Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2022, 07:20 AM

4,625 posts, read 1,170,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Lazarus, in the grave, was not dead but sleeping.

When Jesus went to wake him up, I am certain that he had the option of going back to sleep. It was his choice of whether to wake up fully or else go back to sleep.

That halfway state that one is in when he is being woken up from sleep, I relate to being drawn to Christ by the Holy Spirit. The person then has the opportunity to believe and wake up fully, or to disbelieve and go back into being spiritually dead.

Being drawn to Christ is not the exact same thing as regeneration.

When a man is regenerated he is born again and will begin to walk with Christ.

When he is merely drawn to Christ he has the option of rejecting Christ's claim upon his life.
Lazarus was dead. Listen to Jesus

Jn 11:14

Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 12:00 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am I a Prophet View Post
I think this is where universalists like me and conservatives like you begin to diverge. If we have free will, is it best to hover over the bar of salvation? Because universalists believe that isn't necessary, we concentrate upon other choices, like whether to approach the world with the idea of love or not. I know the idea of love is fraught with peril. Many these days expand that until they abuse others. I think you know I am not advocating that.

It's time for Christianity to come down from its narcissistic position of ignoring what love means to the world. We are talking about the sort of love promoted by God. We are talking about the love that engenders arguments over equality. We are talking about the sort of love that engenders forgiveness toward all sorts of people, not just those who are your friends. It is, necessarily, both the recognition of who a person is, that they are valuable, but also a respect for what they have made of themselves, up to the point where it doesn't rob others of the same.

Yeah, that's pretty tricky. Does it rob a dyed in the wool conservative of their peace of mind and sense of themselves if they have to accept a gay person? I don't think so. Conservatives, however, may disagree. And most of this is made out of perception. You do realize you aren't being asked to be gay, if you are pressed with such a question, I hope? Because its not about becoming some universal person who is in-differentiable from all of the other in-differentiable persons. It's about realizing that the lack of love is what causes so many problems, most problems, and that people need that to solve their problems, not judgment.

Old 03-01-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
He did not say that it directly applied to you.
Only wear the shoe if it fits.
Don't be coy. It was cited specifically to me and there is nothing in it that applies to me but it is accusatory.

Old 03-01-2022, 02:59 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Don't be coy. It was cited specifically to me and there is nothing in it that applies to me but it is accusatory.
Any time a scripture is quoted that reveals particular sin, it is a probe by the Holy Spirit into the lives of everyone to whom it is quoted.

Heb 4:12, For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The quoting of a scripture is not necessarily an accusation; but is normally a probe into the life of the one to whom the scripture is quoted, to discern the thoughts and intents of his or her heart.

If the scripture that has been quoted does not apply to you, then simply say so.

The Holy Spirit can reveal to you whether the scripture in question applies to you or not.

If you don't sin, then you probably are aware of that fact.

If you do commit sin and cannot cease from doing so, then I am certain that you would also be aware of that, if it be so.

But when we quote the scriptures it is in order to shed light on a situation. And the light will reveal the truth of the matter.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
Lazarus was dead. Listen to Jesus

Jn 11:14

Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
Look at John 11:11.

Was the girl that Jesus raised also dead (see Matthew 9:24)?

Old 03-01-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Any time a scripture is quoted that reveals particular sin, it is a probe by the Holy Spirit into the lives of everyone to whom it is quoted.
Hogwash. It is an accusation and that is why you are accusers of the brethren when you do it. You will not be happy that you have been so foolish, brother.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Hogwash. It is an accusation and that is why you are accusers of the brethren when you do it. You will not be happy that you have been so foolish, brother.
Neither I not @Brightfame52 have accused anyone.

But you are accusing us of being the devil himself (the accuser of the brethren).

You will not be happy that you have been so foolish.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Neither I not @Brightfame52 have accused anyone.
But you are accusing us of being the devil himself (the accuser of the brethren).
You will not be happy that you have been so foolish.
You really don't get it, do you? You are NOT to accuse, imply, suggest, probe, or do anything else about someone's sins because God is NOT counting them against us. Your focus on the fear of Hell and convicting people of their sins is the work of the accuser, NOT God and certainly not the Holy Spirit who IS infinite agape love and forgiveness.

You are playing for the wrong team, brother. Come join the agape love team. You would be an awesome evangel of God instead of a destructive and counterproductive accuser. Paul tried to point out that it makes no sense for a Christian to follow "the precepts and doctrines of men."

Colossians 2:19 King James Version
. . . If you have died with Christ to the elements of the world, why, as if still living in the world, do you lay down the rules . . . Things that must all perish in their very use? In this, you follow the 'precepts and doctrines of men.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:24 PM

It is the Holy Spirit's job to convict the world of sin and of righteousness and of judgment (John 16:8).

God does hold against the sinner, his sins, when he rejects the gospel that Jesus died for his sins (John 3:17-21,36).

Take all of scripture into account, not just the isolated verses that are pleasing to you.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:35 PM

4,625 posts, read 1,170,418 times
Quote:
Look at John 11:11.

Was the girl that Jesus raised also dead (see Matthew 9:24)?
According to Jesus was Lazarus dead ? Yes or No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity