Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 01:08 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
How much did you know about the supermarkets west of Charlotte before yesterday? My guess is nothing. I didn't mention the other Ingles stores in Cleveland County, so you didn't add them into your total. Do you work for BiLo? Teeter didn't want to fight Ingles & Publix. They were not winning the war with Ingles. They struck a deal with Lowes Foods. Teeter was the instigator of that deal. They did not leave Lincoln County because there is not an Ingles there, yet.

Ingles & Publix play well in Upstate SC.. No one is saying that things will change overnight, However, Ingles is putting pressure on BiLo in their home market. If the Publix entry pushes someone out, it will be BiLo. They're going to be more concerned about Winn Dixie than a few stores in the Charlotte area.
Why are you coming off rude for a statement I made? You're obviously quick to assume. No, I do not and never have worked for BI-LO and I think I've had a pretty good amount of knowledge about grocers on the west side considering I live there and work for Harris Teeter. I also believe I said the Charlotte metro, which includes Cleveland County.

Harris Teeter closed the stores because they want to focus more on the Charlotte market. There's room for Publix, Ingles, BI-LO, Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Walmart, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Costco, Sams Club, Aldi, BJ's in Charlotte.

Publix has been in SC for years, effecting BI-LO? Yes. To the extent of where they left? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 01:51 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Why are you coming off rude for a statement I made? You're obviously quick to assume. No, I do not and never have worked for BI-LO and I think I've had a pretty good amount of knowledge about grocers on the west side considering I live there and work for Harris Teeter. I also believe I said the Charlotte metro, which includes Cleveland County.

Harris Teeter closed the stores because they want to focus more on the Charlotte market. There's room for Publix, Ingles, BI-LO, Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Walmart, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Costco, Sams Club, Aldi, BJ's in Charlotte.

Publix has been in SC for years, effecting BI-LO? Yes. To the extent of where they left? No.
I was not trying to be rude. I took your rather aggressive defensive of BiLo as being that of an employee.. Teeter was not winning the war with Ingles.. Their store in Cherryville was a disgrace. It closed after the Ingles stores opened in Kings Mountain & Dallas. Ingles has more stores in Cleveland County than any other chain. Ingles is periferal to the Charlotte area, but it's a player in this discussion. Ingles is drawing people out of Gastonia. The new Target is a full size store with groceries. They got rid of the 2 stores in Gastonia & the store in Shelby along with some others to circle the wagon in Charlotte, waiting for the assault from Publix. If you are familiar with this area, you should know the situation with Food Lion. People used to ask out loud why some of the stores are still open. No one cares anymore. They are obviously used as write-offs.

That brings us to BiLo. They are under the same pressure as everyone else. Now they are going to have pressure from Publix. What happens when Ingles starts expanding again?. Several people have tried to explain it to you.. 2 of us tried to draw in Upstate South Carolina to show you that it is not just a one market thing with BiLo.

If BiLo keeps losing market share here & starts losing some to Ingles in the upstate & has to watch Publix where they have Winn Dixie do you really think that they're going to stay in Charlotte?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:19 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
That brings us to BiLo. They are under the same pressure as everyone else. Now they are going to have pressure from Publix. What happens when Ingles starts expanding again?. Several people have tried to explain it to you.. 2 of us tried to draw in Upstate South Carolina to show you that it is not just a one market thing with BiLo.

If BiLo keeps losing market share here & starts losing some to Ingles in the upstate & has to watch Publix where they have Winn Dixie do you really think that they're going to stay in Charlotte?
There are close to 1 million people in Mecklenburg county, and if you add the population on the border with Mecklenburg then we are talking about 1.5M people. It takes 10-12 counties in Western NC to make up numbers like this so I don't see where what is happening there has much to do with anything about the immediate Charlotte metro.

When and if Ingles ever decides to open a store in Mecklenburg you might have something, but as of now, they are non-existent so they are not going to be any threat at all. IMO, Ingles doesn't have what it takes to make it in Charlotte, or they would already be here.

IMO, if Publix is in the same market as Harris Teeter, then they pose no threat to Bi-Lo at all. HT will bloody Publix badly in Mecklenburg and that will most likely be the end of their expansion. We already had them take out Kroger, Hanniford, now Lowes and over the decadess where all of these stores got sent packing, HT, Bi-Lo and Food Lion have survived. History is on their side.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
There are close to 1 million people in Mecklenburg county, and if you add the population on the border with Mecklenburg then we are talking about 1.5M people. It takes 10-12 counties in Western NC to make up numbers like this so I don't see where what is happening there has much to do with anything about the immediate Charlotte metro.

When and if Ingles ever decides to open a store in Mecklenburg you might have something, but as of now, they are non-existent so they are not going to be any threat at all. IMO, Ingles doesn't have what it takes to make it in Charlotte, or they would already be here.

IMO, if Publix is in the same market as Harris Teeter, then they pose no threat to Bi-Lo at all. HT will bloody Publix badly in Mecklenburg and that will most likely be the end of their expansion. We already had them take out Kroger, Hanniford, now Lowes and over the decadess where all of these stores got sent packing, HT, Bi-Lo and Food Lion have survived. History is on their side.
I clearly said that Ingles is periferal to the Charlotte area. It is expanding in the upstate, which is BiLo's home market. If Publix puts pressure on Winn-Dixie, which is now owned by BiLo, & if Ingles puts pressure on BiLo in the upstate, what do you think that BiLo is going to do in the Charlotte market, when Ingles is already putting pressure on the 2 BiLos in Gastonia if Publix puts pressure on them from the south?

Publix 1,093 Stores

Harris Teeter 210 stores (August 2012

Ingles 201 stores

Who's got the resources to bloody who?

BiLo hasn't been out of bankruptcy all that long & has taken on Winn Dixie. I suspect that you're thinking of the old Ingles stores. Those are being replaced by super-centers. Care vto guess why Harris Teeter was driven out of Upstate SC?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
\
Publix 1,093 Stores

Harris Teeter 210 stores (August 2012

Ingles 201 stores

Who's got the resources to bloody who?
Kroger - 3574 stores.

Yet Kroger couldn't make it in Charlotte against HT, Bi-Lo & Foodlion. In fact Bi-Lo bought all their abandoned stores. This theory doesn't hold up.

Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie - 690 stores. If your theory is sound, then Ingles would be worrying.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,182,181 times
Quote:
We already had them take out Kroger, Hanniford, now Lowes and over the decadess where all of these stores got sent packing, HT, Bi-Lo and Food Lion have survived. History is on their side.
Hannaford only left the market because Food Lion bought the company and was forced to close the stores due to anti trust concerns.

I just saw this and it actually struck me as a bit funny:

http://www.foodlion.com/InStore/Beer...orner/Tastings

Food Lion is now doing the "My" thing, as in "My Food Lion", or "My Harris Teeter".

A wine tasting at a Food Lion seems like they should be serving in paper bags

Old 11-03-2012, 07:28 AM

372 posts, read 722,943 times
Quote:
HT will bloody Publix badly in Mecklenburg and that will most likely be the end of their expansion. We already had them take out Kroger, Hanniford, now Lowes and over the decadess where all of these stores got sent packing, HT, Bi-Lo and Food Lion have survived. History is on their side.
We? We as in who?

You know how ridiculous it sounds? It's almost as if you're talking football rather than super markets.

You've been knocking Publix since this thread started. Don't like Publix? Don't shop there. Pretty simple, huh?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:03 AM

372 posts, read 658,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
We? We as in who?

You know how ridiculous it sounds? It's almost as if you're talking football rather than super markets.

You've been knocking Publix since this thread started. Don't like Publix? Don't shop there. Pretty simple, huh?
The fact that Publix is going to open a Charlotte office shows they are serious about NC. Publix has always taken it's time to move into a new region then they attack! I am not saying that HT will be gone. HT will still be here. It's Bi-lo that is in troyble.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
So simple, apparently, that you failed to get the context of what was posted.

I'm a realist and this is business. There is no emotional silliness. Hating or liking a store has nothing to do with what I've said.

Business is business and HT is going to defend it's home turf. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. If they had not taken this approach they would have not survived in Charlotte since the 1930s where many many others have failed.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Kroger - 3574 stores.

Yet Kroger couldn't make it in Charlotte against HT, Bi-Lo & Foodlion. In fact Bi-Lo bought all their abandoned stores. This theory doesn't hold up.

Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie - 690 stores. If your theory is sound, then Ingles would be worrying.
One last time. . .

Winn Dixie left because of massive financial problems. BiLo was in bankruptcy not that long ago & was almost acquired by Food Lion. Shortly after coming out of bankruptcy BiLo bought Winn Dixie. BiLo is not as fiscally sound as any of the other players.

If Publix pressures Winn Dixie while Ingles pressures BiLo in the upstate & if Publix's entry to Charlotte creates more pressure on BiLo in Charlotte, the question is can BiLo fight back on 3 fronts at the same time. Probably not. The easiest thing for BiLo to do is leave Charlotte, add stores in the upstate & bolster Winn Dixie. If Publix entered the Charlotte market 5 years from now, BiLo could probably take the pressure on 3 fronts. I've seen this play out elsewhere with different stores.

The question was whether Publix would push out an existing chain. I said that I thought that BiLo would leave. I've explained why.

I don't care what you think of the various stores but if you have not been in one of the new Ingles, you don't know what you're talking about. Teeter pulled out of Gaston & Cleveland Counties because if they wanted to compete they'd have to do some building & they wanted to circle the wagons to wait for Publix. Lowes Foods is a better fit with Ingles & slashed their prices to compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte