Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgirk3 View Post
Finally, a Chicagoan who is objective in his opinions. I applaud you sir. There's been a sharp spike in the number of Chicagoans who may be realizing they just don't care much for living in the city of Chicago. It's a very real fact that people are moving away from Chicago/Cook County in droves. The vacancy rate is very high, and the taxes keep climbing. You are spot on when you say that locals do not really take advantage of the amenities. The tourists/conventions are what drive that aspect. The AVERAGE locals are too busy working that double shift to pay off their overvalued properties,gas guzzling SUVs, and their other metro status symbols. In my experience, people who live in Chicago love to brag about a city they did not even help create, a city that almost anyone could live in if they had half a brain, but only 2 million are crazy (or dumb) enough to...everyone else is in the suburbs. Or they move to Arizona.
Twaddle like this makes it very difficult not to hate certain people from Milwaukee...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:03 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Now that you mention it, yes. Yes I do.

I hate people from Milwaukee.

Why do you exist?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 AM

8,290 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Quote:
Now that you mention it, yes. Yes I do.

I hate people from Milwaukee.

Why do you exist?
Because...I'm Good enough, I'm Smart enough and Doggone it people like me!!!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:01 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgirk3 View Post
Again that's skewed. Milwaukee has "fewer" nice areas because Milwaukee is 1/10th the size of Chicago. There are many nice areas in Greater Milwaukee too, most of them on the upper east side or western edge of town. Then there are literally dozens of nice suburbs for a reletively small metro area. You could also easily view it the other way around...for every nice neighborhood in Chicago, there are a dozen ghettoy or gentrified areas. Those are types of areas both cities have in common. Except that Chicago is bigger so guess what?....more ghetto. All I know is..Chicago is the only city in America where I was pulled over on my motorcycle by a cop in a bad neighborhood and he told me I needed to get back on the Interstate before I was "targeted" by gangs for being white.
The only thing skewed is your silly point of view. I've lived in both cities. Milwaukee just doesn't have the gentrification pressure that Chicago has, and the gentrified portions of the city are a MUCH smaller proportion of the ovearall city. Why? Milwaukee doesn't have the huge influx of young professionals from the region--and nation. There just not as much demand for an urban Milwaukee lifestyle amongst people of means.

I lived on the east side up and down the lakefront, and also did a short stint in Bay View. These areas have made great strides since the mid-nineties. I'm VERY familiar with the city and worked on certain planning initiatives when I lived there. You can trash Chicago all you want, but Milwaukee has most of the same problems that Chicago has, but often in greater measure. I'm pulling for Milwaukee, I really am. It was once my home. But the things you are stating are simply ridiculous--and give away some kind of weird inferiority complex.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,556,921 times
Isn't Milwaukee our northern most suburb or something like that?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Wrigley North

YouTube - WSSP Take Back Miller Park

Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 AM

43 posts, read 138,951 times
Why would people HATE people from Milwaukee? lol I think this is the dumbest question ever asked. I would never want to live in Milwaukee but I don't hate people who do. Silly.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:05 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
I don't know how Chicagoans could hate Milwaukeeans or vice versa. Sports teams of course but not the people.

Out of all of the big cities in the Midwest I'd choose Milwaukee over any city other than Chicago.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,861,125 times
This is the dumbest thread I have ever read. I am mad at myself for investing 5 minutes of my life that I will never get back!

Old 02-20-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
This is the dumbest thread I have ever read. I am mad at myself for investing 5 minutes of my life that I will never get back!
The only reason I posted this thread was a little tongue-in-cheek, but I have encountered people from Chicago saying" I hate people from Milwaukee" on numerous occasions not my friends but people I have just come a crossed. I'm not bitter about it I just was pointing out the obvious that more people than you realize are very arrogant Chicagoan not majority but more than you think.

Case in point: I remember my first 3 trips down to Chicago I met some people and all day all they did was trash Milwaukee and Wisconsin and asked me when are we were getting electricity or telephones and when year do you think they will pave the roads up there. That's all they said, these were just random people I met at a bar when I was 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago