Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 02:56 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,132 times

Advertisements

AT&T and Verizon will soon face some fierce competition from Sprint. Their rollout of LTE is going to be fast:

Sprint Newsroom | Sprint Accelerates Deployment of Network Vision and Announces National Rollout of 4G LTE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 03:03 PM

Ever since AT&T's announced takeover of T-Mobile, T-Mobile just can't keep customers. I guess they know what they're in for!

T-Mobile USA revenues slip, contract customers continue to flee in Q3

Quote:
T-Mobile’s service revenues totalled $4.67 billion in the third quarter, down from the $4.71 billion during the third quarter last year, and the carrier attributed the decline to contract customer losses. Total revenues for the quarter were $5.2 billion, up from $5.1 billion reported last quarter but down from the $5.4 billion reported during the third quarter of 2010.
If I was about to be forced into AT&T, I'd probably flee too.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:36 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
On the contrary, you win arguments by making a claim and backing it with warrant and grounds. Somethings you have failed to do. Commericals, press releases, and news links are used to support arguments.
Making a claim and providing evidence is the easy part. Convincing people that your correct is the hard part, and your failing. It's impossible for either side to win this argument on the internet. Commercials and press releases are nothing more than corporate spin.

It makes me laugh that you don't work for AT&T. Why would any sane individual go on a crusade to defend the honor of a mega corporation that they don't even work for? It makes this whole thread even more pathetic. What is your incentive, bragging rights?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:03 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
Making a claim and providing evidence is the easy part. Convincing people that your correct is the hard part, and your failing.
Maybe I am failing to convince you, but you are just opposition. Convincing you is not the point in a debate, and is definitely not my goal.

I provide a superior framework of the issue

Quote:
It's impossible for either side to win this argument on the internet.
That's fair. All I can do is provide superior framework of the issue.

Quote:
It makes me laugh that you don't work for AT&T. Why would any sane individual go on a crusade to defend the honor of a mega corporation that they don't even work for? It makes this whole thread even more pathetic. What is your incentive, bragging rights?
Let's not set a double standard. Why do you so strongly oppose?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
iPhone sales are down at AT&T. And of those that activate, a majority are contract renewals. Now that their neglected network is no longer the exclusive iPhone host, is anyone surprised?

AT&T's iPhone Sales Slow, But Just You Wait Until the Fourth Quarter - Tricia Duryee - Mobile - AllThingsD

Verizon is chipping away at AT&T's iPhone lead - Oct. 21, 2011
It was inevitable that AT&T would feel some pressure when losing the exclusivity of the iPhone. Moreover, it is inevitable for any carrier to feel some pressure once exclusivity of a flagship device has been lost.

The effect of AT&T losing exclusivity of the iPhone is virtually the same, in theory, as if Verizon losses the exclusivity of the Droid, or Sprint with the HTC EVO, their flagship devices.

AT&T may not have sold as many iPhones in the 3Q, but that's due to the fact that their was no new iPhone launch. Customers who would otherwise had bought an iPhone, would rather wait for the new iPhone,which launched in the 4Q. In just a couple of days, AT&T managed to sell 1 million iPhone 4S. Thus, AT&T's 4Q results would make up, plus more, for the 3Q results.

since their was no new iPhone launch in the 3Q, AT&T sold 2.7 million iPhones and 2.1 million Android, Blackberry, and Window OS smartphones. Android and other non-iPhone smartphone sales more than doubled instead.
http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/20/att-re...-million-mark/

AT&T sold 700,000 more iPhones than Verizon in Q3.
Verizon sold 2 million iPhones in Q3, 700,000 fewer than AT&T

Old 11-10-2011, 07:27 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,571 times
Quote:
Maybe I am failing to convince you, but you are just opposition. Convincing you is not the point in a debate, and is definitely not my goal.
So who have you convinced?

Quote:
All I can do is provide superior framework of the issue.
I didn't realize this was such a serious issue.

Quote:
Let's not set a double standard. Why do you so strongly oppose?
My opposition is actually pretty weak. I'm just amused that your so passionate about this issue. OK, your turn.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
It was inevitable that AT&T would feel some pressure when losing the exclusivity of the iPhone.
Of course. Once consumers have a choice of a better network, they'll leave. That's why AT&T locked down as many as they could with early contract renewals.

Quote:
Moreover, it is inevitable for any carrier to feel some pressure once exclusivity of a flagship device has been lost.
Especially once their network has been repeatedly and consistently shown to be the worst out there.

Quote:
The effect of AT&T losing exclusivity of the iPhone is virtually the same, in theory, as if Verizon losses the exclusivity of the Droid, or Sprint with the HTC EVO, their flagship devices.
You can buy Android devices on any carrier. "The Droid" came out in November 2009, so I wouldn't exactly call it their "flagship" device. I realize AT&T likes to have a stale phone cycle, but the other carriers don't.

Quote:
AT&T may not have sold as many iPhones in the 3Q, but that's due to the fact that their was no new iPhone launch.
It's more likely due to the fact that customers can now choose to get an iPhone on a decent network -- as you said above.

Quote:
Customers who would otherwise had bought an iPhone, would rather wait for the new iPhone,which launched in the 4Q.
Most customers renew when their contract is up. Come on now -- even as an AT&T employee you know this.

Quote:
In just a couple of days, AT&T managed to sell 1 million iPhone 4S. Thus, AT&T's 4Q results would make up, plus more, for the 3Q results.
You don't understand how quarters work.

Quote:
since their was no new iPhone launch in the 3Q, AT&T sold 2.7 million iPhones and 2.1 million Android, Blackberry, and Window OS smartphones.
Sounds like consumers went off to greener pastures. I don't blame them.

Quote:
Android and other non-iPhone smartphone sales more than doubled instead.
Congratulations on getting past 100 million subscribers, though. And you didn't even need a hostile takeover yet!

Quote:
AT&T sold 700,000 more iPhones than Verizon in Q3.
What's interesting is the ratio of new activations to existing customers. I wonder why so many of AT&T's iPhone sales are to existing customers. Perhaps because they're under contract?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
So who have you convinced?
The funny thing is, if you go back and read through the thread, it's basically him posting PR talking points straight off the AT&T intranet. Then one or more posters will debunk his posts, then he'll "retort" by posting commercials.

And repeat.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Ever since AT&T's announced takeover of T-Mobile, T-Mobile just can't keep customers. I guess they know what they're in for!

T-Mobile USA revenues slip, contract customers continue to flee in Q3

If I was about to be forced into AT&T, I'd probably flee too.
Their customer service has really gone down. I have been with T-Mobile for 6 years, but after witnessing the shabby treatment of several other loyal customers, and experiencing it myself, I switched to Verizon's iPhone 4 last week. My wife is still on T-Mobile because of the contract, but when it's done she's switching too. Neither of us wants ATT.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Their customer service has really gone down. I have been with T-Mobile for 6 years, but after witnessing the shabby treatment of several other loyal customers, and experiencing it myself, I switched to Verizon's iPhone 4 last week. My wife is still on T-Mobile because of the contract, but when it's done she's switching too. Neither of us wants ATT.
I was with them for a while, too. I definitely remember the customer service tanking around 2005 or so. It's like they decided that asking me permission before doing everything is the way to improve customer service.

Me: "I'd like to pay my bill."
T-Mobile: "Okay, thank you, from what you're describing to me today I understand you're interested in possibly paying your bill, is that correct?"
Me: "Yup."
T-Mobile: "Okay, thank you for that. I will go ahead and pull up your account to see your balance, is that okay?"
T-Mobile: "Okay, thank you for that. I am currently pulling up your account. Is that okay?"
T-Mobile: "Okay, thank you for that. Can I please verify the name on the account?"
Me: "DowntownHarrisburg."
T-Mobile: "Okay, thank you for that. If I am understanding you correctly, you stated that your name is DowntownHarrisburg, is that correct?"
T-Mobile: "Okay, thank you for that. And based on what you told me earlier in today's phone conversation, you are interested in paying your bill, is that correct?"
me: "Yup."
T-Mobile: "Okay, thank you for that. I will certainly be able to help you in paying your bill today, is that okay?"
T-Mobile: "Okay, thank you for that. Before I help you with paying your bill, is there anything else I can do for you in the meantime?"
Me: "Nope."
T-Mobile: "Okay, thank you for that. If I'm understanding you correctly, you stated that there's nothing else I can do for you in the meantime, is that correect?"
T-Mobile: "Okay, thank you for that. I will go ahead now and begin helping you pay your bill, is that okay?"
me: "Yup."
T-Mobile: "Okay, thank you for that. I see here that your bill is $123.45 for the month, is that correct?"
T-Mobile: "Okay, thank you for that. Based on your response to my question, I understand that you agree that your bill is correectly $123.45 for the month, is that correct?"
T-Mobile: "Okay, thank you for that. I will now go ahead and apply your payment with your permission, is that okay?"
Me: (sounds of me switching to Verizon)

I mean, really -- I appreciate good customer service. But parroting EVERY SINGLE LINE back to me is NOT good customer service, nor is asking for my permission / forgiveness for every single action you take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones