Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 05:50 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,989,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
[i]If you want a direct answer; it was from people like yourself.]
I asked you, because I wanted your opinion/. It is strange so many refuse to answer it, although the it is a very simple and honest question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus' death on the cross is the most important event in human history. By it, we are healed.

Isaiah 53:5

But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed.
Very important indeed. Not surprisingly many here do not think so. Some ever suggest it was a bit of an accident.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So NOW you are back to claiming that condemnation of one particular practice within the whole spectrum of slavery condemns slavery, even though there are numerous passages about how to treat your slaves in the Bible that CLEARLY show support for the institution? Seriously?

BTW, by FAR the most slaves imported from Africa were bought from slave traders and not kidnapped. Get your facts straight.
The verse speaks for itself. It seems you have a hard time admitting it when you are proven wrong.

African slaves were kidnapped. If you can prove theiy volunteered, then please do so. It does not matter who did the actual kidnapping, the locals or the Americans/Europeans. Hebrew slaves (bond servant), on the other hand actually did volunteer. It was an agreement to pay off debts.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:09 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,595,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The verse speaks for itself. It seems you have a hard time admitting it when you are proven wrong.

African slaves were kidnapped. If you can prove theiy volunteered, then please do so. It does not matter who did the actual kidnapping, the locals or the Americans/Europeans. Hebrew slaves (bond servant), on the other hand actually did volunteer. It was an agreement to pay off debts.
So you are saying that the only slaves throughout Israel and Judah back then were ones that volunteered to be ?.

“Now these are the rules that you shall set before them. When you BUY a Hebrew slave. Exodus 21:1

Old 09-05-2016, 08:34 AM
Status: "Anyone who really wants the truth ends up at Jesus." (set 2 hours ago)

20,513 posts, read 12,978,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Not according to the "by his stripes we are healed' scripture you quoted . If you are healed of sin you are no longer a sinner(this makes perfectly good sense to me). Or is it something different you believe we are healed from

You asked me for a bible verse where it states we are already free, well, by his striped we are healed is one of many that says that. You still struggle with sin because you believe you are still a sinner rather than healed from it.
You're a sinner just like me. Whether you are redeemed, I do not know. Christians should sin less, but since the flesh is weak, becoming completely sinless is challenging, to say the least. The apostle Paul called himself the chief sinner. Peter denied Christ. Moses was a murderer. David was a murderer and an adulterer. Abraham was a liar. Yet God loved them all.

We are only free (healed by His stripes) when we believe Jesus, not before. John 3:16

Old 09-05-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You're a sinner just like me. Whether you are redeemed, I do not know. Christians should sin less, but since the flesh is weak, becoming completely sinless is challenging, to say the least. The apostle Paul called himself the chief sinner. Peter denied Christ. Moses was a murderer. David was a murderer and an adulterer. Abraham was a liar. Yet God loved them all.

We are only free (healed by His stripes) when we believe Jesus, not before. John 3:16
You are believing contrary to the scripture you quoted. The scripture you quoted states we are healed....What are you healed from ? if sin, then why are you still calling yourself a sinner ?.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:06 AM

17,071 posts, read 11,060,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So you are saying that the only slaves throughout Israel and Judah back then were ones that volunteered to be ?.

“Now these are the rules that you shall set before them. When you BUY a Hebrew slave. Exodus 21:1
THIS is what he resorts to to maintain his fiction that the Spirit doesn't teach anything that can't be found in the Bible. He and others like him will do anything to maintain the spurious "authority" of scripture rather than accept what Jesus promised in that scripture.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
THIS is what he resorts to to maintain his fiction that the Spirit doesn't teach anything that can't be found in the Bible. He and others like him will do anything to maintain the spurious "authority" of scripture rather than accept what Jesus promised in that scripture.
This i know, the Spirit does not bring slavery, yet the bible advocates it. So we know the Spirit not advocating slavery cannot be found in the bible.

This God gave us book nonsense is beyond a joke, and for the fundamentalist to claim they only believe what the bible says is laughable when such things as " God gave us a book" or " we should only believe what's in the bible" cannot be found in the scriptures, yet the very thing God did give us can be found in many places in the scriptures in the OT, yet listening to them, you'd never believe it.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Yes, I resort to showing you verses you have no idea existed.

I am sorry you are not able to deal with being wrong. If you have other examples, please provide them, because this one obviously failed.

Also, your claim about "authority" is beyond dishonest given the number of times you have been corrected.

Any 'spirit' which tells you to lie, it from Satan. Do not listen to it.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:09 AM

17,071 posts, read 11,060,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I resort to showing you verses you have no idea existed.

I am sorry you are not able to deal with being wrong. If you have other examples, please provide them, because this one obviously failed.

Also, your claim about "authority" is beyond dishonest given the number of times you have been corrected.

Any 'spirit' which tells you to lie, it from Satan. Do not listen to it.
Finn, the question was about the iNSTITUTION of slavery, not about whether Slavery in America was wrong because Africans were kidnapped. You have not addressed that question because you KNOW that the OT injunctions about how to treat slaves clearly show acceptance of the INSTITUTION and it is that INSTITUTION that the Spirit teaches is wrong.

Avoiding is just another way of lying, Finn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity