Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,222,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Come on, there are certainly plenty of folks that play to their base with condemnations of Roe v Wade and all sorts of show boaty speachify, but I can't think of too many politicians that actually do anything to actively limit such a thing.
Do you live in a cave? There is an actual term used for onerous zoning, permitting, and licensing requirements created to block abortion clinics: "TRAP" laws, "targeted regulation of abortion providers". The term and strategy was created by anti-abortion groups and they've had incredible success in using it.

In Texas Planned Parenthood has been blocked from participating in state program to provide basic check ups. Virginia has required all abortion clinics to have the same capabilities as a hospital (there is no medically sound reason for this requirement, and no other types of clinics are impacted). South Carolina created requirements for abortion providers that even dictates how frequently the grass outside needs to be cut. Kansas has refused licenses for all of it's abortion clinics.

Do a quick Google search, this is happening all over the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 03:08 PM

118 posts, read 194,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...DRIVE THRU WINDOWS!!!

Elston is a now a rather hideous slice of autocentric development but you can't "put the genie back in the bottle". I predict that within a year there will be some other crappy drive thru window equipped place on the site and Proco will have a nice fat campaign donation from that business...
You're probably right. Depending on the genre of food that may be the end of the line for Nikkos which has a monopoly on drive-thru's in that immediate vicinity and still seems to struggle (unless you count the Popeye's and DD down at Fullerton and Elston)

Old 07-26-2012, 03:16 PM

130 posts, read 171,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
The existing situation is that they CANNOT build a store there. It would be different if the Alderman were changing the zoning to block them, but they are asking for special considerations and due to a variety of factors (including their dishonesty in meetings and traffic concerns) he opts to take no action on their behalf. Legally they don't have a leg to stand on and there's no way they could win a lawsuit.

This is in no way a situation that is unique to Chicago, every community in the country has zoning fights all the time for both practical and political reasons. Aurora went through a fight over a Planned Parenthood clinic, Twisted Kilt has had a difficult time opening restaurants around the state with politicians and competing businesses using zoning and liquor licenses to deny them permits, Hooters always has problems opening new restaurants. There is nothing unusual about controversial businesses running into difficulties getting permits and zoning approval.
This is wrong. Let's use a hypothetical to illustrate why.

Area One is zoned for a certain type of activity (let's say big box stores and strip malls, but no standalone fast food restaurants). Los Pollos Hermanos, a popular chicken outfit, comes along and files a special request to have Area One zoned for a different type of activity (here, the existence of a standalone restaurant in the parking lot of a big box store). Once the request is made and the proper paperwork is filed, the local alderman needs to make a decision on this request (grant, deny, or request more information).

The alderman can make the decision to grant or not grant the request based on a variety of different legitimate reasons. As you point out, this happens everyday across America. What Alderman cannot do is make the decision for an unconstitutional reason. Thus, even though no party is entitled to a particular zoning permit or a variance in existing zoning laws, the Alderman must still act in a constitutional manner when he makes the decision.

1. Race - So if Alderman says to the proprietor of Los Pollos Hermanos, "I am denying your request because you are Hispanic, and I strongly dislike Hispanics; they just don't fit in to this neighborhood well," the Alderman's decision would be unconstitutional. (Why? Because it would constitute governmental discrimination on the basis of race, which is prohibited under the 14th Amendment.)

2. Religion - If Alderman says to the proprietor of Los Pollos Hermanos, "I am denying your request because you are Catholic, and I strongly dislike Catholics; they just don't fit in to this neighborhood well," the Alderman's decision would be unconstitutional. (Why? Because it would constitute governmental discrimination on the basis of religion, which is prohibited under the First Amendment.)

3. Free Speech - If Alderman says to the proprietor of Los Pollos Hermanos, "I am denying your request because I dislike your views on the U.S. War on Drugs, and I believe your views do not comport with Area One," the Alderman's decision would be unconstitutional. (Why? Because it would constitute governmental discrimination on the basis of the content of the proprietor's speech, which is prohibited under the First Amendment.)

Now of course, Alderman could have initially said to the proprietor of Los Pollos Hermanos, "I am denying your request because there is already way too much traffic in this area, and the addition of your restaurant will lead to even more traffic." This would have been totally fine. End of story. Or Alderman could have said, "I am denying your request because your business is a cheesy fast food chain restaurant, and we are trying to maintain a semblance of authenticity and class to Area One." This would have been totally fine. End of story.

But what Alderman can't do is state that his decision to block Los Pollos Hermanos is for an unconstitutional reason. Presumably Alderman would have been educated on how the Constitution works before he would make a decision. That is because his first duty -- even before getting to his constituent's desires or his own personal preferences -- is to uphold the Constitution. We are a nation of laws, not men (even Alderman), and the supreme law of the land is the U.S. Constitution. Unfortunately, most politicians either have a poor understanding of the Constitution, or just don't really care about it.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:22 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,222,862 times
The Alderman is saying that he won't make the change because the values of the chain don't match the values of the ward. The same EXACT reasoning is used all the time when places like Twisted Kilt and Hooters are denied zoning variances (never mind non profits like Planned Parenthood or ACORN). There is nothing unique about this at all.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:23 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,724,668 times
Quote:
The Alderman is saying that he won't make the change because the values of the chain don't match the values of the ward. The same EXACT reasoning is used all the time when places like Twisted Kilt and Hooters are denied zoning variances (never mind Planned Parenthood or ACORN). There is nothing unique about this at all.
Stop trying to be reasonable.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:24 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,973,651 times
Quote:
The Alderman is saying that he won't make the change because the values of the chain don't match the values of the ward. The same EXACT reasoning is used all the time when places like Twisted Kilt and Hooters are denied zoning variances (never mind Planned Parenthood or ACORN). There is nothing unique about this at all.
Exactly. Let's not forget, if the CEO instead said something bad about jews, hispanics, african americans, etc instead of gay people, I guarantee there would be way more people for this, even though it's essentially the same thing.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:36 PM

130 posts, read 171,264 times
Quote:
The Alderman is saying that he won't make the change because the values of the chain don't match the values of the ward. The same EXACT reasoning is used all the time when places like Twisted Kilt and Hooters are denied zoning variances (never mind non profits like Planned Parenthood or ACORN). There is nothing unique about this at all.
Generally, it is fine if Alderman denies the request because the values of the chain don't match the values of his ward. In most circumstances this would be perfectly alright. But in certain circumstances, the Constitution forbids Alderman from making a decision even if he thinks the decision matches up with the values of his ward. I gave you three concrete examples.

Think also of the folks in Tennessee who went out of their way to block an Islamic mosque from going up in their neighborhood. And maybe they were right -- maybe the entire neighborhood was Christian, no one was from an Islamic nation, and the mosque would have been a total fish out of water in that neighborhood. It doesn't matter though -- politicians are prohibited from making a governmental decision based on race, religion, national origin or free speech. It's that simple. (And in the TN example, the mosque owners had to go to federal court to vindicate their rights. I hope they won attorney's fees!)

Now just because it happens all the time doesn't make it right. I understand very well that many southern and midwestern states use the zoning laws to lessen the number of abortion clinics. I think this is totally wrong as a woman's right to choose is a constitutional right. But just because there's nothing unique about this situation doesn't make me wrong or Moreno right. All across America local governments are frequently the biggest violators of constitutional rights, and they probably get away with it the most. That's sad.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:42 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,661,603 times
^I hate hate hate that I agree with this, but I kinda think I do.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM

4,681 posts, read 5,002,043 times
Los Pollos Hermanos, where something delicious is always cooking!

Old 07-26-2012, 03:59 PM

473 posts, read 761,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWaterhouse View Post
You're probably right. Depending on the genre of food that may be the end of the line for Nikkos which has a monopoly on drive-thru's in that immediate vicinity and still seems to struggle (unless you count the Popeye's and DD down at Fullerton and Elston)
Nikko's...Probably the worst gyros I've ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago