Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:10 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,133,088 times

Advertisements

This is the conundrum that the believer in eternal torment fall into:

Either:

1. God really wants to save all people, but is unable.
OR
2. God doesn't really want to save all people and intended for people to be tormented forever.

One makes God a weaking and the other makes God a monster. Both are unscriptural. All beliefs in eternal torment can be condensed into one of these two options.

Eternal torment is a doctrine straight from Satan. What better way to discredit God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 12:26 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,571,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
This is the conundrum that the believer in eternal torment fall into:

Either:

1. God really wants to save all people, but is unable.
OR
2. God doesn't really want to save all people and intended for people to be tormented forever.

One makes God a weaking and the other makes God a monster. Both are unscriptural. All beliefs in eternal torment can be condensed into one of these two options.

Eternal torment is a doctrine straight from Satan. What better way to discredit God.
The conundrum is yours in the making and really not a conundrum at all.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:27 PM

If you are struggling with this idea of hell, and whether God would purpose or allow billions to be tormented forever, this article is worth read.

But if you are happy that billions will be tormented forever, there is no reason for you to read the article.

The Bottom Line

From the article:
...the BOTTOM LINE ISSUE. And it is simply this: If God does not save everyone, that is either because--

(1) He cannot
or--
(2) He will not.

Pure and simple, either one of these bottom line doctrinal concepts is rooted in arrogant, TOXIC religiosity. If it is true that God cannot help us unless we assist Him, then of course we will come to feel that Omnipotence needs our help, not vice versa! Or if He does not want to save all people, but only some of us, then some folks will be prone to boast (at least inwardly) that He loves them and hates others.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
The conundrum is yours in the making and really not a conundrum at all.
Please explain Fundy. Which is it? Is God unable or unwilling? Or is there some third option here?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:35 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Galations 5:19-21
"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. "

Never means never..............

Old 03-06-2010, 12:37 PM

This paradigm of eternal torment is rooted heavily in self-pride.

It leads to believing either:

1. "I was wise and smart and blessed enough to make the right choice so that I would be saved, while some other people did not make the right choice because they were foolish"

OR

2. "God picked me to be saved and not some other people"

Both provide a massive boost to the ego.

Of course some people simply believe eternal torment because they are too scared they will end up there if they question the belief. It is for these people who should consider the OP. Is God unable to save all or unwilling to save all?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Galations 5:19-21
"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. "

Never means never..............but not to those who reject sound doctrine.
Gal 5:19-21 is not talking about hell or heaven. It is talking about reigning with God in His Kingdom. I agree not everyone will inherit this reign.

But twin.spin, which do you believe it is:

1. Is God unable to save all?
OR
2. unwilling to save all?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:52 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,437,779 times
That UR interpretation of the ancient language is in error.

God wants all people to be saved, just as He wants people to not sin, just as He wanted to gather the Jews under His wing. But mankind rebels against Him.
I have already dealt with this verse, and it has been removed from the UR paradigm as a source for their belief. Too bad for UR.

But, you all can continue on in your errors. Suit yourself.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
That UR interpretation of the ancient language is in error.

God wants all people to be saved, just as He wants people to not sin, just as He wanted to gather the Jews under His wing. But mankind rebels against Him.
I have already dealt with this verse, and it has been removed from the UR paradigm as a source for their belief. Too bad for UR.

But, you all can continue on in your errors. Suit yourself.
So it sounds like you think God is unable to save all people because man rebelled. Man's rebellion stumped God?

If not please clarify.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:00 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,437,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
So it sounds like you think God is unable to save all people because man rebelled. Man's rebellion stumped God?

If not please clarify.

You tell me.....do you sin? Did the Jews gather under His wing?
Like I said...thelo has NOTHING to do with the WILL OF GOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity