Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times

Advertisements

Typical suburban pansy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Let's see, when I was younger, I lived in Buffalo Grove, then when I went back, I was in Lakeview.

Again, you can have a million dollar condo overlooking Lake Michigan, it's still not the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean.

I only miss two things, 100.3, and Portillos. The shopping is much better too, but Minneapolis is close enough and has almost everything Chicago does.
Well, I can't vouch for the suburbs here. I'd probably never live in them. I also don't live overlooking the lake, and HAVE lived a stones throw from the Atlantic. It's nice. I miss it. If someone had built a city in the Southeast that felt like Chicago, I'd live there instead of here. However, that place doesn't exist.

I just don't really understand your deal. If the coasts are so great, why don't you live there? I mean, to each his own, but to complain so much about Chicago and then lift up Des Moines? And I ask about the neighborhood because I seem to recall you making statements that are far more indicative of the burbs or a few neighborhoods in the city than of the Chicago that led me to pick up stakes and move here. (Just like hundreds of people I know who aren't from the Chicago area who live here now. Literally. Hundreds.)

I just don't get it.

Also, Portillo's makes good burgers, but I know half a dozen places in the city that make better dogs and polishes. I'd dropkick Portillo's into Lake Michigan for just one Chick-Fil-A, but that's a whole other conversation.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,487 times
I just saw people ripping on Milwaukee, and decided smaller cities in the midwest need to be defended. I'm not complaining about Chicago, I decided to return to Des Moines, because I didn't like Chicago enough to stay. The people were much friendlier in Chicago, that's one thing I don't like about the smaller midwestern cities, everyone seems too serious.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Tomorrow's high in Des Moines is 48, Chicago is 35. You can check the weather at random times during the week if you don't believe me. Not sure why that is such a big deal.
Guess what, that 48 degrees Des Moines is getting tomorrow, we're getting on Wednesday. That's kind of how weather patterns work. And no, I don't believe you, and that's why I posted the actual weather data. It's a big deal to me because I get tired of people making up their own facts especially when they're so easily refutable.
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't care if I had to live in Des Moines, KC, etc, and most of these people are not yearning to live in Chicago. They look up to LA and NY the same way you guys do. Just being in the midwest offsets its desirability. Everyone watches American Idol, if you get the point I'm making. If you're gonna pay that much money to live somewhere (although Chicago is nowhere nearly as expensive as LA or NY, even Boston, Seattle or SF for that matter), you might as well goto the coast. Chicago is known as a city for business, not dreamers, and that's why it will never be seen the same way LA and NY are.
Guess what, "most of the people" who live in Des Moines or KC don't yearn to live anywhere else or else they'd actually live there instead of KC or Des Moines. But there are enough people who have moved here from KC and especially Des Moines to suggest that those who do yearn to live in a bigger city have Chicago on their radar.

Everyone watches American Idol.... uhm, no, I don't get the point you're making.

Then you say "if youre gonna pay that much money to live somewhere you might as well goto [sic] the coast" and in the middle of your own sentence you acknowledge one of Chicago's attractions: the cost of living versus the alternatives. And frankly, Chicago has more to offer than some of those options making this the best bang-for-the-buck cosmopolitan city in the country.

And finally, not everyone is obsessed with living on a coast. Those who choose Chicago don't feel some compelling need to live on one of the coasts just because it's a coast.

Last edited by Drover; 02-23-2009 at 09:55 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 PM

Aldi's has good bang for its buck too. Yes, the warm weather comes to KC and Des Moines first, then gets to Chicago a day later. It's warmer, I've lived in both cities and can tell you, Des Moines just isn't as cold and the longer days make winter seem shorter. Never said it was Florida either.

You'll get 42 on Wednesday, and Des Moines will be 51. Will be 48 tomorrow, you guys probably won't see it break 45 till mid-April.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 PM

Chumbolone.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 PM

Yes, Des Moines is as cold. That is a verifiable fact that's not even subject to opinion or debate. As the old saying goes, you're entitled to your own opinions but you're not entitled to your own facts. I don't care where you've lived.

Get back to me when Aldi has Trader Joe's quality merchandise at Aldi prices. Then we'll talk analogies.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:01 PM

lol, then the earth doesn't revolve around then sun I guess too.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 PM

*Sigh*

I really should stop arguing with idiots.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 PM

Chummy where are you? Your brother needs you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago