Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM

241 posts, read 466,653 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Will (almost definitely) be moving to Chicago in about 2 years, after college. Currently have a job lined up there for post-graduation, so the only thing that would change things would be either a better offer elsewhere (would have to be significantly better) or some sort of family emergency.

I know Illinois as of recent allows concealed carry, but I was also reading an article saying some amendments may be coming to the law, and I was getting a little confused on it. I was wondering if some locals who may carry a concealed weapon could clear this up. I know sometimes some "communities" are allowed to put their own restrictions. Is this common in the popular Northside neighborhoods? How are most apartment buildings with this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 09:24 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,868,196 times
At the moment there is no concealed carry in Illinois. The legislature passed a bill and the governor rewrote some of the terms in his veto. The legislature hasn't responded yet.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:09 AM

968 posts, read 2,671,780 times
yes, the only locals that are legally carrying concealed weapons would be law enforcement officers . Or maybe your alderman ( I don't know if this was changed) . or someone politically connected or well-known who was made an unpaid Cook County Deputy ( they cracked down on this as well, but not sure how deeply the clean-up went ) .
We don't know what the final law in Illinois will look like until the marked-up version gets a re-vote. Whatever comes out of it , realistically it will be far more difficult to get a permit within the city versus other parts of the state, regardless of what the law states . This will drag on .

Old 07-08-2013, 12:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,350,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
We don't know what the final law in Illinois will look like until the marked-up version gets a re-vote. Whatever comes out of it , realistically it will be far more difficult to get a permit within the city versus other parts of the state, regardless of what the law states . This will drag on .
The bill that came out of the legislature (with a veto-proof majority in both chambers) had a shall-issue provision. If the legislature overrides Quinn's changes, it will be no more difficult to get a CCW permit in Chicago than anywhere else. Even if the "may-issue" change remains intact, it may be possible to simply get your permit issued in a county that is less restrictive about issuing them. Not sure if county sheriffs can issue permits to people who live outside the county though; haven't studied the law in any kind of detail.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:45 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,074,191 times
The legislature will be voting on this tomorrow . All indications are that they will override governor jello's silly rules.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,850,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Is this common in the popular Northside neighborhoods?
I have to think it will remain quite rare in the nicer areas of the North Side, even after a bill is enacted. Most people won't see a need for it where crime is low in the first place.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:02 PM

968 posts, read 2,671,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The bill that came out of the legislature (with a veto-proof majority in both chambers) had a shall-issue provision. If the legislature overrides Quinn's changes, it will be no more difficult to get a CCW permit in Chicago than anywhere else. Even if the "may-issue" change remains intact, it may be possible to simply get your permit issued in a county that is less restrictive about issuing them. Not sure if county sheriffs can issue permits to people who live outside the county though; haven't studied the law in any kind of detail.
Understand the letter of the law will probably end up as a 'Thou Shalt' , but, experience suggests that less-than-enthusiastic enforcement and implementation by the goliaths that are opposed to the legislation will probably happen. 'They' can put the 'Northern Charm, Southern Efficiency' mode into play , and have the resources to handle challenges to such behavior for a long time . Just being realistic .

This will be interesting to watch . I don't have a dog in the fight either way .

Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 AM

125 posts, read 173,091 times
They need to get this thing done and done right. The governor's changes are a joke, anything to chip away and discourage ownership and carry, nothing more. Concealed carry holders are non-criminal, law abiding and responsible citizens. If they make it difficult enough to obtain, make enough places in your daily routine off-limits, people will give up. Has nothing to do with public safety.

Carrying while intoxicated is clearly illegal- so what does it matter if you can or can't carry in a business that serves alcohol? I can get hammered at home for 20% the cost of going to a bar, strap up and go out. Just creating more victimless crimes and discouragement. Banning from the CTA is a good way to effectively remove 2nd amendment rights from a couple million people on a system with plenty of drunks, drug dealers, and the usual undesirables- believe me I know I live near Clark & Division.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,193,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvernsey View Post
They need to get this thing done and done right. The governor's changes are a joke, anything to chip away and discourage ownership and carry, nothing more. Concealed carry holders are non-criminal, law abiding and responsible citizens. If they make it difficult enough to obtain, make enough places in your daily routine off-limits, people will give up. Has nothing to do with public safety.

Carrying while intoxicated is clearly illegal- so what does it matter if you can or can't carry in a business that serves alcohol? I can get hammered at home for 20% the cost of going to a bar, strap up and go out. Just creating more victimless crimes and discouragement. Banning from the CTA is a good way to effectively remove 2nd amendment rights from a couple million people on a system with plenty of drunks, drug dealers, and the usual undesirables- believe me I know I live near Clark & Division.
Yes, because the perfect place for weapons is in a densely-crowded moving vehicle with no immediate means of escape.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:27 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,294,627 times
I'm no fan of guns but Quinn's babbling made me laugh out loud.

"It's time for the violence to end!"

Yes, and some toothless BS law aimed at the people responsible enough to care about permits and such is going to do just that.

In fact I would say that with that one statement I lost complete respect for him, as it is hard to characterize him now as anything except either someone who is impossibly stupid or an inveterate liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago