Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 06:01 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I asked you how you learned about His death, so I guess you avoided answering once again. No surprise there.

Have a nice day.
If you want a direct answer; it was from people like yourself.

However, after reading for myself:

It appears that the death of Jesus was brought about through human volition, given the political and religious powers of the day. Although at the same time, Jesus was fully aware that his message and what he represented to the status quo, would ultimately lead to a violent death. Thus, his life was an issue in setting the captives free from the established sects of that day. But his death was not divinely foreordained as a penal substitution, whereas, there is no greater love than to lay one's own life down for that of another. Many are fixated on Jesus' death, and will accept nothing but the blood of Jesus, as "they know not, what they do." Although, there is only ONE whose undeniable innocence (not an ordinary victim) was able to change the process of scapegoating (a slaughterhouse religion having a carnivorous diet). And it is a saving act of God; a victory over the powers of this world (men) and a defeat of death, reversing it through his Life and Resurrection. The cross may, indeed be, the centerpiece of the Christian religion, but it is not God's altar, nor does it impute you with some kind of mystical righteousness while overlooking your sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 06:02 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Jesus' death on the cross is the most important event in human history. By it, we are healed.

Isaiah 53:5

But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:07 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
It's easy to say "the spirit told me the Bible is garbage".
Jesus told a bunch of bible worshippers they would never see him again until they said blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. What you are failing to see is what the use of the scriptures are for. They're a road map to finding him of whom they testify of(you do not believe the scriptures if you reject this). The Ethiopian eunuch having used it found Christ not a belief in the bible. Where was the Christ he found in your opinion ?.

It really is tedious you lying by saying that those who disagree with you believe the bible is garbage.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:19 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus' death on the cross is the most important event in human history. By it, we are healed.

He was not your whipping boy.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
He was not your whipping boy.
2 Corinthians 5

21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:23 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

This is what I don't understand. If you believe we are healed why do you continue to say sinner? Maybe you don't say sinner, I could have misunderstood you before.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:27 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
He won't answer because he has tried and failed in the past. No one has been able to offer a valid answer. He said there is nothing in the Bible which condemns slavery, and I told him that Exodus 21:16 states, “Anyone who kidnaps someone is to be put to death, whether the victim has been sold or is still in the kidnapper’s possession.” Americans and Europeans kidnapped people from Africa and brought them here to work as slaves, and the bible condemns such behavior. I also told him it violates "love your neighbor" commandment. Thirdly I mentioned Paul said "do not become slaves of other people". He was against slavery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And THEN you were shown that that does NOT condemn slavery and that other passages concerning how to treat slaves clearly support the institution itself, which you had to acknowledge, and THEN you said that the golden rule covers it.

You have an AMAZINGLY selective memory, Finn.

However, I will give you credit fpr one thing: you don't try to pass off the idea that there is really nothing wrong with slavery itself as some do when put into the same position.
Quote:
Sorry Nate, but you lose when you claim there is nothing in the Bible which condemns slavery, and then someone proves you dead wrong by quoting some verses which condemn it.

It is what it is.

So, how do you know about the death of Jesus? Is his death an important event?
So NOW you are back to claiming that condemnation of one particular practice within the whole spectrum of slavery condemns slavery, even though there are numerous passages about how to treat your slaves in the Bible that CLEARLY show support for the institution? Seriously?

BTW, by FAR the most slaves imported from Africa were bought from slave traders and not kidnapped. Get your facts straight.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
This is what I don't understand. If you believe we are healed why do you continue to say sinner? Maybe you don't say sinner, I could have misunderstood you before.
One is not saved (born again) until they believe.

Romans 10

If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Until then, one remains an unredeemed sinner.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:31 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So NOW you are back to claiming that condemnation of one particular practice within the whole spectrum of slavery condemns slavery, even though there are numerous passages about how to treat your slaves in the Bible that CLEARLY show support for the institution? Seriously?

BTW, by FAR the most slaves imported from Africa were bought from slave traders and not kidnapped. Get your facts straight.
I agree, the bible(both testaments) seems to support slavery.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:41 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I agree, the bible(both testaments) seems to support slavery.
I also support it, so does the United States Of America and the fact is there are more slaves today than any other time in history!

Although I cannot support most of the reasons for modern slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity