Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 08:39 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
All this talk about Publix, Harris Teeter, Bi-lo, Food Lion ect, is moot. Just bring in a Piggly Wiggly and be done with it.
The closest one is in Blacksburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 08:44 PM

372 posts, read 658,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Actually, Lancaster and Clover

Old 11-03-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
There is a reason for this. Grocery shopping in Charlotte isn't affected by Cleveland county.
If that's what you took out of it, there's nothing that I can say except that's not what I said. Just get used to hearing about Publix.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
I hope they're better than what I've heard about the one in Blacksburg.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
If you want to be exact, BI-LO didn't "buy" Winn-Dixie. The companies merged. You're putting BI-LO and Winn-Dixie in two different categories, when they're both in the same. Therefore, you'd be saying Publix and Ingles (two different categories) are pressuring Winn-Dixie and BI-LO. What happens if Winn-Dixie comes back to Charlotte? What if BI-LO were to add more stores in Charlotte? I've been in a few newer Ingles. Yes, the stores are very nice. That does not mean Ingles is on the Publix/Harris Teeter "level". Ingles is only prominent western NC, not the Charlotte market. Harris Teeter and BI-LO are focused in the Charlotte metro within the state. No ones leaving.
I'm sorry, BiLo's holding company bought it.

Not the same level? You mean over-priced? The weekly ads don't really match up, but how's this.

Publix (This is a Publix thread.)

porterhouse or t-bone steaks USDA choice - $7.99 lb

Harris Teeter

porterhouse or t-bone steaks - $8.97 lb (ad did not mention grade)

Food Lion

The other 3 don't match.

Bi-Lo

Boneless sirloin tip roast (angus) - $3.49 lb (ad did not mention grade)

Ingles

Boneless sirloin tip roast USDA choice - $3.28

Lowes Foods

bone-in angus strip steak USDA choice $5.77 lb

Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, BiLo's holding company bought it.

Not the same level? You mean over-priced? The weekly ads don't really match up, but how's this.

Publix (This is a Publix thread.)

Harris Teeter

porterhouse or t-bone steaks - $8.97 lb (ad did not mention grade)

Food Lion

The other 3 don't match.

Bi-Lo

Boneless sirloin tip roast (angus) - $3.49 lb (ad did not mention grade)

Ingles

Boneless sirloin tip roast USDA choice - $3.28

Lowes Foods

bone-in angus strip steak USDA choice $5.77 lb
Publix & Harris Teeter.
Food Lion/BI-LO/Ingles.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:20 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
Failed? I got your context completely. How hard is it to get you to answer a simple question. Who is "We?"

As far as business 101 goes, likability and brand loyalty go a long way when it comes to the bottom line. I like the fact you're putting Publix in the same basket as all the rest. Funny how all of a sudden, HT is now marketing a triple coupon campaign.....

You're really "Mr Harris Teeter" aren't you
If you can only make arguments with personal insults, then this only means you can't address the real points made. If you read through my posts on this forum you will find that I'm no fan of shopping at Harris Teeter. I'm not taken in by these relatively expensive "life style" stores that HT & Publix have turned themselves into. In other words, your japery is completely off base and wrong. This is why Bi-Lo will hold it's on in Charlotte, they go after the buyer who won't pay the prices charged in these places.

Furthermore, if "brand loyalty" were as important as you say it was, then logically Publix doesn't have a chance in an area where Harris Teeter has existed for close to 80 years. Furthermore, Sears, Kmart & every grocery store in the country will tell you that "brand loyalty" means zip as they watch Walmart, now the largest retailer in the world, take away their business.

There is nothing "funny" about HT marketing triple coupons. This falls in exactly with what I've said. As I said earlier, business is business. Emotions, even humorous ones, are not part of it. " Business 101", LOL

Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
Quote:
I hope they're better than what I've heard about the one in Blacksburg.
Piggly Wiggly had several stores in upstate South Carolina at one time. Piggly Wiggly closed two Spartanburg stores in the 1990s with present competition from Bi-Lo, Ingle's, Harris Teeter, Winn Dixie and whatever was left of Community Cash. Piggly Wiggly would resurface in several old Community Cash stores in Blacksburg, Cowpens and Pacolet, all in Cherokee and Spartanburg counties. Those three stores closed three years ago, creating food deserts in Cowpens and Pacolet and leaving Food Lion as the only grocer in Blacksburg.

Piggly Wiggly still operates in upstate South Carolina with four stores in Greenwood County.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 AM

372 posts, read 722,943 times
Quote:
If you can only make arguments with personal insults, then this only means you can't address the real points made. If you read through my posts on this forum you will find that I'm no fan of shopping at Harris Teeter. I'm not taken in by these relatively expensive "life style" stores that HT & Publix have turned themselves into. In other words, your japery is completely off base and wrong. This is why Bi-Lo will hold it's on in Charlotte, they go after the buyer who won't pay the prices charged in these places.

Furthermore, if "brand loyalty" were as important as you say it was, then logically Publix doesn't have a chance in an area where Harris Teeter has existed for close to 80 years. Furthermore, Sears, Kmart & every grocery store in the country will tell you that "brand loyalty" means zip as they watch Walmart, now the largest retailer in the world, take away their business.

There is nothing "funny" about HT marketing triple coupons. This falls in exactly with what I've said. As I said earlier, business is business. Emotions, even humorous ones, are not part of it. " Business 101", LOL
Again, how many ways and how many days does it take to get you to answer the question "Who is WE?"

Personal insults? If you consider any of my postings as personal insults directed at you, you have far more sensitivity issues too great to be posting anything that someone may take issue with or disagree on, to be posting on a public web forum.

As for business and brand loyalty, then answer this. Why is it that Chik Fil A does as well as it does charging the prices they do? As compared to a chicken sandwich at say McDonalds, Jack in the Box or elsewhere? Quality and service. They deliver on both.

Publix does the same. The winners in this equation besides the companies themselves?

The consumer and the employees of the companies. Same with Starbucks.

I apologize for my JAPERY and the comment I made earlier. I've figured it out.

You're really Mr. Bi Lo, aren't cha?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:19 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Piggly Wiggly had several stores in upstate South Carolina at one time. Piggly Wiggly closed two Spartanburg stores in the 1990s with present competition from Bi-Lo, Ingle's, Harris Teeter, Winn Dixie and whatever was left of Community Cash. Piggly Wiggly would resurface in several old Community Cash stores in Blacksburg, Cowpens and Pacolet, all in Cherokee and Spartanburg counties. Those three stores closed three years ago, creating food deserts in Cowpens and Pacolet and leaving Food Lion as the only grocer in Blacksburg.

Piggly Wiggly still operates in upstate South Carolina with four stores in Greenwood County.
Maybe topchief has been to Piggly Wiggly in the Charleston area? That's where they have most of their nicer, larger stores (and a few in the Myrtle Beach and Savannah areas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
Again, how many ways and how many days does it take to get you to answer the question "Who is WE?"
Yeah, he doesn't always like answering simple questions, but to be honest I think he is really only talking about the people of Charlotte when he says "we" in the quote below.

Quote:
When and if Ingles ever decides to open a store in Mecklenburg you might have something, but as of now, they are non-existent so they are not going to be any threat at all. IMO, Ingles doesn't have what it takes to make it in Charlotte, or they would already be here.

IMO, if Publix is in the same market as Harris Teeter, then they pose no threat to Bi-Lo at all. HT will bloody Publix badly in Mecklenburg and that will most likely be the end of their expansion. We already had them take out Kroger, Hanniford, now Lowes and over the decadess where all of these stores got sent packing, HT, Bi-Lo and Food Lion have survived. History is on their side.
But speaking of this quote, I do actually agree in part that HT is not all that concerned about Ingles, at least not yet. However I disagree with the second part, because Ingles probably could do just fine in Charlotte if they decided to expand. Still, I'm not sure they had a whole lot to do with HT leaving Cleveland and Gaston counties, IMO it was probably more just the fact that IIRC most of those HT's were older and smaller, and not your "typical" HT.

To the second paragraph, I've said before that while HT is probably the most similar store to Publix in Charlotte, I think Publix is a good compromise between quality, cleanliness, and price. In fact I'm not sure if overall Bi-Lo's prices are even much lower if at all than Publix. I know you weren't saying as much, but no one said that Publix is trying to drive Harris Teeter out of Charlotte. They will most likely take a chunk of their market share, but it's going to be a long time until Publix becomes the #1 grocer in Charlotte, if ever. I'm still confident that at least their initial stores will be very successful, if only for no other reason than that there isn't that many of them; so if people want to shop at Publix they will drive there, whereas there is an HT on every corner. We will see how many they end up building, but if it's a lot, again I wouldn't be surprised if it spells the end of Bi-Lo. But even if that happens, it may not necessarily be totally because Bi-Lo couldn't make it, but also because Publix might want to buy some of their locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte