Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM

128 posts, read 233,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Oh boy. Again, really didn't want a pro-gun, anti-gun argument out of this. So from what I'm reading, because the changes were overrided, there are basically no restrictions as far as cities, districts, the CTA, etc., for concealed carry?
There are plenty of restrictions, none of them happen to be places I go on a regular basis. No CTA or public transit carry at all.

Complete text of the new law here:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...?Name=098-0063

This is the list of prohibited places (beginning on page 20, section 65):

1. Property “under the control” of public or private elementary or secondary schools.
  2. Property “under the control” of pre-school or child care facilities.
  3. Buildings “under the control of an officer of the executive or legislative branch of government.” Exceptions exist for certain property “regulated by the Department of Natural Resources or any other designated public hunting area or building where firearm possession is permitted…”
  4. Property designated for courts.
  5. Property “under the control” of local government.
  6. Detention or correction facilities.
  7. Property “under the control” of hospitals, mental health facilities, and nursing homes.
  8. Buses, trains and other public transports “paid for in whole or in part with public funds.”
  9. Any establishment that derives more than 50% of their gross income from liquor sales.
  10. Public gatherings requiring a permit from local government.
  11. Liquor stores.
  12. Public playgrounds.
  13. Public parks or athletic facilities and grounds “under the control of a municipality or park district.”
  14. Property “under the control of the Cook County Forest Preserve District.” (Special dispensation to Chicago area to get this bill passed.)
  15. Property “under the control” of colleges and universities.
  16. Licensed gaming facilities.
  17. Property “under the control” of airports, public libraries, amusement parks, zoos, or museums.
  18. Any property having anything to do with nuclear energy.
  19. Wherever firearms are prohibited by federal law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM

71 posts, read 105,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie24 View Post
There are plenty of restrictions, none of them happen to be places I go on a regular basis. No CTA or public transit carry at all.

Complete text of the new law here:
Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of Public Act 098-0063

This is the list of prohibited places (beginning on page 20, section 65):
That list is most likely correct, but did I also see that the penality for a licensed carrier carrying into one of these restricted places is a misdemeanor, similar to trespassing? If so, I suspect many CC license holders will still carry on the CTA.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:07 PM

241 posts, read 465,605 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleMakers View Post
That list is most likely correct, but did I also see that the penality for a licensed carrier carrying into one of these restricted places is a misdemeanor, similar to trespassing? If so, I suspect many CC license holders will still carry on the CTA.
Would kinda defeat my purposes for wanting it if I cant carry on the CTA. Really its just for late night rides/walks back home from wherever my client site may be, which will almost certainly require a CTA ride of some sort. Oh well.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Would kinda defeat my purposes for wanting it if I cant carry on the CTA. Really its just for late night rides/walks back home from wherever my client site may be, which will almost certainly require a CTA ride of some sort. Oh well.
Conversation on the gun forums I belong to indicates there is thinking that while carrying a concealed LOADED gun on the CTA is not kosher, carrying an UNLOADED gun in your bag is OK.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM

71 posts, read 105,585 times
Quote:
Honestly, if the penalty is just a misdemeanor, I'm still carrying late at night on the CTA.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 PM

211 posts, read 394,813 times
Additionally the cost is $150.00 per application, WHICH I GUARANTEE WILL BE $500.00 within four years. No doubt on that price increase.

Quote:
That is incorrect. You won't even be able to apply for the CCW permit unless you already have a valid FOID card.

You think the gang bangers have FOID cards?

Illinois State Police | Concealed Carry FAQ

he applicant must:
  • Be at least 21 years of age
  • Have a valid FOID card
  • Have not been convicted or found guilty in this State or any other state of:
    • A misdemeanor involving the use or threat of physical force or violence to any person within the last 5 years.
    • 2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, intoxicating compound or compounds, or any combination thereof, within the last 5 years.
  • Not be the subject of a pending arrest warrant, prosecution, or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification.
  • Not have been in a residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the last 5 years.
  • Submit a completed Concealed Carry License Application.
  • Successfully complete 16 hours of firearms training, including classroom and range instruction.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleMakers View Post
Honestly, if the penalty is just a misdemeanor, I'm still carrying late at night on the CTA.
I guess I would just need confirmation of that. However, if individual business, such as wherever my client sites may be, also are allowed to place restrictions, then again my purposes would be defeated.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I guess I would just need confirmation of that. However, if individual business, such as wherever my client sites may be, also are allowed to place restrictions, then again my purposes would be defeated.
As the saying goes, "concealed is concealed."

Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
As the saying goes, "concealed is concealed."
I don't follow, lol

Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
... lots of people shoot for sport etc.
I agree. And, it's sad that a few bad apples are ruining this for everyone. But, fact of the matter is, our government is either going to allow the general public access to hand guns, or they're not. There's no grey area with this. Just remember, if they continue to allow it, there is nothing (I repeat NOTHING) stopping the bad guys from having them, too. It's just that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago