Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Teeter announced that they did the deal with Lowes Foods because they were leaving rural areas. This was a lie. They left Gastonia (pop. 72K+) because people in Gastonia are going to, primarily, the Dallas Ingles. They were not getting the influx from people who come up from Blacksburg to shop in Gastonia because they go to the Kings Mountain Ingles. They are still in Lincolnton (pop. 10K+) because the Ingles has not been built there, yet. That site could be a problem in the future for Ingles because it was intended to be a 55K square foot store like Dallas. Bob II has dropped that size store. I suppose that he could resurrect the plans for that piece of land. There's a big chunk of open land on Garrison in Gastonia on the former site of 2 Parkdale mills & a warehouse. It's zoned commercial. My guess is that a supermarket will go onto that land because that area is underserved. I suspect that Parkdale is asking too much, so it might take a while.
Sb, question for you. I am in lincolnton and that vicinity alot. They have 5 supermarkets within a 2-3 mile radius of the new and old 321. (Food lion, walmart, Bi-Lo, Aldi's, Harris Teeter). Not alot of people collectively in that area. Do you think that area could really support a new supermarket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
FWIW, the only beef grades seen in stores are prime (seldom seen), choice (almost all beef in all but truly high-end or low end stores is choice), and select (I can't remember the last time I've seen select).

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef#USDA_beef_grades]Beef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url
I know about the meat grades. I just copied from the ads, trying to keep items as close as possible. For the record, I used the online flyers for Publix (Ft Mill) & Harris Teeter. (Lincolnton). The others were from paper flyers.

I rarely eat beef so don't pay a lot of attention to it. I have seen prime at the Kings Mountain Ingles at holiday time, though.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,126,398 times
The news just announced a new Publix coming to Southend. Nice! They did not disclose the exact location.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
The news just announced a new Publix coming to Southend. Nice! They did not disclose the exact location.
South Blvd and Iverson Way, across the street from Lowe's.

Publix planning store in South End - Charlotte Business Journal

There's pretty much no competition there.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 AM

247 posts, read 378,136 times
Default Publix Coming to South End!

Read this article in the Observer this morning. Looks like the development along the Blue Line will continue!

This will be a great store in a great location.

Glad to hear this...

Developers announce plans for South End Publix | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
I've been to the Publix in Fort Mill twice. They've done absolutely nothing to entice me into going back. Their prices are similar to Harris Teeter, but their sales aren't as good as HT, and their coupon policy is inferior to HT. Their weekly ad is atrocious, with several pages in every ad having something other than sales prices on a majority of the page, and rather than trying to catagorize the items that are on sale, they just seem to be thrown randomly on different pages with no rhyme or reason. One of their supposed selling points, their store coupons, are basically useless, as you will never find any of the items that the coupon is for on sale, meaning that it's nothing more than just a really complicated way of having a sale price, that takes more work. Their store is actually closer to my house than any other of the grocery stores, but if I need something quick, I would never go there, I'd just be throwing my money away. They're better than Food Lion, but not even close to Harris Teeter and Bi-Lo. You would think that more competition would mean better deals for us the consumer, but clearly Publix thinks otherwise. Enjoy it though, if you like them..

Old 12-28-2012, 11:23 AM

123 posts, read 190,400 times
Hello, I am a native Floridian and I work for Publix. We are so excited to enter the Charlotte area! Lots of buzz about it here locally! One of the reasons why I am personally excited about this is, I am considering a huge relocation to Charlotte in a few years. My main concern is the job market. I currently work in the corporate office but with the company entering into the area, this gives me the opportunity to transfer to a store and keep my job. Anyway, I really hope the NC folks love the new Publix stores. We will soon be working very hard here on this project to make the magic happen!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 AM

247 posts, read 378,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I've been to the Publix in Fort Mill twice. They've done absolutely nothing to entice me into going back. Their prices are similar to Harris Teeter, but their sales aren't as good as HT, and their coupon policy is inferior to HT. Their weekly ad is atrocious, with several pages in every ad having something other than sales prices on a majority of the page, and rather than trying to catagorize the items that are on sale, they just seem to be thrown randomly on different pages with no rhyme or reason. One of their supposed selling points, their store coupons, are basically useless, as you will never find any of the items that the coupon is for on sale, meaning that it's nothing more than just a really complicated way of having a sale price, that takes more work. Their store is actually closer to my house than any other of the grocery stores, but if I need something quick, I would never go there, I'd just be throwing my money away. They're better than Food Lion, but not even close to Harris Teeter and Bi-Lo. You would think that more competition would mean better deals for us the consumer, but clearly Publix thinks otherwise. Enjoy it though, if you like them..
You know what is interesting is I like the idea of them. Having shopped there while on vacation in FL or while at training in GA for work. But I wasn't trying to use coupons or price-shop, so you could very well have a valid point. I really like Teeter, and it would take me a lot to switch. Lowe's Foods used to be my alternative, but they have all left my area, so it would be nice to have a new backup.

I guess I would have liked Publix better if I hadn't been introduced to HT.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:25 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
I miss Harris Teeter here in Greenville, SC and wish they would return. Although Publix is nice here and I enjoy their bakery, deli, and fried chicken. Perhaps if Bi-Lo eventually goes bust there would be room for them to return. Unless Ingles beats them to the punch and finally builds more of their large newer stores. But ironically there is a Teeter about 30 mins up the road in Hendersonville. But not convenient to my side of town.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie4417 View Post
You know what is interesting is I like the idea of them. Having shopped there while on vacation in FL or while at training in GA for work. But I wasn't trying to use coupons or price-shop, so you could very well have a valid point. I really like Teeter, and it would take me a lot to switch. Lowe's Foods used to be my alternative, but they have all left my area, so it would be nice to have a new backup.

I guess I would have liked Publix better if I hadn't been introduced to HT.

There are those who like their shopping to be an "experience." I am not one of those. Those who do want that might like what Publix has to offer, but I'm most definitely a bottom line guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte