Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ I'm not sure how many cops live in Dunning.. Jefferson Park? Yeah. It's hard to figure out which people are getting paid a lot and which aren't. Like in West Town as you mentioned. Near North Side is also at around 20%.

I'm not surprised by Dunning though. It's next to Portage Park and near Belmont Cragin. According to this data, there's 10,015 Polish speakers there. There's also almost 7000 Spanish speakers, over 1000 Italian speakers, 900 Tagalog (Filipino) speakers, and maybe around 500 people speaking Asiatic languages.
There are definitely a lot of Polish and eastern europeans in Dunning. My cousin lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 11:20 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
There are definitely a lot of Polish and eastern europeans in Dunning. My cousin lives there.
Yep, and Belmont Cragin even on the border of that and Portage Park (Belmont Central). People should check out Stereo Nightclub over there... LOL

Old 12-05-2013, 12:08 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
It would be, in a hypothetical world where the Black % wasn't in single digits in nearly all of those tracts.

It's well known and understood that segregation in the U.S. means Black/White segregation. There isn't a great deal of segregation between White, Asian, and Hispanic people.
That's what it meant in the Jim Crow South.

In Chicago? Not the whole story by a long shot.

When it's brought up in Chicago it refers to white people refusing to live with minorities. Increasingly, it seems clear that the reality is that no ethnic groups are integrating in the black neighborhoods.

That tells me this isn't a white-black thing, it's an income/class thing. Otherwise, why wouldn't we see more black-hispanic and black-asian integration?

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the burden at this point is on the black community to figure out how to get some new blood and life breathed into their neighborhoods. Otherwise, they're done. In the end, it will be no different than other now-extinct ethnic neighborhoods, whether they be Norwegian, Swedish, Jewish, Italian, Irish, whatever.

Chicago is a melting pot. If you aren't gonna melt, you're not long for the stew.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:20 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
It is not exaggerated. This is a good example of why people shouldn't put so much weight on limited personal experiences:

Chicago Most Segregated City In America, Despite Significant Improvements In Last Decade
Are greater metro area white-bread suburbs like Barrington and Lake Bluff not cities?

Chicago sticks out because it's huge and because we got ~ 600,000 black migrants from the South over 20 years. There was never any chance these folks were going to simply blend in.

They came late to the party, being encouraged by captains of industry to relocate to an area "abundant with jobs," but which in fact was the city hosting the global battle between Capitalism and Labor.

Always missing in these conversations is the fact that while certainly being black wasn't winning them instant acceptance, the fact they were, rightly or wrongly, widely viewed as scab labor/strikebreakers was the nail in the coffin.

Also missing is that the first wave of black folks in Chicago didn't want tens of thousands of poor and uneducated new arrivals in their neighborhoods any more than anyone else did.

But while Chicago at least has experimented with public and affordable housing, the suburbs have categorically rejected it.

You want to talk about integration, great. But don't even think about stopping at the City limits AFAIC.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:03 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
...Other than that, also, you might want to be aware of Lincoln Park and Lakeview. While these are mostly young professionals who value progressive ideas, many young people are straight from whitebread suburbs and small towns, and may have had little interaction with Blacks, and may, just may have a bit of a "ghetto until proven otherwise" sizing up…
And by reading posts on this forum people could also get the idea that white people in Chicago are "racist until proven otherwise" as well. But that's just my opinion from the reading I've done.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Wow, I got you guys going...lol
I guess my point wasn't to say that there are no segregated areas, those are everywhere in the USA. I meant to say that there seems to be more interaction between races and especially when it comes to blacks and whites than - for instance - in South Florida. Sure, there are areas mostly balck or msotly white (or hispanic etc..) but I saw more open mindness when the different races come in touch with each other.
Maybe it's just a big city thing, but down gere in So Fla it's rare to see groups of whites and black in the same bars watching football or sipping on wine and beers. Even if they keep to themselves you see them in the same places, at least much more than in South Florida.Which to me is a great thing, one of the many in Chicago.
I'm glad you enjoy Chicago and choose to keep coming back for vacations (even at the start of winter!), and I always read any threads you start on this forum.

When I read how segregated and racist Chicago is on this forum, it just blows my mind. I KNOW I've seen and heard racism before, and it hasn't been in Chicago (yet) in my 2+ years of living here.

The way people describe segregation and racism in Chicago leaves the imagination to run rampant with images of burning crosses in front yards, Friday night lynchings, klan meetings, etc.

Mo, if you want a good read that lays down the foundation for what modern day Chicago is then read Boss: Richard J. Daley of Chicago: Mike Royko: 9780452261679: Amazon.com: Books

If you want to know the Chicago of the past, I would suggest reading any article or collection of articles from Mike Royko. I love his work.

Read "Boss" and read about the housing situation for black people. Read about the integration of black people into one house in one neighborhood (in which 'Da Mare' lived) and how that house was broken into by a mob of people and smeared with feces as a "welcome to the neighborhood gift", and come back to this forum, and read about the segregation and racism in Chicago, and you would think the same exact thing was happening now in 2013.

If it wasn't for datelines on news stories, I'm pretty sure some people on this board would claim this: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/27/us...prom.html?_r=0

was an everyday thing in Chicago that "white people" accepted as being "the way it should be".

Old 12-05-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
...You want to talk about integration, great. But don't even think about stopping at the City limits AFAIC.
You know, I started a thread about this: https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...icago-end.html

Apparently only Chicago has "diversity" and "segregation" problems.

But "Chicago: The Land (or metro area)" are where those "diversity" and "segregation" problems are nonexistent, or at least not discussed because, you know, people flee the city because of it's problems, not to be confronted with new ones (that were actually old ones)… ya'know?

Shame the city for it's troubles, but reap the benefits from being near the city.

(I can't rep you at this time)

Old 12-05-2013, 02:58 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
And honestly the entire south side is 60% of the city proper, and that clearly is more segregated. So I think it still stands to reason.
By land mass only. Most of the city's population lives on the North Side. Or at least north of Madison Street. Vast areas of the South Side have very little population, including a huge area around Lake Calumet.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 12-05-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 10:31 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
By land mass only. Most of the city's population lives on the North Side. Or at least north of Madison Street. Vast areas of the South Side have very little population, including a huge area around Lake Calumet.
Yes, landmass is what I meant.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:26 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times
Quote:
Yes, landmass is what I meant.
So I don't find it to be too relevant because both the northside and southside have about the same population. If anything the southside is the side that is emptying out so wouldn't surprise me if in the next census the northside is larger in population than the southside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago