Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 05:07 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,612,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
There sure was. AT&T expects consumers to be satisfied with a 3G experience at 200k.

Fortunately, there's an easy remedy to that.

Technically, 200k is 3G.

Granted, while it's not a fact that AT&T's 3G service sucks in Eastern Pennsylvania, it is a possibility. Also, it is a possibility that your experience with AT&T is just your experience.

Nationwide, all networks providers have areas in which they are strong in and weak in.

"the only important factor is whether or not your device works where you need it to. To this end, your coverage and network performance will vary greatly from area to area, and in fact, from user to user."
- DowntownHarrisburg
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 03:47 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,696,162 times
All I know is Verizon tends to under-promise and over-deliver, and everybody else doesn't. Their 3G is consistent and widespread, if not the fastest at this time. However, that won't even matter in a little more than 2 years.

VZW has it in their roadmap that by the end of 2013, their entire 3G network will be overlaid with LTE service. Based on their track record with 3G EV-DO (and before that, EV-DV, aka 1X), I have little doubt that they will carry through with it.

I don't know what AT&T's plans are, but it looks to me like they think they can take their time with LTE, because they have 3G HSPA and "4G" HSPA+. But what's their excuse for taking so long getting HSPA and HSPA+ rolled out?

I'll stick with the one who has 3G everywhere in their native service area, and only one kind of 4G, which my phone already supports.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:13 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,937,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Technically, 200k is 3G.
So as I was saying, AT&T considers 200k to be a 3G experience.

Quote:
Granted, while it's not a fact that AT&T's 3G service sucks in Eastern Pennsylvania
Oh yes it is.

Quote:
"the only important factor is whether or not your device works where you need it to. To this end, your coverage and network performance will vary greatly from area to area, and in fact, from user to user."
I couldn't have said it better myself. And I'm amused that whenever someone proves you wrong, all you do is copy/paste that quote.

Sorry, but your employer just sucks. AT&T has lousy coverage, the worst customer service in the industry, terrible 3G, pathetic 4G, and a pretty bad grasp on what customers want.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
All I know is Verizon tends to under-promise and over-deliver, and everybody else doesn't. Their 3G is consistent and widespread, if not the fastest at this time. However, that won't even matter in a little more than 2 years.

VZW has it in their roadmap that by the end of 2013, their entire 3G network will be overlaid with LTE service. Based on their track record with 3G EV-DO (and before that, EV-DV, aka 1X), I have little doubt that they will carry through with it.

I don't know what AT&T's plans are, but it looks to me like they think they can take their time with LTE, because they have 3G HSPA and "4G" HSPA+. But what's their excuse for taking so long getting HSPA and HSPA+ rolled out?

I'll stick with the one who has 3G everywhere in their native service area, and only one kind of 4G, which my phone already supports.
I agree wholeheartedly. AT&T's network is, at best, spotty overall. Their game plan is to provide good service in a few isolated areas, then advertise that service nationwide. AT&T has earned a reputation of having a terrible network with misleading advertising.

It's telling that the only person furiously arguing otherwise is an employee who just copy / pastes content from their corporate intranet PR section.

Fortunately we've got Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon to choose from, to say nothing of the MVNOs.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
AT&T plans are competitive:

1. HSPA+ to 97% of Americans
2. LTE rollout completion by the end of 2013. (Same date as Verizon's)

Quote:
I couldn't have said it better myself. And I'm amused that whenever someone proves you wrong, all you do is copy/paste that quote.
Swing and a miss!

No one has proved me wrong. My arguments are virtually sewed up.

As you have consistently fail to realize, when you say things like:

Quote:
So as I was saying, AT&T considers 200k to be a 3G experience.
That is your personal experience. However, you imply that it's true for the entire nation, by saying things like:

Quote:
Sorry, but your employer just sucks. AT&T has lousy coverage, the worst customer service in the industry, terrible 3G, pathetic 4G, and a pretty bad grasp on what customers want.
Eventhough, you've said:

- DowntownHarrisburg

You are entitled to your opinion, because maybe it is what you experience, granted....

How does your personal experience equate to a nationwide experience?

Which is the reason I keep quoting you, because you have no answer. Actually, I find it as a mistake you made, by saying it, because it pokes holes in your argument.

Fraudulent you may be, but a dunce, you are not

Last edited by Stephen1110; 09-24-2011 at 01:25 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Without enhanced backhaul, of course. That's the point you keep ignoring.

Quote:
No one has proved me wrong. My arguments are virtually sewed up.
Is that why you keep contradicting yourself?

Quote:
As you have consistently fail to realize, when you say things like: (AT&T considers 200k to be a 3G experience.) That is your personal experience. However, you imply that it's true for the entire nation
You're the one who said that, actually.

Quote:
Technically, 200k is 3G.

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion, because maybe it is what you experience, granted.... How does your personal experience equate to a nationwide experience?
We could always ask Consumer Reports:

Consumer Reports Says AT&T 'Worst-Rated' U.S. Carrier - WSJ.com

Quote:
Actually, I find it as a mistake you made, by saying it, because it pokes holes in your argument.
Everyone has their own personal experiences. AT&T also happens to be a terrible carrier. Neither negates the other.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:33 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,696,162 times
Quote:
AT&T plans are competitive:

2. LTE rollout completion by the end of 2013. (Same date as Verizon's)
Excellent!

The more LTE, the better. I'm all for unifying the US standard, and all the better if it happens to be the same standard that the rest of the world will eventually use. I can foresee only good things coming from this, including a complete switchover to VO-LTE, no more need to support legacy CDMA and GSM standards, and once that happens, more cool devices, out to a world-wide market faster.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:41 PM

11,531 posts, read 30,411,796 times
This is an endless debate. The phone is only as good as it maker. The service is only as good as the number of towers closest to where you are. There are areas in the US that have no towers; most notably in the mountains and Californa desert.

Personally, and Ilive in rural central Illinois where I am surrounded by water, high bluffs and heavily wooded areas and I am 50 miles from civilization, I use T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint & VZN here. AT&T and T-Mobile were ineffective; I had cheap phones. I bought better phones from Sprint and VZN and I now have very good service and have had for 5 years. AT&T has never been noted for good rural service in IL because it is a US Cellular dominated state whereas Sprint and VZN roam on VZN towers. I've been on every state West of the Mississippi on 1-10, 1-20, 1-40, and I-44 to the Pacific Ocean in SD and LA, plus AR and La from Shreveport to NOLA. Sprint works if there is a tower in range. VZN will too. The Walmart phones work p[retty well too but they don't have the frills. Sprint G-4 is excellent most of the time so says a LD hauler friend of mine who has a Sprint smartphone. I have an iPhone 4 Wifi 3G; it does not work particularly well where I live. It is certainly not worth an extra $300 per year in taxes to say I have it. .

I sm not convinced the smartphone is worth the extra city taxes to use it. CA, NY, FL and IL are the four highest cell phone taxed states. If the phone doesn't work get a better phone and new provider. Be happy. Sooner or later you will find the right combination of phone and tower. In my area it is LG and Sanyo $100 or higher per phone.

Last edited by linicx; 09-24-2011 at 11:52 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Without enhanced backhaul, of course. That's the point you keep ignoring.
No, not quite. AT&T has deployed HSPA+ to virtually 100% of it's mobile broadband network.

By the end of 2012, AT&T will have added enhanced backhaul to 97% of Americans.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ESbrlabw1JkJ:www.broadbandrepor ts.com/r0/download/1678331~018ee90413e657e412818181a5d840ff/DOC.pdf+AT%26+HSPA%2B+to+97%25+of+nation&hl=en&gl= us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESh-b9VuDl80J7cLHZjip3A_yhjzjeg48Fbn06Cmis81Dx7CDF2tXc 4OWSkcacS0QJgQAJDtNUzltIFdbWuduJOoWYVjXPKFn7igqL7X qYWovi96lIuPwTKYsmzOH3PHM4-MQ2d7&sig=AHIEtbTd8SrSEoCL4qm-LWrPZeWdWkHczw

Quote:
Is that why you keep contradicting yourself?
I've done no such thing

Quote:
On the contrary,

According to the Better Business Bureau, it gets the fewest complaints from AT&T customers.

"the Consumer Reports is just one source of the feedback that his company is constantly collecting. Lurie then announced that the Better Business Bureau said today that it gets the fewest complaints from AT&T customers."

"quick to point out that the praise from the Better Business Bureau is no counterpoint to the negative results reported by Consumer Reports"

AT&T Exec Responds to Negative Consumer Reports Report | PCWorld

http://thecellphonejunkie.files.word...complaints.jpg

"Wireless customers in the U.S. file more core customer issue complaints related to carrier advertising and marketing, contract-early terminated, service related issues, and billing and rates with the various BBBs each year than they do with any other entity"

"Earlier this year, AT&T Mobility announced that it was the only company in America to achieve separate ‘A’ ratings and separate accreditations from every BBB in the U.S. on their report cards for ethical business practices and responsiveness to customers concerns. These rankings are based on BBB confidence that the business is operating in an open and trustworthy manner. Each business undergoes an evaluation in 17 categories including BBB accreditation, how well the company has responded to consumer concerns, the company’s complaint history with the BBB, and the truthfulness of its advertising claims."

AT&T responds to Consumer Reports beating, cites A+ rating from BBB

Old 09-26-2011, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,197 times
Moving to Florida as a 6 mos Snowbird. Need a landline. Verizon? AT&T or Comcast? I was told that I should stay away from Verizon! (My cellphone carrier for the time being). Any suggestions from The Sarasota/Bradenton area very much appreciated. Oh, and I need wireless service. Thanks. Razinkain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones