Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:36 PM

295 posts, read 546,662 times

Advertisements

So I love coming down to Chi a lot once a month, and I have plenty of friends in Chi and would move to Chi if I could. Apparently I get a lot of harassed a lot when I tell people I'm from the Mil-Town. I know a lot of people from WI hate Chicago but that's all jealousy, I'm a die hard Brewer, Bear, White Sox, Bucks, Blackhawks fan so I'm a little biased myself.

So do you hate Wisconsites or just Milwaukeeans believe me there is a difference so don't put us in the same bowl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 09:07 PM

409 posts, read 1,517,398 times
I find that Chicagoans don't really care about people from Wisconsin. We go up there and make your guys paychecks and boost your real estate markets by purchasing second and retirement homes. I don't think anyone cares.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
We don't notice Milwaukee enough to bother hating anyone who is from there.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:54 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,421 times
I don't have anything against people from Milwaukee. I know people from Wisconsin and do give them a hard time though (jokingly of course).

Old 07-12-2008, 11:52 PM

249 posts, read 685,123 times
Milwaukee? Is that named after the street we have here in Chicago?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:26 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
I'm originally from Wisconsin, but have lived in Chicago for many years. Other than gentle ribbing about the Packers or Brewers, no one in Chicago really cares if a person is from Wisconsin. There are so many people in Chicago from surrounding states that it's pretty commonplace.

In fact, the thing I hear about Milwaukee most often is that people are surprised by how nice it is. A surprising number of co-workers have recently made weekend trips to Milwaukee, and they always come back with nice things to say. The general attitude about Madison seems to be pretty positive as well.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:47 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,061 times
I would speculate that any hostilities a Milwaukean might encounter in Chicago would probably be related to one of the following sports rivalries, listed in order of most to least intense:

Bears / Packers - the grandaddy of them all, and one still one of the best in the NFL, although not particularly lively of late.

UIC / UWM - pretty intense during its heyday, largely due to the well-publicized Jimmy Collins / Bruce Pearle acrimony, but a shadow of its former self since BP left for Tennessee, Bennett for Marquette, and UWM's men's programs tanked. UIC continues to own UWM in soccer, basketball, and baseball. The question is: does anyone at UWM care?

Illinois / Wisconsin - the rivalry that could be, should be, would be, but never really was. Any genuine hatred ends the second the final whistle blows, largely because even the most die-hard Illini fans tend to admit that Madison is the superior college town.

Cubs / Brewers - tryng hard to rekindle the old Cubs/Braves rivalry, but the Brewer's years in the AL continue to make it a tough sell. The old-time Cubs diehards have NEVER forgiven the Braves for moving to Atlanta, and the Brewers continue to be viewed with a certain amount of sympathy.

De Paul / Marquette - The lamest "rivalry" of them all. These team's message boards practically send love letters to each other. DePaul/UIC games easily generate 10 times the acrimony, as do Marquette/UWM games. Hell, they might as well let Barney referee their games, and end them with a great-big-hug.

Since most of these rivalries are either dormant, non-existant, or in decline, I'd say its probably a good time for a person from Milwaukee to move to Chicago.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:19 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
I think the Cubs/Brewers rivalry is heating up a bit. But it's mostly in the heads of Milwaukee fans. The Cubs will always care more about beating the Cardinals and the Sox... From a rivalry perspective, anyway. If the penant were at stake, the rivalry could get much hotter.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:02 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times
Hating Milwaukeeans would be like hating polar bears. Sure sometimes we share a laugh at their misery. But deep down, we want to see them pull through.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:25 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Hating Milwaukeeans would be like hating polar bears. Sure sometimes we share a laugh at their misery. But deep down, we want to see them pull through.
That is one of the oddest comparisons that I have ever heard. Yet I get it and it makes complete sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago