Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM

14,796 posts, read 17,795,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
... Prohibition and the War on Drugs another.
Thanks, two other perfect examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,243,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Dude, A2DAC1985, you are so totally WRONG that it is scary you even posting. The GOVERNMENT has no ability to control ANY use of PRIVATE CITIZEN'S money, spending, speech, political views or any other such legitimate PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS!
There is absolutely no attempt to do any of the things you list.

Government most definitely has the right to set zoning laws, and also has the right to not change them when a business requests a change. That's what is happening here.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,062,668 times
By the way, from six days ago:
Mayor Menino on Chick-fil-A: Stuff it - BostonHerald.com

Boston was first ;-)

Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,925,777 times
The word from Moreno:

The word from Moreno:
WHY I SAID NO TO CHICK-FIL-A

Yesterday morning the Tribune first reported that I was denying Chick-fil-A the necessary support to open a location on Elston. Today, they finally published my guest editorial, which I gave to them earlier this week.

I spent hours explaining my position to reporters yesterday, including ABC national and Chicago Tonight. Over the last 24 hours, my staff and I have been inundated with calls from all over the country from people who believe in "traditional marriage."

In every meeting I had with Chick-fil-A people over the last 9 months they told me they didn't support anti-gay causes. Last week, the comments from the CEO of the company made it clear that they were lying to my face in every one of those meetings. Also, there were issues with increased traffic congestion, which were never resolved.

I'm a staunch believer in equality. I will not support a business that discriminates against a minority population. I believe the majority of 1st Warders agree with this opinion. I'm tired of self-professed "liberals," who have no backbone and are all talk. Denying Chick-fil-A is taking a stand for what is right.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:15 PM

130 posts, read 171,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Bingo.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander - Moreno is also entitled to his opinion & his right to free speech. In fact, he seems to have worked hard to try to get the company to insert some anti-discrimination language in their hiring policies.

Totally agreed he made a mess trying to score political points, but what he says to the media isn't the same thing as formally denying a zoning request due to the applicant's views on gay marriage.
Moreno is of course entitled to his opinion - no one is disputing that. He is free to tell the world that he vehemently disagrees with Chik-Fil-A's views on gays and gay marriage. He can challenge Chik-Fil-A's owner to a public debate on the issue. He can start a Facebook page called "Chik-Fil-A Is a Homophobic Restaurant." He can encourage his constituents to boycott Chik-Fil-A. Etc., etc. etc.

What Moreno can't do, as a government actor, is use his government powers to make a negative decision against the restaurant based on the owner's constitutionally protected speech. And that is what the Chicago Tribune is reporting and what came out of Moreno's own mouth. From today's Trib:

"The controversy over Chick-fil-A began earlier this week when the Tribune reported that Ald. Proco "Joe" Moreno, 1st, planned to use his aldermanic privilege to block the construction of a second Chick-fil-A in Logan Square because of comments made last week by company President Dan Cathy."

Old 07-26-2012, 12:22 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,933,936 times
Sorry, OP, you'll get no sympathy from me for an overtly anti-gay corporation. "Hipsters" and The Daily Show have nothing to do with it. It's a basic human rights issue. There are plenty of places to get crappy fast food without supporting hate. Keep those bigots as far away from me and my city as possible, please.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:33 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,608,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Sorry, OP, you'll get no sympathy from me for an overtly anti-gay corporation. "Hipsters" and The Daily Show have nothing to do with it. It's a basic human rights issue. There are plenty of places to get crappy fast food without supporting hate. Keep those bigots as far away from me and my city as possible, please.

Chicago is overflowing with various bigots. A few more won't change anything. The problem is that this city has far too many alderman. The bloated city council is the equivalent of a 500 pound couch potato. The city needs to cut the number of alderman in half but I guess that's another debate.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 PM

130 posts, read 171,828 times
More from Moreno's op-ed in the Trib:

Initially, I had some traffic concerns with their plan. But then I heard the bigoted, homophobic comments by Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy, who recently came out against same-sex marriage. There are consequences for one's actions, statements and beliefs. Because of this man's ignorance, I will deny Chick-fil-A a permit to open a restaurant in my ward.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,3773507.story

So he outrightly admits to making the zoning decision based on Chik-Fil-A's views on gay marriage. I guess no one taught him how the First Amendment works, and that even completely bigoted people have a right to say what they want without having to fear government reprisal. Thank goodness Moreno wasn't working for the ACLU back when the KKK tried to march through Skokie.

Last edited by J. Lundegaard; 07-26-2012 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Edited to fix link, which was wrong.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,933,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
This will only draw more businesses to his ward...Logan Square is blowing up with new locally based businesses precisely because it isn't the place where this kind of crap is welcome.
Exactly. I love that neighborhood more and more each time I visit. (I'd consider living there if it were more convenient to my work.) If they manage to keep Chik-fil-A out I'll have yet another reason to love them.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:57 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago