Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:46 PM

4,710 posts, read 5,033,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Have you looked at a map that lays out where they are?
No, have you? A lot live here, and I know this from...wait for it...talking to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 03:48 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,740,454 times
I certainly didn't say there were no anti-gay marriage types here, did I? You're saying half of Americans are against gay marriage. This is true. I'm saying that polls show that those numbers are disproportionately located in the south and in non-urbanized midwest areas. By the law of statistics if more than 50 percent of people in those areas are anti-gay marriage then it must follow that less than 50 percent are anti-gay marriage in Chicago and on the coasts.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:52 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,933,218 times
Quote:
I'm saying that polls show that those numbers are disproportionately located in the south and in non-urbanized midwest areas.
It's disproportionally old people, too . It's a dying mindset, thankfully. At this point it's a matter of whether companies want to be on the right or wrong side of history. Most are choosing the right one, which makes idiots like Chick-fil-A stand out.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:55 PM

130 posts, read 171,790 times
Quote:
But he had no problem with civil unions and didn't believe homosexuality was a sin. See the difference? One is a political position, one is a human rights issue.
Sort of. I mean I know he was okay with civil unions and I guess he didn't see homosexuality as a sin, but up until a month ago the guy thought gays should not get married. That is, that marriage is supposed to be between a man and a woman. Generally, when other politicians -- particulary Christians or Republicans -- say that marriage should be between a man and woman (and therefore not for gays), they're called homophobic. Or they're compared to people from the 1950s who were against interracial marriage.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:27 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,129,887 times
It's a hot topic in a lot of different locations around the nation.

Last winter I even remember reading an article of a town in conservative bible thumping Indiana that had opposed the restaurant at a local
college or university.

Hollywood Chick-fil-A Addresses Controversy (Sort Of) + 3 Cities Oppose The Chain - Los Angeles Restaurants and Dining - Squid Ink

Old 07-27-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The vast majority of folks in Chicago would probably LOVE any fast food resturant that has a drive thru...
Most city residents I know would move to the suburbs if they wanted to be surrounded by drive-thrus, strip malls, big box stores, etc. There are plenty of places in America that have nothing but that stuff. We live in the city of Chicago because it's not one of those places.

That being said, there's a major difference between "a restaurant that has a drive thru" and a restaurant that has a drive-thru and donates millions of $ to hate groups.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...that bike of yours, fixed gear? You know brakes are for whimps and whenever your wheels are moving so must those pedals. The better to show off just how snuggly you dungarees hug your ankles...
Your posts are increasingly demonstrating an intense animosity toward young urban dwellers. What, exactly, is the reason you spend so much time on a board geared toward that population?

Last edited by Plzeň; 07-27-2012 at 04:52 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 04:57 PM

14,796 posts, read 17,789,550 times
Quote:
But he had no problem with civil unions and didn't believe homosexuality was a sin. See the difference? One is a political position, one is a human rights issue.
Nuance and reason have never been a strong point of the right wing.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:19 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,922,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Lundegaard View Post
Sort of. I mean I know he was okay with civil unions and I guess he didn't see homosexuality as a sin, but up until a month ago the guy thought gays should not get married. That is, that marriage is supposed to be between a man and a woman. Generally, when other politicians -- particulary Christians or Republicans -- say that marriage should be between a man and woman (and therefore not for gays), they're called homophobic. Or they're compared to people from the 1950s who were against interracial marriage.
Not quite how I would describe it. Plenty of heteros, including myself, had no problem with someone's sexuality, but didn't necessarily understand at first why the legal status of being married was such a big deal. Then I learned more about how it impacts everything from adopting/Raising children to buying a home to having the right to visit your significant other in the hospital, and then of course health insurance.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,040,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Firing someone for legal behavior that the owner believes is "sinful" raises all sorts of red flags in terms of discrimination (i.e. he obviously thinks homosexuality is sinful, so would he fire and employee for that "sin"?). They've settled loads of suits out of court and are currently facing a gender discrimination suit. Since they tend to settle these types of thing outside of the courts it's hard to get specifics on what they're doing.
I have to say that the Christian right's hypocrisy about marriage in general is interesting. See the actual Bible quotes on this site:

WTF WOULD JESUS DO?: Marriage, as defined by the Bible

Quote:
So, according to the Bible: polygamy is cool, selling your daughters into marriage is cool, marrying your aunt is cool, women who have been raped get the awesome prize of marrying their rapists, women who get married and can't prove their virginity get to be stoned to death, men can't marry again after divorcing their wives unless their wives successfully re-marry, and offering your daughter in marriage as a prize for murder is totally kosh.

So, the question becomes, how much of this Biblical definition of marriage is acceptable by the standards of modern Christianity?

What this means, of course, is that Christians have been re-defining marriage for a long time now. What, then, is so ****ing hard about extending that re-definition to include homosexuality, which is barely mentioned in the Bible (but for some reason, is vilified by the right as the worst sin ever)? Once again, my friends, we have a big steaming pile of hypocrisy coming from the Christian right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago