Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 01:13 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times

Advertisements

Beverly Hills, which has around 35,000 people and a median household income of $70,000. According to the 2012 ACS, the number of people speaking something other than English at home is around 50-53%

Something that is similar (though has a smaller population) would be Archer Heights, which has around the same median household income as Beverly Hills but almost 77% of non English speakers at home. Both Jefferson Park (43%) and Lincoln Square (38%) have a MHI of around $60,000. Norwood Park at around 33% is $65,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Beverly Hills, which has around 35,000 people and a median household income of $70,000. According to the 2012 ACS, the number of people speaking something other than English at home is around 50-53%

Something that is similar (though has a smaller population) would be Archer Heights, which has around the same median household income as Beverly Hills but almost 77% of non English speakers at home. Both Jefferson Park (43%) and Lincoln Square (38%) have a MHI of around $60,000. Norwood Park at around 33% is $65,000.
Where do you get data that Archer Heights has a median household income of $70,000??? I would NEVER have guessed that. Source, I would have to see this to believe it. Lincoln Square I could see, maybe.

Yes I would like to see that source.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Never mind:

https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...hicago-IL.html

Archer Heights median household income 2011: &43,814.

Actually Norwood Park looks about right, I didn't doubt that. Norwood Park is a very suburban neighborhood, virtually all single family homes and families, Jefferson Park is pretty similar. Beverly Hills, south of Santa Monica Blvd, is actually very structurally urban, mostly condo buildings and single households.

The others look right. Just not sure where you got the Archer Hts one. That jumped out at me.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I think this is true for some for sure, although there are many who skip the city all together and will go to the burbs. However, there is a newer generation which is the opposite of that. They are the more educated class coming to the city to work good jobs. I have made friends with a number of people like that - most are from Asia and Europe, though I have a few friends from Mexico and South America in the same boat. A few from the Middle East as well. They are choosing to reside in the more yuppified areas like Near North Side, Loop, West Loop, South Loop, some parts of Lakeview (mainly LVE), Wicker Park/UK Village, etc.
True, nationwide patterns too. The more educated class don't need the support group of their ethnic enclave to make it in the US.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:00 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
I read many many times I this forums and other magazines how Chicago is very segregated between whites and blacks. If I never went there I would think the two races don't even talk to each other.

However, 2 years ago my wife and I were the only white couple at M-Bar, in Printer'Row and not only we had no issue and a great time, but because we left late in the night and were walking, a big black guy we met there and his buddies offered us to walk with us to the Blackstone Hotel as there were a few group of kids fooling around in the street.

This time, at Blues on Halstead, we basically spent the entire time with 2 black couples and had a great time.

At Miller's Pub, I went to the restroom, and when I came back there were 3 black guys drinking and one was trying to get into conversation you know what I mean..) with my wife. When I got to my seat he apologized, I said no problem, as he really thought she was by herself and we ended up having drinks and talking about football.

So, I thought: is it that maybe I don't have a problem and black people don't have it with me because of my accent, or this segregation thing is exaggerated?
It is not exaggerated. This is a good example of why people shouldn't put so much weight on limited personal experiences:

Chicago Most Segregated City In America, Despite Significant Improvements In Last Decade

Old 12-05-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Wow, I got you guys going...lol
I guess my point wasn't to say that there are no segregated areas, those are everywhere in the USA. I meant to say that there seems to be more interaction between races and especially when it comes to blacks and whites than - for instance - in South Florida. Sure, there are areas mostly balck or msotly white (or hispanic etc..) but I saw more open mindness when the different races come in touch with each other.
Maybe it's just a big city thing, but down gere in So Fla it's rare to see groups of whites and black in the same bars watching football or sipping on wine and beers. Even if they keep to themselves you see them in the same places, at least much more than in South Florida.Which to me is a great thing, one of the many in Chicago.

Another factor could be that unlike Chicago where people are in a way forced to mix due to walking and public transportations, here you have to drive everywhere so everybody drives to his comfort zone, I guess.
But what about the hispanic population. I'm sure you know about major communities that have large numbers of wealthy Cubans and South Americans in South Florida.

I can completely understand all your positive points over South Florida, but an affluent hispanic population (which is therefore more likely to be integrated, because there aren't class differences) is one aspect that South Florida owns.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Never mind:

https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...hicago-IL.html

Archer Heights median household income 2011: &43,814.
Actually that's right. Huh. On most of the wikipedia pages for CA's, they got the source right, so I assumed for Archer Heights it was. There's a guy in Chicago who has kind of mapped all the hard 2010 census data. I should edit the page. Archer Heights is wrong - thanks for pointing that out.

Here are some of them that are higher with a decent percentage of non english at home speakers
* Dunning | 53% | $62K
* Jefferson Park | 44% | $60K
* Garfield Ridge | 40% | $61K
* Lincoln Square | 38% | $58K
* West Town | 35% | $61K
* Norwood Park | 34% | $64K
* Forest Glen | 32% | $87K
* Loop | 24% | $78K

Old 12-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Actually that's right. Huh. On most of the wikipedia pages for CA's, they got the source right, so I assumed for Archer Heights it was. There's a guy in Chicago who has kind of mapped all the hard 2010 census data. I should edit the page. Archer Heights is wrong - thanks for pointing that out.

Here are some of them that are higher with a decent percentage of non english at home speakers
* Dunning | 53% | $62K
* Jefferson Park | 44% | $60K
* Garfield Ridge | 40% | $61K
* Lincoln Square | 38% | $58K
* West Town | 35% | $61K
* Norwood Park | 34% | $64K
* Forest Glen | 32% | $87K
* Loop | 24% | $78K
I could see this list. A little surprised by Dunning, Jefferson Park, and Garfield Ridge. But then again, a lot of cops and firefighters live in those neighborhoods and they are paid VERY well.

West Town, I think is more "gentrified/port of entry" mix.

Loop makes sense. Educated foreigners coming to Chicago on their own from a transfer, etc. would want to live downtown. Forest Glen and Norwood Park are beautiful. No surprise there.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:01 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,902 times
Interesting thread...Isn't it obvious that segregation in Chicago typically means Black/White?

Generally speaking, Whites are not comfortable living in majority black neighborhoods. Many White neighborhoods with any sort of significant black population are typically living in Public Housing, SRO's, etc, and not really welcomed by the majority of the whites.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:09 AM

^ I'm not sure how many cops live in Dunning.. Jefferson Park? Yeah. It's hard to figure out which people are getting paid a lot and which aren't. Like in West Town as you mentioned. Near North Side is also at around 20%.

I'm not surprised by Dunning though. It's next to Portage Park and near Belmont Cragin. According to this data, there's 10,015 Polish speakers there. There's also almost 7000 Spanish speakers, over 1000 Italian speakers, 900 Tagalog (Filipino) speakers, and maybe around 500 people speaking Asiatic languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago