Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 09:38 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Yes in size of land, not population.
Reminds of all the Republicans who always show the red/blue map after an election.

But look at all the red?!?!?!

Hey dumb ****s, no one lives in all that red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Is the South Side that depopulated? It's like half the land area of Chicago.

The South Side is definitely much bigger than the North Side.
Much of the south side is non-residential (ie industrial or more accurately former industrial). Some parts that are residential are massively depopulated with numerous empty lots (ie Englewood and Washington Park). Even the intact neighborhoods (ie Chatham) have lower population densities than the average for the north side since so much more of the South Side is comprised of SFH unlike the North Side where multi-units predominate.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:50 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Reminds of all the Republicans who always show the red/blue map after an election.

But look at all the red?!?!?!

Hey dumb ****s, no one lives in all that red.
Yes, I feel the same way.

We are a gov't of the people, not gov't of the land mass.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

It's hard for people to understand unfortunately.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:54 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

Tell that to Senators Barasso and Enzi.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Tell that to Senators Barasso and Enzi.
Don't get me started as to how these pidddly **** states get two votes in the Senate making them highly OVER REPRESENTED in Congress. I say abolish the Senate and expand the House.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:12 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
That's the winner here. Yes, plenty of hyper-segregation, but this is a free country - what are we going to do, mandate that every block be a perfect mix of diversity?

Can you imagine when it's time to sell your house and the government tells you that the buyer must be of a certain race? Same thing, but with renters?

You can't force some people to live near others on a scale like Chicago IMO. The good news is the bigots are losing, it's just taking a lot longer for them all to head to the hills than anyone ever expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Very foolish of you. Put that tail between your legs now.

I did some quick stats. Out of the 2.7 million people in Chicago 800k live in an integrated or balanced neighborhood demographically. That's 800k! That bigger than city proper's of Boston, Seattle, Denver, DC, Atlanta, Miami, Detroit and about the same size of San Francisco and Austin. If you can't find an integrated or diverse neighborhood to live in Chicago that's because you don't want to, not because you can't find it. 800k in population already do. Check out below.

Rogers Park:
39% White
26% Black
24% Hispanic
54K in population

West Ridge:
42% White
11% Black
20% Hispanic
71k population

Edgewater:
54% White
14% Black
16% Hispanic
11% Asian
56k population

Albany Park:
29% White
49% Hispanic
14% Asian
51k population

North Park:
49% White
17% Hispanic
25% Asian
17k in population

Irving Park:
41% White
45% Hispanic
53k population

Portage Park:
53% White
38% Hispanic
64k in population

Avondale:
28% White
64% Hispanic
39k in population

Logan Square:
39% White
50% Hispanic
73k in population

West Town:
56% White
29% Hispanic
81k in population

Near West Side:
41% White
31% Black
9% Hispanic
54k in population

Near South Side:
48% White
28% Black
15% Asian
21k in population

Jefferson Park:
68% White
19% Hispanic
8% Asian
25k in population

Dunning:
70% White
23% Hispanic
41k in population

Montclare:
37% White
53% Hispanic
13k in population

Armour Square:
12% White
10% Black
72% Asian
13k in population

Bridgeport:
35% White
27% Hispanic
34% Asian
31k i population

Loop:
62% White
11% Black
15% Asian
29k in population

Near North Side:
72% White
10% Black
10% Asian
80k in population

Old 12-09-2013, 03:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
^ I made a map for this but by census tract. Check it out: https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...sus-tract.html

Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,838,725 times
Chicago's reputation as arguably the most segregated of US cities throughout the 20th century was built on a pole. It was a story told in white and black, of the Great Migration, a story of redlining and a run to suburbia, of crowded black neighborhoods that burst their black belt boundaries and went head up against European ethnics in a turf battle.

Chicago and America are vastly different places today. And while segregation and prejudice and discrimination are very much with us, much of the problem has turned to class and economic condition. Black Americans can go where they want in Chicago, a large percentage of them are thoroughly middle class, but a large segment still resides in deep poverty with conditions in the neighborhoods (including abysmal schools) likely to lock them in with no chance of social mobility. American is a stratified society today, frighteningly similar to India's caste system, at least on the way it works.

But I think the ultimate difference in race today in Chicago (and America) is the elimination of that polar extreme I mentioned earlier. the 20's through the 70's were very much that white vs. black battle. since that time, with immigration patterns changing in the US (let's not forget that for the vast majority of the mid-20th century immigration virtually shut down in the US and the story was about native born whites and native born blacks).

Today, the pole is shattered and the dynamics that go with it. Chicago's hispanic and Asian population have grown large and with that growth, the very nature of the black/white divide has diminished. Indeed, the very thinking that went into the old equation (white = majority, black = minority) has been realtered. Despite the whites (mostly older) that insanely cling to their whiteness as an institution (happily most whites, and surely younger ones, have given up that crazy ghost years ago and whiteness means nothing to them), crazily still fight for "I want my country back", deep down even they know it's a losing game (and that's why they playing it so hard): whites become minority status in the US around 2040 (2020 in our public schools); yes, they will be a plurality, but a plurality is no majority.

there are just too many people of different backgrounds today for the old white/black divide to have its meaning (thank goodness!). And historically we need to lump that whole Jim Crow era of the post-Civil War, from the war's end well through the 1960's as something of our past, something that doesn't explain the story today.

Does that mean we're better off today, that we've grown? I have my doubts. As I said, today's America does not divide on ethnic background, race, and religion as it once did, but what was once the poster child for income equality has become the most unequal of all advanced nations of the world (save perhaps for Great Britain). We may not marginalize our black or even hispanic population in the US in the way we once did, but the poor have (arguably) never had it worse.

Class is the division point in today's America and it is as ugly as any divide that came before it.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Chicago's reputation as arguably the most segregated of US cities throughout the 20th century was built on a pole. It was a story told in white and black, of the Great Migration, a story of redlining and a run to suburbia, of crowded black neighborhoods that burst their black belt boundaries and went head up against European ethnics in a turf battle.

Chicago and America are vastly different places today. And while segregation and prejudice and discrimination are very much with us, much of the problem has turned to class and economic condition. Black Americans can go where they want in Chicago, a large percentage of them are thoroughly middle class, but a large segment still resides in deep poverty with conditions in the neighborhoods (including abysmal schools) likely to lock them in with no chance of social mobility. American is a stratified society today, frighteningly similar to India's caste system, at least on the way it works.

But I think the ultimate difference in race today in Chicago (and America) is the elimination of that polar extreme I mentioned earlier. the 20's through the 70's were very much that white vs. black battle. since that time, with immigration patterns changing in the US (let's not forget that for the vast majority of the mid-20th century immigration virtually shut down in the US and the story was about native born whites and native born blacks).

Today, the pole is shattered and the dynamics that go with it. Chicago's hispanic and Asian population have grown large and with that growth, the very nature of the black/white divide has diminished. Indeed, the very thinking that went into the old equation (white = majority, black = minority) has been realtered. Despite the whites (mostly older) that insanely cling to their whiteness as an institution (happily most whites, and surely younger ones, have given up that crazy ghost years ago and whiteness means nothing to them), crazily still fight for "I want my country back", deep down even they know it's a losing game (and that's why they playing it so hard): whites become minority status in the US around 2040 (2020 in our public schools); yes, they will be a plurality, but a plurality is no majority.

there are just too many people of different backgrounds today for the old white/black divide to have its meaning (thank goodness!). And historically we need to lump that whole Jim Crow era of the post-Civil War, from the war's end well through the 1960's as something of our past, something that doesn't explain the story today.

Does that mean we're better off today, that we've grown? I have my doubts. As I said, today's America does not divide on ethnic background, race, and religion as it once did, but what was once the poster child for income equality has become the most unequal of all advanced nations of the world (save perhaps for Great Britain). We may not marginalize our black or even hispanic population in the US in the way we once did, but the poor have (arguably) never had it worse.

Class is the division point in today's America and it is as ugly as any divide that came before it.
Nail on the head. Take for example one of the most homogenous neighborhoods, Lincoln Park. A rich white family, or even just upper middle class family in Lincoln Park would have no problem having black neighbors, as long as they are more or less in the same economic status. I am positive that they would much rather live next to a professional black family that is upper middle class to wealthy class than a poor white lower class family.

Chicago really isn't so much about skin color anymore. It's more about the economic class your are in, and also the way your represent yourself (ie. yuppie, professional, blue collar, ghetto, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago