Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:41 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times

Advertisements

In addition to concealed carry, my understanding is that it will now be legal to own guns in Chicago in your home without the need to go through the burdensome city registration process that had previously been put into place. You will still need to have a Firearms Owners ID card as is the case in all of Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 07:05 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvernsey View Post
So you are more afraid of a never-felon, trained, CCW holder that might save your life, than some of the whackos on the Red line?
Since we're talking hypothetical situations, couldn't you accidentally shoot the person you meant to protect? It goes both ways.

I sometimes wonder if people who [wish to] utilize CCW realize the enormous amount of trust they ask of their fellow law-abiding citizens - strangers at that. While a background check, license and training alleviate it some, it's still a lot to ask. People shouldn't be offended or shocked if others aren't comfortable with them having weapons on them - which is a perfectly reasonable and acceptable attitude in my book. A lot of good, honest Americans feel this way.

Your statement about saving someone's life on the red-line, taken in combination with your invoking of George Zimmerman makes me think you're a person I DEFINITELY wouldn't want to share public space with if you were carrying. This isn't Death Wish, and you and ol' George Z aren't Charlie Bronson.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 PM

95 posts, read 219,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
I see what you're saying. But, no one, and no system, can stop all crime. With that said, I believe society [as a whole] would be much safer if I get hit on the head and robbed for a hundred dollars, than it would be if I was hit on the head and robbed for a 9mm. That's all I'm saying.
Agree 100% (not that I want you to get hit in the head). For the people who say crime is less likely to happen if criminals think that it's possible that everyone has a gun- gangbangers' current targets are other gangbangers who they know have guns. It doesn't stop them from going after them.

And for non gang related crime- say you do have a gun in your pocket and someone walks up behind you and sticks a gun in your back and demands your money- what do you think is going to happen if you go for your gun? They're going to shoot you because you're not going to have enough time to get it out. Not only are they going to shoot you, they're going to take your gun, which most likely will be used in another crime.

What we need is more police, more enforcement, better prosecution, and better cooperation from the communities, not more guns. But that's a topic for another conversation.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 PM

276 posts, read 448,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
I see what you're saying. But, no one, and no system, can stop all crime. With that said, I believe society [as a whole] would be much safer if I get hit on the head and robbed for a hundred dollars, than it would be if I was hit on the head and robbed for a 9mm. That's all I'm saying.
Do you really want a government that omnipotent that they actually have the power to take guns out of the hands of everybody? That's what would have to happen for you to be guaranteed that you'd be hit with a 2x4 and not by a 124 grain bullet.

I understand your reasoning, but it would just be completely impossible to do this. The amount of resources it would take to round up every gun would be absolutely staggering, not to mention that there's the pesky 2nd Amendment, lots of people shoot for sport etc.

The problem with the thinking "if it isn't allowed, people won't do it" is that the good people -- those who don't commit crimes -- will follow the law. Those who commit crimes don't care about the law, and making it illegal for them to own guns has only served to guarantee that those to whom they seek to do harm are defenseless.

I propose, since this is the world we live in, that it is better for a criminal to have to think twice that maybe his victim might be armed than for him to know with almost 100% certainty that this citizen has no weapon with which to protect themselves.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:23 PM

276 posts, read 448,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
And for non gang related crime- say you do have a gun in your pocket and someone walks up behind you and sticks a gun in your back and demands your money- what do you think is going to happen if you go for your gun? They're going to shoot you because you're not going to have enough time to get it out. Not only are they going to shoot you, they're going to take your gun, which most likely will be used in another crime.
Guns aren't a magic wand and they don't solve every problem. I think almost every CCW holder would agree with you (see Tuscon shooting, Clackamas mall shooting, where CCW decided not to fire out of concern for bystanders). But just because they aren't useful in every situation doesn't mean they aren't useful in any situation.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 PM

128 posts, read 233,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
No, maybe i worded that wrong.

I mean to say that gang bangers are already concealing weapons, so with the new law, if we are allowed to conceal and carry weapons, the gang bangers are going to be protected.
That is incorrect. You won't even be able to apply for the CCW permit unless you already have a valid FOID card.

You think the gang bangers have FOID cards?

Illinois State Police | Concealed Carry FAQ

he applicant must:
  • Be at least 21 years of age
  • Have a valid FOID card
  • Have not been convicted or found guilty in this State or any other state of:
    • A misdemeanor involving the use or threat of physical force or violence to any person within the last 5 years.
    • 2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, intoxicating compound or compounds, or any combination thereof, within the last 5 years.
  • Not be the subject of a pending arrest warrant, prosecution, or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification.
  • Not have been in a residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the last 5 years.
  • Submit a completed Concealed Carry License Application.
  • Successfully complete 16 hours of firearms training, including classroom and range instruction.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:27 PM

128 posts, read 233,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I was waiting for someone to mention that just passing CC does not mean that everyone can carry. Besides the $150 for the permit, it will cost somewhere around $200-300 for the 16 hr. course before you can even apply for the permit. Not everybody will be willing to put out that kind of coin.
And you need to already have your FOID card.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:31 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvernsey View Post
So you are more afraid of a never-felon, trained, CCW holder that might save your life, than some of the whackos on the Red line?
No, i'm not afraid of the red line.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:37 PM

71 posts, read 105,585 times
As someone who used to have a concealed carry license in Texas prior tomoving to Chicago, I should educate some of you anti-CC people on a couple things. First, very few people will get it in Illinois because it is cost/time prohibitive. Second, and more importantly, even for those that do get the license, the CC instructors do a good job in educating you on exactly what it means to pull a weapon and kill/injure someone. You will get sued (most likely by the "victims" family), you will spend thousands upon thousands of dollars in legal fees, you will get your name slandered in the press, your family life will suffer, you may lose your job and any dirty little secret you have kept for years may get exposed. The instructors will ask you, is it worth a $300 iPhone or a $500 bike to go through all of that. Of course the answer is no, it's better to keep your weapon holstered and give up the small stuff. Andthe people who go through the training will see that’s the case. Many of those who take a CC course probably already feel that way because they were brought up by responsible gun owning parents who taught them how to respect weapons. 49 other states have already passed this law people, and none of them have turned into the wild wild west, none of them have seen mass vigilante acts of violence,and none of them have seen shootouts in public venues or on public transport. Rant over.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:39 PM

241 posts, read 465,652 times
Oh boy. Again, really didn't want a pro-gun, anti-gun argument out of this. So from what I'm reading, because the changes were overrided, there are basically no restrictions as far as cities, districts, the CTA, etc., for concealed carry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago