Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:28 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,570,234 times

Advertisements

I live about 6 blocks from there, albeit in the 32nd Ward, and I'm fine with Moreno, anbd what he's doing. That stretch of Elston is busy enough without adding another national fast food place. There's plenty of stuff there as is.

+1 to you, Attrill. Especially for pointing out that most of the posters complaining the loudest about this, seem to live nowhere around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,939,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
I live about 6 blocks from there, albeit in the 32nd Ward, and I'm fine with Moreno, anbd what he's doing. That stretch of Elston is busy enough without adding another national fast food place. There's plenty of stuff there as is.

+1 to you, Attrill. Especially for pointing out that most of the posters complaining the loudest about this, seem to live nowhere around here.
+1 for dabodayouse.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:23 PM

9,916 posts, read 9,701,485 times
Sheesh! I can understand if a business wants to come into an area and the business would ruin the neighborhood, i.e. Old Town in the 1960's was a real cool hip place to be (North Ave and Wells to Fullerton), now its a sanitized strip mall, and lost its charm. I can see where in Boystown, the Wallmart was not wanted by some because it defeats the boutique small mom and pop stores which potentially get hurt by a big box store. ok that said -

I refuse to follow someone ELSE'S agenda, especially when its shoved down my throat. I am neither for nor against gay marriage; of all the issues, that one is the least interesting to me to get involved in.

I think its hypocritical though to claim that gays are being discriminated against, and then do the same thing, and then discriminate someone who has an opposing view, this being ChikFila with opposition to gay marriage.

Discrimination is not legal, no alderman has any right to say no we wont let you come in to our neighborhood because you are christian or fundie, or whatever.

I think this alderman is doing this for votes. It makes no sense to keep a business away from a place when it has more to offer like jobs.

For that matter about "I wont support a business because they like gays", well then Mr Fundie, I guess you better stop taking your kids to Disneyland because they do support gays (Gay Day) for example. I am not going to stop patronizing business because they have some view ,, if you really wanted to do research on what businesses have as issues, you would be shocked, so now we are supposed to not patronize a perfectly good business because someone has an issue you dont agree with? That is stupid and I refuse to be put in someone's box/agenda. You can also boycott a business if an employee is ___ fill in the blank because I am sure that business supports that ___ person by giving him/her a job. so keep narrowing it down and keep on boycotting it, and by the time you are done, you will have boycotted the whole damn city!!!!

For that matter, you may as well stop using your computer becaause an atheist developed it.. this can get ridiculous!!!

In case you don't know by know, it totally angers me when someone thinks that I should be pigeonholed into THEIR agenda.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:46 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,876,823 times
Thing is, a local walk up type business would not be appropriate for the site in the Home Depot parking lot. Maybe one the bigger beef chains (Buona, Pop's Portillo) would do similar volume or higher. Of course if Proco suggested that he get flack from the folks that thing Elston should be "fixed speed bicycle only" or maybe the folks that long for the days that Elston was lined with places that had high paying union jobs.

You can't turn back the fact that Elston has been a very dramatic example of very poorly thought out car centric zoning choices that sadly has lots of negative consequences BUT ALSO a very real benefit to the CONNECTED developers that have made out like BANDITS as well as helping a handful of CONNECTED folks in the trades that built the big generic shopping district...

Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM

537 posts, read 1,041,585 times
I ride my bike down Elston everyday I ride into the office, I hope that qualifies me to comment. That stretch of Elston from Diversey to Fullerton might as well be Golf Road in Schaumburg, complete with 4 large chain stores and suburban parking lots. Not sure I've ever seen a hipster hanging out at Jo-Ann Fabrics or The Room Place. Chick Fil-A will do nothing to ruin the "urban-ness" of the area, nor will it substantially add to the already very crowded traffic patterns.

This alderman is grandstanding and overstepping his bounds. It's a scary country we now live in when politicians can decide how big our soft drinks can be and disallow restaurants simply because of a religious belief of the CEO. Let the constituents vote with their pocketbooks, it's not the alderman's or any politicians job to tell anyone what type of food they can eat.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,252,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
it's not the alderman's or any politicians job to tell anyone what type of food they can eat.
No, but it is the alderman's preogative to not change the zoning laws to increase the density of businesses along that strip. Most constituents in the 1st Ward will agree with that decision for a variety of reasons.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 PM

I still find baffling how not giving a company a zoning variance is discrimination. Anybody here able to call their alderman and have their property spot upzoned just so they can make more money?

Chick a whatevah is free to go find a spot already zoned the way they want it, the fact that the owner is a bigot isn't his problem so much as he didn't hire a real estate broker with a lick of common sense and experience. People gripe about all kinds of unwanted businesses and property conversions, nothin new here.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
No, but it is the alderman's preogative to not change the zoning laws to increase the density of businesses along that strip. Most constituents in the 1st Ward will agree with that decision for a variety of reasons.
Bingo. Upzoning should be done when the majority of local yokels support it. In this case, nobody does. Game over.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,099,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post

I think its hypocritical though to claim that gays are being discriminated against, and then do the same thing, and then discriminate someone who has an opposing view, this being ChikFila with opposition to gay marriage.

Discrimination is not legal, no alderman has any right to say no we wont let you come in to our neighborhood because you are christian or fundie, or whatever.
[image: A flyer for the restaurant Chick-fil-a... - Madame Thursday

Quote:
A flyer for the restaurant Chick-fil-a that reads: “Thank you NYU! for keeping Chick-fil-a part of your family. We are now hiring! Please visit our restaurant at 5 University Place for details!*” With the image of a chicken sandwich. In very, very small print below is the text: “Remember Chick-Fil-A is a Christian company. We strive to have our values reflected in our employees. Please be prepared to discuss your religion, family history, personal relationships, etc upon interviewing. Chick-Fil-A reserves the right to question, in detail, your sexual relationship history. The Bible and Chick-FIL-a, define a traditional relationship as consisting of a man and woman. Anyone living a life of sin need not apply. The Chick-Fil-A Foundation. God, Family, Tradition. Chickfilafoundation.com press@chickfilafoundation.com
Dan Cathy, Chick-Fil-A President, On Anti-Gay Stance: 'Guilty As Charged'

Old 07-25-2012, 09:15 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,252,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Thing is, a local walk up type business would not be appropriate for the site in the Home Depot parking lot. Maybe one the bigger beef chains (Buona, Pop's Portillo) would do similar volume or higher. Of course if Proco suggested that he get flack from the folks that thing Elston should be "fixed speed bicycle only" or maybe the folks that long for the days that Elston was lined with places that had high paying union jobs.

You can't turn back the fact that Elston has been a very dramatic example of very poorly thought out car centric zoning choices that sadly has lots of negative consequences BUT ALSO a very real benefit to the CONNECTED developers that have made out like BANDITS as well as helping a handful of CONNECTED folks in the trades that built the big generic shopping district...
And so as a suburbanite you want to make the Elston corridor worse? Your reference to "fixed speed bicycle only" is irrelevant, and to be honest, pathetic jingoism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago