Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,925,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Largest HSPA+ network?..Depends on the variables...
Getting 4G performance from your device. AT&T offers that in fewer areas, hence why even THEY don't claim to have the largest 4G network.

Quote:
"AT&T's mobile data traffic has increased by 8000%, over 4 years"
That's news to no one, given the perpetual reports of slow 3G performance on AT&T. Unfortunately for them, AT&T chose not to properly manage their network. The result? Poor coverage, substantial network congestion, and -- this is the most important -- poor service from an end-user perspective.

Quote:
Could you be emotionally attached? Maybe. To disagree would mean you're emotionally oblivious.
Yeah -- YOU'RE the one saying you either have to be emotionally attached or emotionally oblivious. You really need to stop moving the goalposts, take a deep breath, and get outside.

Quote:
I rather this thread consist of intellectual conversations about networks, technology, and other technically inclined information instead of battles that shift the purpose of this thread
Then stop posting. Or, as others have already pointed out, learn that not everybody is as fanatically obsessed with AT&T as you are, and stop taking that as a personal attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:42 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,155,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
Getting 4G performance from your device. AT&T offers that in fewer areas, hence why even THEY don't claim to have the largest 4G network.

That's news to no one, given the perpetual reports of slow 3G performance on AT&T. Unfortunately for them, AT&T chose not to properly manage their network. The result? Poor coverage, substantial network congestion, and -- this is the most important -- poor service from an end-user perspective.

Yeah -- YOU'RE the one saying you either have to be emotionally attached or emotionally oblivious. You really need to stop moving the goalposts, take a deep breath, and get outside.

Then stop posting. Or, as others have already pointed out, learn that not everybody is as fanatically obsessed with AT&T as you are, and stop taking that as a personal attack.
That's what i'm talking about. If I was well off or never had to worry about bills, then i'd definitely have Verizon; but their price and only their price made me leave. Based on all factors my personal order would be Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T. All 4 have pretty good coverage in my area which is Long Island and also when I go into the city but Verizon by far had the best reception for these areas. AT&T's reception was better than T-Mobiles but not significantly. My friend Chris is with AT&T and is counting the days till he leaves.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
That's what i'm talking about. If I was well off or never had to worry about bills, then i'd definitely have Verizon; but their price and only their price made me leave. Based on all factors my personal order would be Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T. All 4 have pretty good coverage in my area which is Long Island and also when I go into the city but Verizon by far had the best reception for these areas. AT&T's reception was better than T-Mobiles but not significantly. My friend Chris is with AT&T and is counting the days till he leaves.
I also came pretty close to going to T-Mobile just for the G2X, but their coverage in rural PA isn't very impressive. I do a lot of urbex and the like, so voice coverage in the back mountains and valleys is a must. Being able to tether my Thunderbolt and fire up Acme Mapper and Facebook from the middle of nowhere is just awesome.

Not too long ago I took a group of people out to explore an 18-mile stretch of abandoned Interstate here. The AT&T customers had no signal. Now that I have the T-bolt, at least I can set up a WiFi hotspot for them to use.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:45 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,155,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
I also came pretty close to going to T-Mobile just for the G2X, but their coverage in rural PA isn't very impressive. I do a lot of urbex and the like, so voice coverage in the back mountains and valleys is a must. Being able to tether my Thunderbolt and fire up Acme Mapper and Facebook from the middle of nowhere is just awesome.

Not too long ago I took a group of people out to explore an 18-mile stretch of abandoned Interstate here. The AT&T customers had no signal. Now that I have the T-bolt, at least I can set up a WiFi hotspot for them to use.
Very Cool! Can ya hear me now?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
However, this is a debate, and debating is an art of persuasion.
You are not debating. You are dispensing corporate propaganda set forth from your employer, endlessly badgering those who hold a different opinion than yours, and employing fallacy after fallacy.

If you want to discuss the art of debate, feel free to do so in the appropriate forum.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:29 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,292,443 times
I think we can safely agree that AT&T and Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular and Sprint all beat up the adoring public with PR, spin and any other advantage they can use.

My personal experience with Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile from NOLA to SoCAl is as follows. It is all fabulous in California! Sprint CDMA is clear winner in rural and less populated areas as Verizon and Sprint users roam on the same towers. AT&T and T-Mobile have very poor reception in rural areas that are hilly and heavily forested. AT&T has never been much of a rural carrier; neither has t-Mobile. Both are sunk in USCenllular owned Illinois rural areas. VZN & Sprint do very well. I Know because I live here right in the middle of corn and cows, hills, forested areas and large boides of water -- all the things yo do not have in mega-cities like LA and Dallas.

I have a friend with Sprint Droid type phone who drives all over the US. He regularly pulls 4G coast to coast and in the least expected pleces like a tiny town in Georgia a 100 miles from nowhere.

I have an iPhone 4 VZN and Sprint LG Rumor touch. I live 60 miles from any town of size. I have 6 bars on both phones. I have zero trouble with 3G, 4G or WIFI on the iPhone. The worst customer service I had in my life is AT&T since before it was broke up into the baby Bells; it has gotten steadily worse whem it come sto CS. It is followed by CenturyLink who is about to jump into cell phones. There landline services is 100x worse than AT&T on a best day.

The only thing I am pointing out is I know what works well in my area. I don't know what works well in your area because I don't live there. I also learned that when you buy into the "free" phones you get what you pay for: nothing. If you buy a good phone and do not abuse it, you'll have a phone that should last more than 2 years.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The only thing I am pointing out is I know what works well in my area. I don't know what works well in your area because I don't live there.
This is the one universal, unwavering truth of wireless: "YMMV". I've been saying for years that the only point of consideration that matters is how well a given carrier / device works for you personally.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:01 PM

939 posts, read 3,387,362 times
The results of a recent poll conducted on a NYC street corner shows that AT&T sucks more than Verizon.

/sarcasm

Old 06-23-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
The results of a recent poll conducted on a NYC street corner shows that AT&T sucks more than Verizon.
This made me laugh!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,602,468 times
basking in the ambiance

http://billychic.com/pix/verizon2.jpg

But seriously, we are really friends....

http://www-bgr-com.vimg.net/wp-conte...erizon-Guy.jpg

I like this girl

http://www.tipb.com/images/stories/2011/01/tmobile-ad-atacks-att-and-verizon.png (broken link)
http://www.tipb.com/images/stories/2011/01/tmobile-ad-atacks-att-and-verizon.png (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones