Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 04:40 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,605,048 times

Advertisements

AT&T network map

Includes All Broadband
• Edge
• HSPA
• HSPA+
• LTE

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....verage-map.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:07 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,928,615 times
Awesome! So how much LTE coverage does AT&T have?

What's that? You mean I'm going to spend most of my time on EDGE?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Awesome! So how much LTE coverage does AT&T have?

What's that? You mean I'm going to spend most of my time on EDGE?
Well, that depends on whether or not your smartphone only supports EDGE.

While LTE coverage is not widespread yet, it still doesn't alter the fact that it's here.

If you have an LTE capable device, and you either leave LTE coverage, or do not have LTE coverage, your device will fall back to 4G HSPA+, and then to 3G HSPA, and then to EDGE.

It's all in the map I provided above in my earlier post.

Last edited by Stephen1110; 09-21-2011 at 10:05 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Well, that depends on whether or not your smartphone only supports EDGE.
No, that depends on how poor AT&T's coverage is compared to Verizon's. I found that AT&T spent most of its money on major cities. Good luck if you need to travel between them.

Verizon has much more thorough coverage.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,189,806 times
At one time that may have been true but AT&T has bought up company's like CellOne/Dobson who was a large rural carrier.

In all but the most remote areas my AT&T phone works.
A travailing buddy had a Verizon phone and his service was lacking, at&t was better

Quote:
No, that depends on how poor AT&T's coverage is compared to Verizon's. I found that AT&T spent most of its money on major cities. Good luck if you need to travel between them.

Verizon has much more thorough coverage.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
At one time that may have been true but AT&T has bought up company's like CellOne/Dobson who was a large rural carrier.
They do seem to like to buy out smaller companies. I guess they just don't sign on enough customers as it is.

I've done extensive testing with AT&T and Verizon equipment. AT&T drops out of 3G just about everywhere around here (Pennsylvania, mainly the eastern half of the state). I spent most of my time getting < 50k, while my "slow" Verizon phone was pulling 2-3m.

Had the opportunity to play with 4G again a few weeks ago. Here in Harrisburg, Verizon's 4G consistently pulls 25+ Mb/s. 30+ is common. AT&T's 4G peaks out around 7, if you're lucky.

YMMV, of course. Stick with what works for you, and ignore the PR that AT&T employees regularly dispense around here.

EDIT: Forgot to clarify - that's the OLD AT&T 4G, not the NEW AT&T 4G. The old 4G is what used to be the new 3G until AT&T renamed it as 4G. So the new 3G is now the old 4G, while what was once called the new 4G is actually now completely different from the new 4G, which has nothing to do with the new-old 3G, even though AT&T refers to the old 4G as both 4G and 3G.

Last edited by DowntownHarrisburg; 09-22-2011 at 12:31 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 01:59 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,189,806 times
The reason they are buying up some of the smaller ones was the market or region they serviced. (they only could have so much of the "A" or "B" side of the cell in a given area.)

The phone companies even traded areas so they could better serve a area

When they broke up MaBell they gerrymandered the areas the phone companies covered. This allowed for some rural carriers to appear on the seine, the very ones they are now buying up

Thus these coverage maps are a bunch of huwe.
They all rent time on each others tower I can't remember the last time my phone had to rome for service ether you got it or you don't.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
The reason they are buying up some of the smaller ones was the market or region they serviced. (they only could have so much of the "A" or "B" side of the cell in a given area.)

The phone companies even traded areas so they could better serve a area

When they broke up MaBell they gerrymandered the areas the phone companies covered. This allowed for some rural carriers to appear on the seine, the very ones they are now buying up
The MaBell split has nothing to do with the cellular or PCS MTAs, and nobody has referred to the "A or B side" since the days of AMPS. But you're right about one thing: Those coverage maps are useless! I was lucky to go over 50k in the areas AT&T had colored as "3G".

Old 09-22-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
The MaBell split has nothing to do with the cellular or PCS MTAs, and nobody has referred to the "A or B side" since the days of AMPS. But you're right about one thing: Those coverage maps are useless! I was lucky to go over 50k in the areas AT&T had colored as "3G".
Sounds awful. Must be something wrong in your area.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Sounds awful. Must be something wrong in your area.
There sure was. AT&T expects consumers to be satisfied with a 3G experience at 200k.

Fortunately, there's an easy remedy to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones