Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
We do not have it better than you in Chicago and Cook County.

You don't have a tax on food there. We do here. We have astronomical gas,cigarette, and liquor taxes. We even have an extra fast food tax! We have a ridiculously high sales tax on everything from a t-shirt to a condom.

You might have a higher income tax, but you do not pay the sales and excise taxes we do.

You have a better deal up there, trust me.
I know you have a lot higher taxes than WI I wasn't stating that I was just pointing out that our income tax is still higher. Yes beer is dirt cheap here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Thank God for the 2% Payroll tax cut. Otherwise, I'd have to find a way to slash about 60 bucks a month from my budget. To some, that may not seem like a lot, but that's the cost of my electric, internet and life insurance bills. That sucks.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Ofcjim is right -- for every cop that retires on maybe $40k of income...

...there are political appointees and "superintendents" or whatever stacking 4 or 5 x that.

It is nuts!

Cops could get some nut job blast 'em in face when they serve a warrant, the worst thing that the pols have to face is some heckler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Look at who the burden is on the Pension program. It's not the cops or fireman, it's the politicians and their cronies. This State makes me sick and it's run by corrupt crooks. Sure blame people that work for a living. Don't blame the hole in the budget on millions and millions of dollars spent on welfare suckers and generations that have never worked because they get LINK, WIC, Section 8, free cell phones, etc. Once again the working man is going to pay for this. But the ones that take and get the handouts, where is their sacrifice. Oh that's right, most politicians will pander down, they won't take away handouts because that'll cost them votes. I forgot, the "evil" in society is the working class that pay their bills, mortgages, cars and other obligations on time. The ones that sit on their asses, cry for more money, claim they can't pay for their house or how dare the bank repo their over priced car, these are the "victims". Friggin' spare me. The rich get richer with corruption and kickbacks, jam it to the working class, then give our hard earned money away. Another reason why I'm trying to leave this State.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Because this income tax increase is to pay for bills and debts that basically have already happened.

This has been discussed for a LONG time now. There really aren't any other choices at this point. It's not like we can cut spending to erase debt we already have. Everyone hates the tax increase - but at this point we need to stabilize things before we start figuring out how to correct the future.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
but at this point we need to stabilize things before we start figuring out how to correct the future.
Yeah like cutting spending NOW. It should have been cut TWO fricken' YEARS ago when Bozo took over for Blago, yet the dufus spent even more money we did not have! This guy makes Blago look like a genius.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:11 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Oh how WRONG YOU YOU ARE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Because this income tax increase is to pay for bills and debts that basically have already happened.

This has been discussed for a LONG time now. There really aren't any other choices at this point. It's not like we can cut spending to erase debt we already have. Everyone hates the tax increase - but at this point we need to stabilize things before we start figuring out how to correct the future.

Choice #1 -- SLASH THE SIZE OF THE LEGISLATURE!

Choice #2 -- Tell anybody not a cop or firefighter on the street and under 50 that the magic pension is gone baby gone. The old farts should have left along time ago, but it is too late to get them to face the reality that private sector employees have had to deal with since the 1980s

Choice #3 -- Turn off the ridiculous river of money that flow through Springpatch! Despite the "brokeness" of this idiotic state the morons continue to spread around PORKOLA like they can print money. From stupid projects to fund road signs with politicians NAMES ON 'Em to underwriting overpriced everything like power doors for libraries and billboards to go along with 'em to remind people that crooks like Blago and Rezcko benefit from sweetheart deals at the expense of all of us

PEOPLE PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR TAILENDS, the tax increase JUST LETS THE BUMS KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!! They are CROOKS, do not let them snow you! I want a budget that funds the prisons, the state police and very little else...

Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 PM

Listen to this lackey:

"It's time for us to be adults, face the crisis, and figure out together a solution," said Rep. Barbara Flynn Currie, (D) Chicago.

Ill. House passes major tax increase | abc7chicago.com

Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,109 times
Also, just to clarify. MOST Police and Fire pensions have NOTHING to do with the State. They are paid in to by the municipality, NOT using State money. My pension is paid for by the residents of Bolingbrook as an example. So my pension in not burdening the State's finances like some politicians are trying to have you believe. The burden is on the municipality, and it's up to them to manage it right. The bloodsucker to the State for pensions is these double dipping corrupt politicians that will work 2-3 state jobs throughout their career and collect a pension for each one. I pay hundreds of dollars a check into my pension, much like people do with a 401K. Hell, with the amount of money I pay I might be better off with a 401K in the long haul. But if decent pensions and health care is taken away from emergency services, who would even consider the job? It sure as hell isn't for the working hours, damage to the physical and mental state, holidays worked, events missed and some members of the public trying to kill us.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
The bloodsucker to the State for pensions is these double dipping corrupt politicians that will work 2-3 state jobs throughout their career and collect a pension for each one.
It's not just politicians, normal state workers do it too.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:07 AM

588 posts, read 1,800,109 times
Hmmm, let's cut some waste you think. Illinois spent $70,000,000 on this insurance program and it's believed that 70% of it was used by illegal aliens. Keep working hard, people on welfare are counting on you. I'm sure there are dozens of other programs such as this with waste.

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/artic...ws/ill1201.txt

Or let's break it down simply. Illegals cost Illinois $3,500,000,000, yes BILLION a year sucking off our education, medical and committing crimes. But hey, Chicago is a sanctuary city, guess the politicians think they do no harm.

http://caosblog.com/archives/14853 (broken link)
http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServe...search_ilcosts
You think budget gaps might close if we stop paying for this stupidity?

Last edited by ofcjim40; 01-12-2011 at 12:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago