Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 06:36 AM

179 posts, read 272,190 times

Advertisements

Though I've already posted what is pasted below in the Milwaukee forum, I thought that some readers here might be able to give me some input and, perhaps, provide information that will help out others like me who are Chicagoland natives but who are going to spend some time in Milwaukee. Please type away any thoughts you have:

Greetings, Milwaukee natives, residents, and fans.

I'm hopeful that you can provide some suggestions for a probable day trip my mother and I will take between August 3rd and 12th. She's a southern Wisconsin native and I'm a Chicagoland native, so we're not foreign to the Midwest, but I have spent very little time in Milwaukee. I greatly enjoyed my visit to the art museum six summers ago, but there's little I've done in the city outside of that.

My assumption is that a first decision is whether to drive up on a weekend or a weekday. What do you suggest based on the time frame in which we'll head to the city? Would a particular weekend day be best due to the presence of festivals, markets, and other events, or might a weekend day be too much of a parking/traffic hassle? I would love to read about all the pros and cons you think up.

My interests lie in what sets Milwaukee apart from other places, especially Chicagoland. I would prefer to do lots of walking, even if that might mean exploring one neighborhood, driving to a different one, and then exploring that second one on foot again. I'm very interested in a city's ethnic heritage, recent or distant, so I would appreciate recommendations for any ethnic museums, restaurants, stores, etc. that you enjoy. One thing I try to take advantage of in any locale is the cultural scene, so if there are any free or reasonably-priced music, dance, or other performances, please provide a link or information so that I can pursue those. If there are any beautiful parks or walks that are worth doing, please let me know which ones you like. Finally, if there are any places for men's shoes or clothing that are unique to Milwaukee and not too expensive, please inform me of where to find them.

As for my mom, she's really into books, so she might enjoy spending time in a non-chain bookstore. She also loves candles, so any candle places that are not also common to Chicagoland may be good stops for her.

Of course, any insight or pointers for Milwaukee's local flavor/scenes are most welcome, whether they are sculptures to look out for, sayings/local personalities that everyone knows about, or anything else.

Many thanks in advance for any input. I hope to gain a better appreciation for and understanding of Milwaukee during this visit and future ones.

Last comment in this post: suggestions for things not in the city itself but suburbs or places nearby are also appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
hmm... when I went with my wife we really loved the Lakefront Brewery tour, but sounds like that might not be ideal for your trip!

Old 07-05-2012, 12:37 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
One thing if you're out and about .. Taxis are not as plentiful in some parts of the city as they here ..surprised some people that they needed to be called and needed to wait 25 minutes .. Also, be wary of some overnight parking rules where you need to call a number and inform them if you're going to park on the street overnight ..If you stay at a hotel, best to use the valet ..

Quite a bit to do ... and if you're out and about , drinks and food are a bit cheaper .. do a little research and you'll have a good time ..we ran into some North Suburban dwellers that regularly go up to MW on weekends .

Old 07-05-2012, 06:37 PM

43 posts, read 82,492 times
The Third Ward is a neat little area in which to walk around and shop...but if you're up for hitting the suburbs, I love Frame Park in Waukesha, which has a nice downtown area as well.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:05 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Chicago and Milwaukee are today basically two cities drawing together as one.

There is absolutely nothing "undiscovered" about Milwaukee for lots of folks in the Chicago area. It is familiar turf. I would say many people consider the southwest shore of Lake Michigan a great mix of "Huge city" and "large city". the two compliment each other.

You are going to see lots of Chicagoans at SummerFest, at Miller Park, gambling at Pottawatomi, going to the zoo, shopping the venders at the Public Market. People mentioned the Third Ward; lots of Chicagoans actually own condos in the area (Walkers Point) along the river, enjoying the ability to have their boats to go out on the lake.

Marquette is a huge draw for Chicago area kids.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:03 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
I heard someone on these forums say it's all farmland in between "Chiwaukee" then I have to ask have you ever taken Hwy 32 out of Milwaukee down to 137 in IL? there isn't an open spot it's all developed. Oak Creek blends into Racine and Racine blends right into Kenosha and from there you're in Metro Chicago. Even on the freeway there has been a ton of new development. WI DOT is in the process of widening the freeway from 6 lanes to 8 lanes all the way down to the IL line and the Hiawatha train line with 7 daily round trips between Milwaukee and Chicago is the heaviest amtrak line in the midwest.

Amtrak raises fares on Milwaukee-to-Chicago line - JSOnline

OnMilwaukee.com Milwaukee Buzz: Hey Chicago, there are unique places to visit in Milwaukee

Old 07-06-2012, 07:05 PM

Milwaukee Tourism Blows It Again in Chicago | CHICAGO CARLESS

Meet Me in St. Louis, Not Milwaukee: How Not to Oversell Your Urban Tourism Campaign | CHICAGO CARLESS

Yeah Milwaukee needs Chicago for obvious reason but Chicago obvious doesn't need Milwaukee. I just wonder how many people in Chicago actually come to Milwaukee at least once a year. I bet if you asked most city of Chicagoans where is Milwaukee they would tell you it's a street on the northwest side of the city.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
I can't think of anything to do in Milwaukee except get drunk and bomb some hills on a skateboard.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:57 PM

OnMilwaukee.com Milwaukee Buzz: 100 more things to do in Milwaukee

I'll admit some of these things are down right stupid!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I heard someone on these forums say it's all farmland in between "Chiwaukee"
try telling that to the lord of the castle of Mars Cheese Castle which, BTW, is now a real castle and may (just may, mind you) put Buckingham to shame! The realm is no longer farm country.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago