creativity.
Unfortunately drugs do more than just combat the affect they are supposed to treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 06:06 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,877,123 times
There are times in your life all you can do is to LET GO AND LET GOD. Honestly, I have had enough times in my life where I just thought I could not take much more... but I would just step back, pray, and remind myself I can only change the things that I have control over. Things like death, bad relationships, illnesses... these things need time and healing... in more ways than one and it isn't instantly taken care of. I just had to offer it up and pray for the strength to get through it... I do believe God knows what you can handle on your own and when he needs to carry you...

Old 07-25-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by skbs
Quote:
There are times in your life all you can do is to LET GO AND LET GOD.
When you give this advice to someone who suffers from manic depression and is in his negative peak it often results in suicide.
Most suicides are committed by people who suffer from (manic) depression.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by skbs When you give this advice to someone who suffers from manic depression and is in his negative peak it often results in suicide.
Most suicides are committed by people who suffer from (manic) depression.
Some things are just out of your CONTROL and people need to just step back and pray... that is all I am saying... I don't think Let go and let God is going to send anyone over the deep end....it is just accepting the fact that you cannot control every situation... no harm in having the Lord help you through it.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I don't think Let go and let God is going to send anyone over the deep end
I assume you have no experience with people who suffer from a (manic) depression?
A depression would be the same as a Christian who believes that God already has abandoned him.

It is wise to not make any comments about things you have no knowledge of and / or have no experience with.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbsI assume you have no experience with people who suffer from a (manic) depression?
A depression would be the same as a Christian who believes that God already has abandoned him.

It is wise to not make any comments about things you have no knowledge of and / or have no experience with.
I actually do have experience with depression... I had a boyfriend with it... not fun... four years of rough road... the whole LETTING GO AND LETTING GOD... it works.

AND the OP asked What do YOU/How do YOU deal and cope... I answered SPEAKING FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE... you can see where I mention RELATIONSHIPS in my first comment... a personal experience... a relationship with an individual who suffered a great deal... and I suffered right along side...I thought that was what the OP was asking for... so that was how I answered... didn't realize I had to check with the Editor in Chief...

Old 07-25-2008, 07:19 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,530,537 times
Pg77, I hope that you will seek some professional advice on this depression as well as fellow christians whom you trust to share with.. .Realize that Professional Counselors can be Gods answer to your prayers. God uses many tools in answering our prayers, and some time they are from strangers, Drs, Counselors, maybe even a book you pick up..Maybe, just maybe God is showing you the answer through one of these sources.
.I wish the very best for you and will also pray that you recognize what God may already be showing you as an answer to your prayers...

Old 07-25-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I had a boyfriend with it
I meant have a personal experience with suffering from (manic) depression.
Suffered from (manic) depression yourself.

Quote:
you can see where I mention RELATIONSHIPS in my first comment... a personal experience... a relationship with an individual who suffered a great deal... and I suffered right along side
This is true for people who live with people who suffer from (manic) depression.
The only thing partners and family members can do is be there for the depressed individual.
But they also have to acknowledge that there is a great chance that their loved one will never be cured of (manic) depression.
Sometimes partners of (manic) depressive people do not acknowledge that their partner is depressed, or they are unwilling to admit hat they cannot take care of their partner when they are severely depressed.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs I meant have a personal experience with suffering from (manic) depression.
Suffered from (manic) depression yourself.

This is true for people who live with people who suffer from (manic) depression.
The only thing partners and family members can do is be there for the depressed individual.
But they also have to acknowledge that there is a great chance that their loved one will never be cured of (manic) depression.
Sometimes partners of (manic) depressive people do not acknowledge that their partner is depressed, or they are unwilling to admit hat they cannot take care of their partner when they are severely depressed.
So is there some sort of PhD in your posession which grants you the power to hand over such lectures or is it the fact that I answered the question the OP asked based on personal experience and discussions with my ex that you find bothersome? Just because you do not personally find my answer appealing does not mean it is not relavent....perhaps it us just not the advice you would choose to give, that is fine... but I answered the OP not you.

Also, I wasn't manic but I suffered from ppd after my second child was born a month after my favorite grandfather died... a lot of cr*p hit the fan all at the same time and I was sent into a slide myself for a year... and yes, PRAYER and Family support was a huge help... uless you truly know someone and their life experiences you might want to pause prior to the lecture...

Last edited by skbs; 07-25-2008 at 07:58 PM..

Old 07-25-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
So is there some sort of PhD in your posession which grants you the power to hand over such lectures or is it the fact that I answered the question the OP asked based on personal experience and discussions with my ex that you find bothersome?
Not only have I personally suffered from depressions myself, I also have experience with family and friends who have had to deal with me when I was severely depressed.

What makes you think that I find your opinion bothersome?
I just share my experience of that of someone who suffered from depression and my experience with how family and friends often are powerless.
There is nothing they can do to ease the depression, but be there.
I agree with your statement that family, friends and religion are powerless.

The 1 who suffers from (manic) depression has to deal with this himself, with the help of his therapy group and medical experts who are trained to deal with people who suffer from (manic) depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity