Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Iowa (at least Des Moines) has longer days by about 40 minutes than Chicago or Milwaukee, and it's at least 10 degrees warmer most of the time.
Huh? How can the days be longer by 40 minutes when Des Moines nearly the same parallel as Chicago and only a couple degrees further south than Milwaukee? During the solstices, the difference in daylight between Des Moines and Milwaukee is about 10 minutes -- and Des Moines' are 10 minutes shorter in the summer solstice. The difference in daylight hours between Chicago and Des Moines is negligible.

10 degrees warmer in Des Moines? Huh??

Where do you get this nonsense?

Quote:
I can see someone from NY or LA probably putting Chicago in the same sentence as South Bend, Indiana.
Anyone who puts Chicago on the same plane as South Bend is a right imbecile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 08:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Hey, even I don't like certain people from certain elginesk suburbs in Milwaukee City ie: Crudahy...lol.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 PM

188 posts, read 477,428 times
i find it the other way actually. I goto school in wisconsin, and was born and raised in chicagoland. i get called a fib(****ing illinois bastard) or a flatlander. By anyone that knows your from south. Mainly because chicago was suppose to be in Wisconsin. State lines got changed and illinois got chicago...thank god

Old 02-21-2009, 09:42 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Huh? How can the days be longer by 40 minutes when Des Moines nearly the same parallel as Chicago and only a couple degrees further south than Milwaukee? During the solstices, the difference in daylight between Des Moines and Milwaukee is about 10 minutes -- and Des Moines' are 10 minutes shorter in the summer solstice. The difference in daylight hours between Chicago and Des Moines is negligible.

10 degrees warmer in Des Moines? Huh??

Where do you get this nonsense?
Current temp in Chicago: 24. Current temp in Des Moines: 18.

But don't let something like THAT deter your point, JoneS.

As for the days, I can only think that Chicago's proximity to the Eastern time zone is throwing the poor lad off. Earlier sundowns do not mean shorter days, buddyolpal.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:54 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
Quote:
You are right, I think most everyone in Milwaukee is very much aware, that it's a much smaller city than Chicago, and it's not even a fair comparison. It's like an owner of a mansion telling a guy in a small house, that his house is bigger and better, and then taking immense pride in that. Chicago knows on a scale of national importance it cannot compete with NYC or LA (or even Boston, SF, Seattle) for that matter, so some residents will pick on regional cities as an excuse to pat themselves on the back. Milwaukee is one of the few cities it's size that doesn't have a "megacity" complex, the same way midwestern cities such as Indianapolis, Omaha, Des Moines seem to have, maybe having Chicago so close is a reason for that.

Also, Chicago totally avoids all comparison with Minneapolis, I think that's interesting. In some aspects, Minneapolis looks more "futuristic" than Chicago.
Where did you get either of those from?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:09 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonra25 View Post
i find it the other way actually. I goto school in wisconsin, and was born and raised in chicagoland. i get called a fib(****ing illinois bastard) or a flatlander. By anyone that knows your from south. Mainly because chicago was suppose to be in Wisconsin. State lines got changed and illinois got chicago...thank god
FIB is a term of endearment... Okay, maybe not, but it's certainly no worse than "cheesehead". I jokingly call people FIBs all of the time, and I live here. My wife was born in Illinois. My daughter was born in Chicago. FIBs, all of 'em! Heck, I've been called a FIB by a snot-nosed teenager at a Green Bay gas station.

New Englanders call Bostonians "Mass Holes". It's common for a more pastoral state to have a name for it's urban neighbor. But I don't think it really symbolizes any genuine hostility. Only an idiot hates someone because they are from a different state. We're talking about real mouth-breathing half-witted morons here...

Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

But don't let something like THAT deter your point, JoneS.

As for the days, I can only think that Chicago's proximity to the Eastern time zone is throwing the poor lad off. Earlier sundowns do not mean shorter days, buddyolpal.
That happens on occasion, but I've lived in both metros and can tell you that winters in Des Moines are much less brutal, and on average, it is warmer. Maybe the lake has something to do with it. You should check the weather at random times for the next few weeks if you want to see for yourself.

I understand earlier sundowns do not mean "shorter days" in the technical sense, but you notice when it gets dark out about 30 minutes earlier.

And I don't think anyone literally puts Chicago in the same sentence as South Bend, but that entire region of the country isn't exactly seen as anywhere desirable, that's the point I was trying to illustrate.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:36 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Where did you get either of those from?
Simply being in the midwest takes away from the appeal, while Boston and SF benefit from being on the coasts, and they are smaller than Chicago.

Minneapolis has a more futuristic look, maybe it's because they have modern light rail.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
That happens on occasion, but I've lived in both metros and can tell you that winters in Des Moines are much less brutal...

...but that entire region of the country isn't exactly seen as anywhere desirable, that's the point I was trying to illustrate
Ok, before I go any further with ripping your statements to shreds-Des Moines has a "Metro?"
LMAO. Oh surely you jest.

Des Moines is barely even considered a city. It is more like a large small town.

The Des Moines area is more desirable than Chicago? Are you on crack?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
2/21/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

But don't let something like THAT deter your point, JoneS...
2/22/09
Current temp in Des Moines: 14. (Feels like 5)
Current Temp in Chicago 17. (Feels like 8)

Chicago Weather Forecast and Conditions Illinois
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago