Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
That happens on occasion, but I've lived in both metros and can tell you that winters in Des Moines are much less brutal, and on average, it is warmer. Maybe the lake has something to do with it. You should check the weather at random times for the next few weeks if you want to see for yourself.
The lake actually makes the air around it warmer in the winter, not colder. Temperatures in downtown Chicago and Milwaukee are routinely 7 to 10 degrees warmer in the winter than in their respective outlying areas.

In Des Moines, the average January high is 29, average low is 11, and average temp is 20. In Chicago it's 30, 16 and 23 respectively. In Milwaukee, it's 27, 13 and 20, respectively. On average, January is three degrees warmer in Chicago than Des Moines; the average January temperature for Des Moines and Milwaukee are exactly the same. So I have no idea where you get this "10 degrees warmer" nonsense from.

Quote:
I understand earlier sundowns do not mean "shorter days" in the technical sense, but you notice when it gets dark out about 30 minutes earlier.
And you also notice it gets light out 30 minutes earlier too. What's your point?

Quote:
And I don't think anyone literally puts Chicago in the same sentence as South Bend, but that entire region of the country isn't exactly seen as anywhere desirable, that's the point I was trying to illustrate.
That must explain why 10 million people live here, why it draws people from all over the country and the world, and why it's the only one of the nation's the top ten fastest growing metro areas that's not in the sun belt.

Thanks, and have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 07:12 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Ok, before I go any further with ripping your statements to shreds-Des Moines has a "Metro?"
LMAO. Oh surely you jest.

Des Moines is barely even considered a city. It is more like a large small town.

The Des Moines area is more desirable than Chicago? Are you on crack?

Crack is still quite popular in Milwaukee... You could be on to something there.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:43 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The lake actually makes the air around it warmer in the winter, not colder. Temperatures in downtown Chicago and Milwaukee are routinely 7 to 10 degrees warmer in the winter than in their respective outlying areas.

In Des Moines, the average January high is 29, average low is 11, and average temp is 20. In Chicago it's 30, 16 and 23 respectively. In Milwaukee, it's 27, 13 and 20, respectively. On average, January is three degrees warmer in Chicago than Des Moines; the average January temperature for Des Moines and Milwaukee are exactly the same. So I have no idea where you get this "10 degrees warmer" nonsense from.

And you also notice it gets light out 30 minutes earlier too. What's your point?

That must explain why 10 million people live here, why it draws people from all over the country and the world, and why it's the only one of the nation's the top ten fastest growing metro areas that's not in the sun belt.

Thanks, and have a nice day.
Well, like most people, a longer day equates more light...during the day, and not the morning, explaining the phrase, a "longer day". It just made winter seem too long in Chicago, for me anyways.

Tomorrow's high in Des Moines is 48, Chicago is 35. You can check the weather at random times during the week if you don't believe me. Not sure why that is such a big deal.

I'm not saying Des Moines is even close to being on the same playing field as Chicago at all, although there are some people in Des Moines who want to believe it's a major league big city, it's probably because they had a high school graduating class of 5 people and don't know any better. I've never said that once. 10 million vs 500,000, geez Chicago is only 20 times bigger.

Personally, I wouldn't care if I had to live in Des Moines, KC, etc, and most of these people are not yearning to live in Chicago. They look up to LA and NY the same way you guys do. Just being in the midwest offsets its desirability. Everyone watches American Idol, if you get the point I'm making. If you're gonna pay that much money to live somewhere (although Chicago is nowhere nearly as expensive as LA or NY, even Boston, Seattle or SF for that matter), you might as well goto the coast. Chicago is known as a city for business, not dreamers, and that's why it will never be seen the same way LA and NY are.

Des Moines is 6 hours closer to California. I personally like that.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Chumbolone.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Quote:

Tomorrow's high in Des Moines is 48, Chicago is 35. You can check the weather at random times during the week if you don't believe me. Not sure why that is such a big deal.
Okie dokie, shortstack. Let's take a gander at the climate.
Des Moines: Average High/Low Temperatures for KDSM : Weather Underground
Chicago: Average High/Low Temperatures for KORD : Weather Underground

Darned similar, with slightly cooler lows in the summers in Chicago and slightly cooler lows in the winter in Des Moines. That's thanks to continentalism. Large bodies of water have a moderating effect.

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't care if I had to live in Des Moines, KC, etc, and most of these people are not yearning to live in Chicago. They look up to LA and NY the same way you guys do. Just being in the midwest offsets its desirability. Everyone watches American Idol, if you get the point I'm making. If you're gonna pay that much money to live somewhere (although Chicago is nowhere nearly as expensive as LA or NY, even Boston, Seattle or SF for that matter), you might as well goto the coast. Chicago is known as a city for business, not dreamers, and that's why it will never be seen the same way LA and NY are.
What part of Chicago did you live in? Naperville? Barrington?
Dreamers... Come on...

I moved a heck of a long way to be in this city you have such disdain for. Could have moved anywhere. CHOSE Chicago for a long list of reasons that had to do with legitimate factors. If you want to prattle on about where the dreamers live and where artistic people live... well... All I can say is good luck with your garage band, and I hope you patch things up with your Dad. You've chased your dreams all the way to Iowa! So far so good! Best of luck with the next stage.

I've spent a lot of time in New York. Never lived there for more than a summer, but I did meet a lot of kids from the sticks who moved to NYC and all of a sudden looked down on the B&T crowd like they invented the place. That's how you come across... only your Manhattan is Des Moines.

It's pretty funny.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 PM

Even summers in Chicago were cold, I thought.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Okie dokie, shortstack. Let's take a gander at the climate.
Des Moines: Average High/Low Temperatures for KDSM : Weather Underground
Chicago: Average High/Low Temperatures for KORD : Weather Underground

Darned similar, with slightly cooler lows in the summers in Chicago and slightly cooler lows in the winter in Des Moines. That's thanks to continentalism. Large bodies of water have a moderating effect.

What part of Chicago did you live in? Naperville? Barrington?
Dreamers... Come on...

I moved a heck of a long way to be in this city you have such disdain for. Could have moved anywhere. CHOSE Chicago for a long list of reasons that had to do with legitimate factors. If you want to prattle on about where the dreamers live and where artistic people live... well... All I can say is good luck with your garage band, and I hope you patch things up with your Dad. You've chased your dreams all the way to Iowa! So far so good! Best of luck with the next stage.

I've spent a lot of time in New York. Never lived there for more than a summer, but I did meet a lot of kids from the sticks who moved to NYC and all of a sudden looked down on the B&T crowd like they invented the place. That's how you come across... only your Manhattan is Des Moines.

It's pretty funny.
Actually, that's not me at all, and you can read my posts in the Iowa forum if you don't believe me. There actually are some people in Des Moines who do think like that, but I am not one of them. Again, Chicago is a much bigger city, but also, it's in the midwest, which doesn't allow it to be as "cool" as you may think.

If you're gonna do it big, might as well goto the coast. For now, I'm not minding Iowa, it's not hard to get around the country. The only place I'd actually want to live is California. Stop drawing ridiculous extrapolations about me (without knowing me), as I would expect that from a small town person, but I guess when you're only 30 minutes from Wisconsin or Indiana, it's not that different, in a way.

What you don't like, is that people in smaller cities in the midwest don't look up to Chicago, the same way they look up to NY, or LA. That's just simple fact, obviously Chicago is still much bigger and more impressive than smaller midwest cities.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Quote:
Actually, that's not me at all, and you can read my posts in the Iowa forum if you don't believe me. There actually are some people in Des Moines who do think like that, but I am not one of them. Again, Chicago is a much bigger city, but also, it's in the midwest, which doesn't allow it to be as "cool" as you may think.

If you're gonna do it big, might as well goto the coast. For now, I'm not minding Iowa, it's not hard to get around the country. The only place I'd actually want to live is California.

What you don't like, is that people in smaller cities in the midwest don't look up to Chicago, the same way they look up to NY, or LA. That's just simple fact, obviously Chicago is still much bigger and more impressive than smaller midwest cities.
How is that what I don't like?

I'll ask again: What part of Chicago did you live in?

Old 02-23-2009, 09:11 PM

Let's see, when I was younger, I lived in Buffalo Grove, then when I went back, I was in Lakeview.

Again, you can have a million dollar condo overlooking Lake Michigan, it's still not the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean.

I only miss two things, 100.3, and Portillos. The shopping is much better too, but Minneapolis is close enough and has almost everything Chicago does.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Yeah 1977,1988,1999 etc. were really cold...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago