Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:56 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Let's just start with the basics here. What is a fair share of one's income to pay in taxes/support society at large?
Does this include all taxes of every kind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Let's just start with the basics here. What is a fair share of one's income to pay in taxes/support society at large? Is public transportation an essential, or a luxury? Etc.

I think few people think about what a "fair" tax is. They just rant about taxes, period, or they support government programs without considering the cost. There is a middle way to do things, but it does require sacrifices and accepting government can't do everything.
Good questions, but difficult to answer. I agree that the government cannot do everything. OTOH, we no longer have a society that allows for people themselves to come together to do many of the things government does.

I am interested in this Fair Tax Bill, but I am not sure of its real consequences especially toward corporations. It is an interesting idea to be sure.

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation

Fair Tax Pros and Cons

There are some books about this, that I have not read yet, but I plan to look into it further.

Amazon.com: The FairTax Book (9780060875411): Neal Boortz, John Linder: Books

Old 02-13-2011, 04:10 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,571 times
We'll here's another "rob Peter to pay Paul" Quinn move. This makes sense, let's not pay the Feds for interest on money the State borrowed and we'll worry all about this is in 2014. So again, what was the point of raising the Income Tax if we aren't going to actually start paying bills to get us out of a deficit. Why am I even surprised?

Durbin wants unemployment aid for states - Chicago Breaking News

Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Why am I even surprised?
Nothing these boneheads do surprises me.

This is staggering:

"Last year the state paid out more than $3.1 billion dollars in jobless benefits."

Durbin wants unemployment aid for states - Chicago Breaking News

Old 02-13-2011, 05:49 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,293 times
Quote:
Coldwine, you are aware that this tax is for all of IL, not just precious little Chicago right?
I don't think I can impress upon you how little I care about Illinois outside of Chicago. Not in text.

It's not that cowfields and Stepford suburbia aren't on my radar; there's at least as much indifference as there is a very keen certainty that any discussion on a board called CHICAGO probably concerns CHICAGO and not, you know... NOT CHICAGO.

You have fun with the logical implications of that.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I don't think I can impress upon you how little I care about Illinois outside of Chicago.
If you cared about Chicago as much as you claim you do, you would not be living in California.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
If you cared about Chicago as much as you claim you do, you would not be living in California.
I'll just bend every major city on the Pacific-- from China to the United States -- and all of South America to your whim, then. What a fantastic idea.

You're just an idiot.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:46 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,571 times
Hmmm, Coldwine, the logic of this being a State wide tax increase and not just Chicago must escape you. I can't impress upon you how little I care about Chicago other than the stranglehold it has on an entire State. Mainly because of Chicago is the reason the State is getting sucked dry in terms of money. So from a suburbs perspective, I'm paying my fair share. Maybe it's time for Chicago to triple it's property taxes and put it on par of most suburbs. That way Chicago can pay for it's own programs instead of wasting more of my money and others it then takes from the State. I'm not paying my taxes to the State to then have it be squandered in Chicago.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
1) Aren't highways funded in large part by government tax money as well? They are NOT 100% funded by gasoline tax; only a portion of the gas tax funds highways. This myth of public transit being funded by tax money and highways being self-funded is delusional. BOTH rely heavily on outside funds and are not self -funding (except tollways)
2) Coldwine, the relationship between city and suburbs is symbiotic. One is stronger with the other and weaker without it. I would love to have Cook Co. government encompass only Chicago. Then my county tax money would stay in the suburbs and NONE of it would go into the city.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, Coldwine, the logic of this being a State wide tax increase and not just Chicago must escape you. I can't impress upon you how little I care about Chicago other than the stranglehold it has on an entire State. Mainly because of Chicago is the reason the State is getting sucked dry in terms of money. So from a suburbs perspective, I'm paying my fair share. Maybe it's time for Chicago to triple it's property taxes and put it on par of most suburbs. That way Chicago can pay for it's own programs instead of wasting more of my money and others it then takes from the State. I'm not paying my taxes to the State to then have it be squandered in Chicago.
You're more than welcome to move to other Midwestern states without a Chicago analogue, then.

I hear Gary, Indiana, Detroit, Michigan and the entire state of Ohio are fabulous places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago