Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 16,062 times

Advertisements

It just passed the house and will pass the senate. State income taxes are going up 75% so that public employees' unions can keep their pensions.

Why am I not hearing more outrage from people here in chicago over this? I just moved here from the south and if someone pulled a stunt like this people would go postal. Here people just seem to think it's par for the course.

But when more and more companies continue to shut down and move south, you'll understand why. These social safety nets just can't be sustained. It's criminal what these politicians are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
There is some in here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/illin...e-fleeing.html

Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVols View Post
Why am I not hearing more outrage from people here in chicago over this?
Because 90% of the people that voted for bozo Quinn in Chicago are going to benefit from the increase through more entitlements or saving their government pension plan. Simple as that.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
This state, particularly Chicago, is owned by the unions.

My guess is once people get their tax bills there will be outrage and you will start to see these public pensions (teachers, govt workers, firemen, and police) frozen or cut. Either that or you will see mass layoffs so that the old public employees can continue to get their fat pensions.

I actually though there would be more resistance but dems are pretty strong in Illinois.

The bond market is loving it though.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:00 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Don't worry even after the 66% increase your income tax rate is still lower than Wisconsin's. Now IL debt is at 14-15 billion, it is said that the new increase will raise 7 billion in new revenue so let's see if in 3 years IL debt is 0 or plus some. I wouldn't hold my breath, somewhere in southern IL they are planning a new highway and a bridge to somewhere.

This tax hike literally will cost families thousands of dollars right away. You know they do say, you get the government you deserve IE you voted for them. However just like a politician who is losing their job to say ********* IL here is one last .....in the ..... . BOHICA aka bend over here it come again.

Trust me they won't use this to fix the budget they will use the money for what ever they want.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Don't worry even after the 66% increase your income tax rate is still lower than Wisconsin's.
We do not have it better than you in Chicago and Cook County.

You don't have a tax on food there. We do here. We have astronomical gas,cigarette, and liquor taxes. We even have an extra fast food tax! We have a ridiculously high sales tax on everything from a t-shirt to a condom.

You might have a higher income tax, but you do not pay the sales and excise taxes we do.

You have a better deal up there, trust me.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
Folks seem to not even flinch...sad. I guess A) They don't care or B) Agree it has to be done.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default The "Madigan brain trust" is a thing to behold...

The guy is an evil genuis that makes bad guys in Bond movies seem like infants!

The Obama 2% CUT in payroll FICA taxes will mean that virtually no wage earners will notice any change in their paychecks until 2012.

Once people do get a taste for the huge pain they AND BUSINESSES THAT EMPLOY THEM / SELL STUFF TO 'EM are gonna suffer, Lisa's kids will be old enough so she can either run for Governor against a completely discredited "I make up any silly story to get elected " fool Quinn OR set her sights on a shiny seat for US Senate. Woooohooo, and he didn't even have to pay for a way to put his darling daughter in the catbird seat to be a legitimate possibility of first female prexy!!!

Meanwhile the UNIONS WILL BE FAT AND HAPPY AND KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT -- bought off with money that will no doubt be spread too much toward current contracts AND AGAIN SHORTING PENSION FUNDING AS THEY HAVE DONE OVER AND OVER AND OVER SINCE ABOUT WHEN JIM THOMPSON LEFT OFFICE!!!

Cullerton is the ultimate boot licking lackey, the GOP does not matter to Madigan or even Quinn or any other outgoing Springpatch bums.

Pure evil genius!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Thank God for Chris Christie!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,232 times
Look at who the burden is on the Pension program. It's not the cops or fireman, it's the politicians and their cronies. This State makes me sick and it's run by corrupt crooks. Sure blame people that work for a living. Don't blame the hole in the budget on millions and millions of dollars spent on welfare suckers and generations that have never worked because they get LINK, WIC, Section 8, free cell phones, etc. Once again the working man is going to pay for this. But the ones that take and get the handouts, where is their sacrifice. Oh that's right, most politicians will pander down, they won't take away handouts because that'll cost them votes. I forgot, the "evil" in society is the working class that pay their bills, mortgages, cars and other obligations on time. The ones that sit on their asses, cry for more money, claim they can't pay for their house or how dare the bank repo their over priced car, these are the "victims". Friggin' spare me. The rich get richer with corruption and kickbacks, jam it to the working class, then give our hard earned money away. Another reason why I'm trying to leave this State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago