Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:42 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times

Advertisements

Read in the Trib yesterday that Aldermen and other government officials (whom have nothing to do with police work or crime fighting) can legally own and carry guns in Chicago but it's 'illegal' for John Q Public to do so.

Is this true? What a joke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 06:43 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,158 times
So not fair.

Does this mean that Jane Doe who lives in Bridgeport cannot protect herself as an ordinary citizen? Wtf...

Old 11-23-2009, 07:43 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
I am a anti-gun person and I have no problem with it. Our alderman once got death threats(I know because he was a friend of the family).

I have a lot more trouble with John Q public carring guns for no good reason. Self defense?(ha ha ha live on the west side and hear as many gun shots as I have and you will fear getting caught in gang crossfire more than getting robbed). There are very limited situations where a gun can be handy.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 PM

367 posts, read 918,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I am a anti-gun person and I have no problem with it. Our alderman once got death threats(I know because he was a friend of the family).
So only if your friends get death threats they are allowed to carry?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
No I think that people need to have a good reason and fear of crime in general is not a good reason. I would carry one if:

a. There were a specific threat to my life(in the army, death threat, crazy ex)
b. I liked hunting
c. I lived in a rural area where both crime and wild animal are a threat.
d. I owned a store (they get robbed often and can be the target of a riot...although again the one time my family did get robed it would have been useless)
e. My job exposed me to unusual threat from a ticked off person(famous person, politician, police officer, judge)

What worries me most are gun nuts who go out buying a gun thinking that they are going to defend their homes. The truth is a burglar is most likely to strike when you are not at home and they can be armed too. The other one is if the could carry a gun they could defend themselves from being robbed(sure if the robber is stupid enough not to carry a gun or you can get to the gun before they hit or stab you).

I think for every one case where a citizen pulled out a gun in self defense, five guns were stolen and wound up on the black market.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:12 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
If you want a handgun you do need to be a cop or have lived in the city since the 80's. From what I've read he had owned his gun since the 80's and was grandfathered in.

If you want a gun you need to jump through some minor hoops, but it is not a big hassle. I own a number of shotguns and rifles (all of which are registered to my house in the city) but I keep them at a friend's farm where I actually shoot them. If you want something for home protection a .410 will do you just fine (and it is legal in the city), if you want to walk around with a hand gun then become a cop or get yourself elected.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:17 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
If you want a handgun you do need to be a cop or have lived in the city since the 80's. From what I've read he had owned his gun since the 80's and was grandfathered in.

If you want a gun you need to jump through some minor hoops, but it is not a big hassle. I own a number of shotguns and rifles (all of which are registered to my house in the city) but I keep them at a friend's farm where I actually shoot them. If you want something for home protection a .410 will do you just fine (and it is legal in the city), if you want to walk around with a hand gun then become a cop or get yourself elected.
Just pointing out that other then just being a cop, one can also become a security guard and have a hand gun in the city. And guess what if you are security and have a handgun, you don't even have to register it with the city.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:56 AM

60 posts, read 79,862 times
Good citizen...here boy!(whistle)vote Democrat....thats a good boy...fetch!!!

Old 11-28-2009, 03:58 AM

Or just do what every criminal scumbag does and buy a gun stolen from the police property room by a crooked cop.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:06 AM

A hot military select fire weapon with grenade launcher and grenades will cost less than 20,000 dollars.That is a small investment to protect a criminal enterprise.
Your average landscape crew has that much invested in equipment with way less earning potential.No gun control law has ever disarmed a single criminal...period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago