Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 05:32 PM

130 posts, read 170,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I live in a more dangerous environment than most people here and have never felt the need to carry a gun around. In fact, I've never even owned one(well, not a handgun). Reading these posts from a bunch of scary northsiders that plan on packing 'heat' is pretty sad. Some of you people need to take a serious look at yourselves.
Do you wear a seat belt while in a car?

Do you have a fire extinguisher at home?

Do you keep smoke detectors in your house?

Have you or someone in your family ever taken a first aid class?

If you said yes to any of the above, I need you take a serious look at yourself because people who take safety precautions to protect their own lives are "a bunch of scary northsiders." Or maybe, people take precautions so in the case of an emergency, they can improve their odds a little and have a chance at surviving. Better to have the tool or training that can save your life in the off chance you need it, then to not have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Lundegaard View Post
Do you wear a seat belt while in a car?

Do you have a fire extinguisher at home?

Do you keep smoke detectors in your house?

Have you or someone in your family ever taken a first aid class?

If you said yes to any of the above, I need you take a serious look at yourself because people who take safety precautions to protect their own lives are "a bunch of scary northsiders." Or maybe, people take precautions so in the case of an emergency, they can improve their odds a little and have a chance at surviving. Better to have the tool or training that can save your life in the off chance you need it, then to not have it.

Those are some pretty bad analogies. Anyway, I understand your fear. It's a pretty dangerous world out there. I would suggest that women and the more vulnerable among us take extra safety precautions. After all, we don't want someone dragging you into an alley or something, do we?

Old 07-13-2013, 09:02 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
I'm all for the concealed carry.

People who choose to carry should understand the responsibility that comes with carrying a gun.

I can't help but to bring up the George Zimmermann case. He was irresponsible with his privileges and look at what happened. He took a teenagers life and ruined his own. When you pull the trigger you can never ever take back a bullet. Where as if he didn't have his gun, I don't the he would have gotten out of his truck.

You need to know how to defend yourself with a gun but also know how to avoid confrontation.

I'm in my early 40s and never felt the need to carry a weapon! I think a lot of fear of crime people have comes from irresponsible reading and listening to too much news.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:25 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
I really like being able to go to the range and putting some holes in paper.

For most self defence stuff, I think some well placed pepper spray will do the trick and really make someone have a really really bad day. As long as you totally immobilize your target into a heap on the ground, that sounds pretty successful.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:39 PM

285 posts, read 386,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
For most self defence stuff, I think some well placed pepper spray will do the trick and really make someone have a really really bad day. As long as you totally immobilize your target into a heap on the ground, that sounds pretty successful.
Pepper spray would suffice. That stuff is nasty.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:02 PM

364 posts, read 560,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
I see what you're saying. But, no one, and no system, can stop all crime. With that said, I believe society [as a whole] would be much safer if I get hit on the head and robbed for a hundred dollars, than it would be if I was hit on the head and robbed for a 9mm. That's all I'm saying.
If you want to be a victim, by all means roll over.

Remember: When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

I'm stoked that Illinois has joined the 21st century... just as I'm moving out of it.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:08 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Pepper spray would suffice. That stuff is nasty.
Pepper spray (OC)is marginal at best and does little to stop a determined attacker and there is usually a several critical second window before it's effective. Also if outdoors there's a chance of you getting blow back with wind. If someone doesn't want to carry a gun then looking at the personal Taser might be a better option. I've pepper sprayed 5 people and I would say it worked well on 3. Myself and most other cops would gladly throw OC in the trash. The Taser I believe in, but is never a substitute in a deadly force situation. You don't bring OC or a Taser to a gun/knife fight.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:53 PM

285 posts, read 386,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Pepper spray (OC)is marginal at best and does little to stop a determined attacker and there is usually a several critical second window before it's effective. Also if outdoors there's a chance of you getting blow back with wind. If someone doesn't want to carry a gun then looking at the personal Taser might be a better option. I've pepper sprayed 5 people and I would say it worked well on 3. Myself and most other cops would gladly throw OC in the trash. The Taser I believe in, but is never a substitute in a deadly force situation. You don't bring OC or a Taser to a gun/knife fight.
Interesting. Thanks for the experienced perspective.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:44 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Are Tasers and pepper spray legal in Chicago?

Old 07-14-2013, 07:23 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Are Tasers and pepper spray legal in Chicago?
Officer Jim is a cop in Bollingbrook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago