Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:07 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,580,420 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find anything on this board about Mayor Daley's suggested 11% sales tax hike he wants to put thru. It was in the Wall St. Journal the other day, and that means it will be going up from 9%, I think, which is already the highest in the nation.
When I was in New Orleans French Quarter 3 years ago, I think it was 10% sales tax that Walgreens charged me for some tshirts as I was shocked.
But Daley wants to hike it 11%.
Has this been on the news in Chicago? Has anybody brought this up? What is happening with this????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 10:21 AM

97 posts, read 327,146 times
sales tax will probably be raised, but not up to 11%. its all over the local papers along with lots of other tax proposals.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:56 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,227,941 times
The bulk of the sales tax has nothing to do with Daley, it's mostly due to a 2% increase propsed by Todd Stroger for Cook County. Daley's proposed tax increase is focused around property taxes and a glut of random fee increases and product specific taxes (i.e. alcohol, bottled water,etc.).

The increases that Daley has proposed are being negotiated now, and will be reduced until he gets enough aldermen to sign off on it, so it's tough to say where it end up. God only knows what Stroger is thinking, he's already said the sales tax increase is more money than the county needs but he's not going to budge.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:07 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,105,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
God only knows what Stroger is thinking.
He isn't thinking, and that is his problem. I don't know he ended up in office, I'm still scratching my head on that one.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,366,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
He isn't thinking, and that is his problem. I don't know he ended up in office, I'm still scratching my head on that one.
He ended up in office because because the Cook County electorate would rather let a barely experienced kid get away with a nepotistic power grab than vote for a competent Republican. This stupid county deserves the moron they elected with open eyes.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:30 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,105,437 times
Right, and that is what confounds me (as a life long Democrat who voted for the other guy). I always maintained that a vote for Stroger was a vote for the divine right of kings (or at least the divine right of the children of Cook County politicians), but apparently not as many people as I would have liked agreed with me.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,366,361 times
You can bet I'll remember this moment when I flee out to the suburbs and city snobs ask me why I'm contributing to sprawl and ruining the environment or whatever other moral failure is inherently tied up with not living in the city. "Because you stupid voters chased me out, that's why."

Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,580,420 times
You know, I have been waiting over 36 years for Chicago voters to wise up about Daley, cronyism, nepotism, graft and greed. But it ain't happened yet... Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Years from now when the Daleys are out of office totally (assuming it happens some day), I think Chicago and Illinois voters will kick themselves in the backside for being so blind that they allowed themselves to be robbed for years and years by this group. Unbelievable...
and one of the reasons I would never go back there to live permanently...although I do love the Chicago people, restaurants, architecture and culture there. Sad for me, eh?

Old 11-29-2009, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,455 times
As long as the people of this or any city refer to politicians as the government nothing will change. It's like sports, you can't fire everybody, you fire head of the team. I had no knowledge is no excuse when the ones you put in place are caught doing wrong. Why would they believe that it's alright?

Old 11-30-2009, 09:01 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,690,747 times
Am I surprised if sales tax go up again? Not really. A 12 year old running a lemonade stand could grasp simple economics better than these clowns in office, especially Stroger.

Here is a breakdown of the cycle that apparently is too complex for these nimwits to understand:

-Economic downturn lowers income from sales tax
-Budget deficits warrant budget reform
-Rather than lower outlays, the politicians vote to skim more off the top
-Taxes are raised on the goods
-Less people buy the goods because of the tax hike
-Less revenue is produced from taxation
-Budget deficits warrant budet reform
-Rather than lower outlays, the politicans vote to skim more off the top
-More citizens travel out of the taxing region to buy necessary goods
-Local small business folds
-Economy increases, but people are unwilling to pay high prices because of taxation
-Budget reform is warranted to close gaps

Unreal that these idiots are elected to office to represent us, and this is what they do. I don't even think that a degree in economics or political science should be required... commonsense should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: