Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 02:53 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,383,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
But your arguments about the Greek are simply your opinion and have no real authoritative backing.

αἰώνιον means eternal/everlasting.

aeternum means eternal/everlasting.

Try to work around that if you want. Complicate the simple and square your circles.

The near unanimous consensus of Christianity throughout the ages affirms the doctrine of eternal hell. Your opinion is in the extreme minority and always has been. If that doesn't bother you, then fine; but it would bother me.
There is no work around I need to do mike scripture itself declares the aions come to an end therefore they simply cannot mean eternal.

And your last paragraph is simply wrong. There were 6 churches of the early days, one that held to eternal torment, one that held to annihilation and four that held to universal salvation

Old 08-23-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
Actually you do deny it. Look, if Christ does not, in-fact, save the world, then He is not the savior of the world. This should be obvious to anyone who reads scripture for what it actually says rather than through the lens of Church dogma and the traditions of men.
Logically yup.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're looking for.

I do agree that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, as I have repeatedly affirmed. You are wanting to understand what that means?
Show me how what you believe agrees with Jesus Christ being the saviour of the world

Old 08-23-2022, 02:58 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
The soul is not reprobate, at least not according to the spirit. That's simply Augustine's doctrines talking. Can you show me where the very breath of God (Gen 2:7), the spirit of man, the very image of God (Gen 1:26-27), also called the candle of the Lord (Pro 20:27), is ever called reprobate?
You say "simply Augustine's doctrines"; but to many of us, that carries serious weight. Certainly more weight than people like J.W. Hanson!

The word "reprobate" is used several times in the KJV. It's a bit archaic, so may not appear in newer translations.

Jeremiah 6:30 Reprobate silver shall men call them, because the Lord hath rejected them

Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient

2 Timothy 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith

Titus 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate

Old 08-23-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
There were 6 churches of the early days, one that held to eternal torment, one that held to annihilation and four that held to universal salvation
What is your source for this claim?

Old 08-23-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Show me how what you believe agrees with Jesus Christ being the saviour of the world
He is the Savior of every nation. He has redeemed humanity and the world and will restore justice to all.

"Behold, I make all things new"

He will make a new heavens and a new earth.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:04 PM

1,091 posts, read 277,933 times
Quote:
Two things are obvious here:

1) You have a difficult time understanding nuance in language...
Yes, I do. And the reason I call on the Holy Spirit to guide my understanding. Here are some scriptures that confirmed my own tradition, and calling on the Lord:

Luk 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Have you thought about asking God to do this for you too?

Old 08-23-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Of course I am. I was taught the traditions of men, shortly after coming to faith in Christ, just like you.

However, the Holy Spirit would never allow me to embrace those doctrines, but would always lead me through the scriptures instructing me what to believe. When I was taught something the Spirit did not want me to believe, I would feel Christ's Spirit grieve within me. That is how I knew what doctrines were from God and what were from man.

When I would come home from school, I simply went into my bedroom, closed the door and opened my bible. I was a very poor reader at the time, 17 years of age and until then only cared about baseball, girls in school, and having a beer or two with my friends on weekends.

So, the Holy Spirit, having little to work with, would graciously sit next to me, and help me through my infirmities by lifting the texts off the bible and floating them into my heart. Those texts I share with others here on City-Data.
Nice,

My dad is partially to blame for me being a believer in the salvation of all. At a young age my dad told me to never take mans word for anything, go look through the scriptures themselves to see if what people are saying is true or not. So when I got a glimpse of the salvation of all nothing anyone said could shake the witness I received from the glimpse and then searching the scriptures. It is ironic that the advice my dad gave me came back and bit him in the rear end as he was a believer in eternal torment and could not get me back into the fold so to speak.

I don’t know about you brother but when God first showed me the salvation of all my spirit leapt with joy and I wondered how in the world could I have ever believed in eternal torment.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:10 PM

1,091 posts, read 277,933 times
Quote:
You say "simply Augustine's doctrines"; but to many of us, that carries serious weight. Certainly more weight than people like J.W. Hanson!

The word "reprobate" is used several times in the KJV. It's a bit archaic, so may not appear in newer translations.

Jeremiah 6:30 Reprobate silver shall men call them, because the Lord hath rejected them

Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient

2 Timothy 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith

Titus 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate
Yes, I know the term (Gk "ἀδόκιμος"), what it means and where it's used in scripture. That was not my question. What I asked is where that term is used with regards to the spirit of man. Do you have a scripture?

Old 08-23-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
What is your source for this claim?
History.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity