Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,607,458 times

Advertisements

"First off, your mobility blog guy tested it AT HIS DESK. All carriers will tell you that they wont guarantee specific coverage indoors so your LAME link is invalid." - Lancet71

Swing and a miss!

No! I did not provide the link because of the speed test "the mobile bog guy" conducted.

It's about the Verizon press release he reported.

"In those test markets, Verizon has achieved peak download speeds of 40 to 50Mbps and peak upload speeds of 20 to 25Mbps. These speeds are only achieved under ideal conditions"

"It notes that its engineers are seeing real-world download speeds of 5 to 12Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5Mbps"

Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE Network Testing Promises Significantly Faster Speeds Than Current 3G Networks

^ Here's the Verizon press release

All the "blog guy" did was restate what the Verizon press release said, which is why I posted it, intead of the speed test the "blog guy" conducted himself.

"Try showing me some legitimate, unbiased, non AT&T owned publications and maybe i'll take notice" - Lancet71

"The mobile blog guy's" speed test is irrelevant because we all know Verizon LTE is the fastest 4G network available.

Actually read it next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 AM

145 posts, read 421,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
How do people feel about the AT&T/T-Mobile merger? Is it good, is it bad? For whom?
The one thing I hope happens with this merger is hopefully all those annoying t mobile "authorized retailer " kiosks in the malls go away! They are very annoying !!

Old 05-20-2011, 02:54 PM

"Verizon will always be a superior company because they will continue to consistently upgrade their network and not occasionally upgrade because of criticism, like ma' bell." - Lancet71

In their haste to build LTE networks, some wireless service providers are stinging from their decision not to update their current networks. They have just one way to spell “speed,” and it’s “LTE.”

We also know that the best mobile broadband experience is based on consistent speed. We’ve delivered five mobile broadband speed upgrades in recent years, including our HSPA+ deployment.

"Our HSPA+ network and upgraded backhaul is expected to deliver speed performance similar to initial LTE deployments. That matters, because when we begin commercial deployment of LTE in mid 2011, customers on our LTE network will be able to fall back to HSPA+. As they do, they’ll receive a more consistent mobile broadband experience that supports simultaneous voice and data connections and higher speeds than the others can provide outside their LTE footprint."

Customers of carriers who chose not to upgrade their current networks will move in and out of LTE coverage areas as well. But as they do, they’ll experience a jarring speed degradation. If they’re online and on the phone when they move to sites that don’t support simultaneous voice and data connections, they’ll drop one of those connections. And if they’re watching video, it’s not going to be pretty…

As carriers’ LTE footprints expand in coming years, the speed of today’s networks can’t be ignored because they’ll play a big part in delivering the mobile Internet well into the future.

More Than One Acronym for Speed

Verizon's goal is to cover 100% of their nationwide 3G footprint with LTE coverage...by the end of 2013.
4G LTE Network | Verizon Wireless

So, until then, when customers who have LTE devices move out of LTE coverage, they'll drop down to Verizon's slow EV-DO network.

Or, when LTE coverage is complete, customers with LTE devices will be the only customers with increased speeds. All customers without LTE devices would be stuck at avergaging 1.01 Mbps down/ 0.35 Mbps up.

AT&T's goal is to cover 97% of all Americans with LTE coverage, by the end of 2013.
CWA’s Cohen: AT&T/T-Mobile Merger a Win for Consumers and Workers | AFL-CIO NOW BLOG

So, until then, when customers who have LTE devices move out of LTE coverage, they'll drop down to AT&T's HSPA+ network, shown as averaging 2.48 Mbps down/1.05 Mbps up, then to HSPA 3G, averaging 1.79 Mbps down/0.36 Mbps up.

Or, when LTE coverage is complete, customers without LTE devices will still experience faster broadband speeds than what rival carriers can offer.

These are the steps of speed degradation when losing coverage, signals, or not having a compatble device.

(1) Verizon 4G LTE - 6.44 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up.

(2) Verizon 3G - 1.01 Mbps down, 0.35 Mbps up

Verizon's 3G has actually gotten 8% slower. And continues.

(1) Sprint 4G WiMax - 2.15 Mbps down, 0.61 Mbps up

(2) Sprint 3G - 0.99 Mbps down, 0.30 Mbps up

(1) AT&T 4G LTE - expect results near, at, or above Verizon's LTE

(2) AT&T 4G HSPA+ - 2.48 Mbps down, 1.05 Mbps up

(3) AT&T 3G - 1.79 Mbps down, 0.36 Mbps up

The Fastest Mobile Networks 2010 - The Fastest Mobile Networks | PCMag.com

4G Wireless Speed Tests: Which Is Really the Fastest? | PCWorld

It is Verizon and Sprint who hasn't upgraded their network.

AT&T has the Most Advanced Mobile Broadband Experience.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:34 PM

939 posts, read 3,390,846 times
Stephen, I'm impressed with all your links, the articles you cut and pasted, the bold & colorful fonts, and your obvious dedication. But AT&T still sucks.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
Stephen, I'm impressed with all your links, the articles you cut and pasted, the bold & colorful fonts, and your obvious dedication. But AT&T still sucks.
lol. How about this.

"Among U.S. wireless carriers, Dallas-based AT&T has today been named as having the “Best Mobile Coverage In The World” in the 2010. "

"For the fourth consecutive year AT&T has claimed the top spot among U.S. wireless providers."

http://www.examiner.com/web-2-0-in-d...iness-traveler

"AT&T has been crowned as the most valuable Telecom brand in ratings given by Millward Brown’s BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands 2011."

AT&T Crowned as Most Valuable Telecom Brand | 9 Computer Store

"AT&T is now claiming the nation's fastest mobile broadband network as evidenced by a third-party national test."

The "scientifically valid national drive testing", conducted by Global Wireless Solutions Inc. (GWS), compiles wireless performance across 950,000 road miles, covering 400 U.S. markets that represent 88 percent of the country's population. Across this standard, GWS found AT&T to be the fastest mobile broadband network, 20 percent faster than T-Mobile and 60 percent faster than Verizon.

DailyTech - Report: AT&T Delivers Nation's Fastest Mobile Broadband Network

Old 05-25-2011, 01:13 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,931,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
It is Verizon and Sprint who hasn't upgraded their network.
Except AT&T's high-speed footprint is tiny.

I'd rather have 2-3 meg service on Verizon (my real-world results, not some marketing PR put out by an employee of a competitor) everywhere than 6-7 meg service on AT&T (my real-world results) in downtown Harrisburg ... then 10k - 300k when I'm on the road.

After all -- if speed was more important than coverage, we'd all just be using WiFi!

Sorry, AT&T -- bring your network up to par with your competition and I'll consider switching. Until then, you just can't deliver the reliability I need. I'll take a "slow" 3mb connection that works everywhere over your "7 meg in downtown Philadelphia, 500k in the suburbs, and 10k - 300k everywhere else" network.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,931,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
You shot yourself in the foot. In an AT&T LAB!!! Do you think AT&T would admit inferior results? Also you are talking about findings in a lab and not in the field. Like I said prior, AT&T's towers are miniscule compared to Verizon's and because of this, they have an inferior network. If you actually field tested the 4G LTE devices for both companies, we know who would come out on top and it's not AT&T !!! "Can ya hear me now?"
That's really the biggest point in AT&T's attacks on Verizon's network. AT&T has a theoretical peak speed of 7-ish megs per second under ideal conditions. Add in signal variance, network capacity, and overall coverage, and you'll rarely see that.

But most importantly, they don't offer HSPA+ everywhere. You *might* see that theoretical peak speed in some dense urban areas -- as long as they aren't TOO dense, because then too many people are clogging up the network. Get out into the suburbs, however, and you'll fall back to UMTS or EDGE. I once managed to crank UMTS up to about 2 megs; EDGE is far slower. Get out of the suburbs, and you'll fall back to GPRS or CSD. That's pegging you at 100k - 150k with 300-500ms latency. Forget about VPN, video conferencing, or even casual web surfing.

On the other hand, I haven't seen my Verizon phone fall back to 1x in years. I'm sure there are a few fringe areas, but I haven't found them, and I travel all over Pennsylvania.

So it basically boils down to this: AT&T's peak theoretical speed is faster than Verizon's peak theoretical speed. But Verizon offers their peak speed just about everywhere they provide service, while AT&T only offers it in a minority of covered areas.

Now you know why they say "we cover 97% of AmericaNS" and not simply "we cover 97% of America".

Old 05-25-2011, 05:05 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,185,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
That's really the biggest point in AT&T's attacks on Verizon's network. AT&T has a theoretical peak speed of 7-ish megs per second under ideal conditions. Add in signal variance, network capacity, and overall coverage, and you'll rarely see that.

But most importantly, they don't offer HSPA+ everywhere. You *might* see that theoretical peak speed in some dense urban areas -- as long as they aren't TOO dense, because then too many people are clogging up the network. Get out into the suburbs, however, and you'll fall back to UMTS or EDGE. I once managed to crank UMTS up to about 2 megs; EDGE is far slower. Get out of the suburbs, and you'll fall back to GPRS or CSD. That's pegging you at 100k - 150k with 300-500ms latency. Forget about VPN, video conferencing, or even casual web surfing.

On the other hand, I haven't seen my Verizon phone fall back to 1x in years. I'm sure there are a few fringe areas, but I haven't found them, and I travel all over Pennsylvania.

So it basically boils down to this: AT&T's peak theoretical speed is faster than Verizon's peak theoretical speed. But Verizon offers their peak speed just about everywhere they provide service, while AT&T only offers it in a minority of covered areas.

Now you know why they say "we cover 97% of AmericaNS" and not simply "we cover 97% of America".
Nice!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
But most importantly, they don't offer HSPA+ everywhere.
Not Quite.

AT&T's HSPA+ network has the largest coverage out of all the 4G networks in America.

http://androiiid.com/wp-content/uplo...pg-450x347.jpg

4G Coverage Maps, click here

WiMAX, LTE and HSPA+: Comparing operators' 4G coverage areas - FierceBroadbandWireless

Quote:

After all -- if speed was more important than coverage, we'd all just be using WiFi!

Sorry, AT&T -- bring your network up to par with your competition and I'll consider switching. Until then, you just can't deliver the reliability I need. I'll take a "slow" 3mb connection that works everywhere over your "7 meg in downtown Philadelphia, 500k in the suburbs, and 10k - 300k everywhere else" network.
Quote:

It's All Technically 3G

3G is defined by the ITU as any wireless cell based protocol that delivers broadband speed. The defined threshold for that is at least 250kbps.

With this, Verizon and AT&T gets to market it's entire network as 3G. While Verizon does this, AT&T only does so for the higher end of it's network.

Verizon's Ev-DO Rev. A, gets typical Download speeds from .60 to 1.4 Mbps.

If EV-DO Rev A. coverage is not available, you'll see typical download speeds from .40 to .70 Mbps from EV-DO.

Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Coverage & Speed

AT&T's EDGE network is technically 3G, but markets it as 2.5G. It's network is capable of download speeds around .40 Mbps.

AT&T's HSPA, the higher end of it's network, is much faster than any 3G technology offered by Verizon.

Thus, when Verizon's entire 3G network is compared with AT&T's 3G network, it does not include AT&T's EDGE network, since AT&T doesnt market it as 3G, even though it meets the standard.

http://chowder.bandrox.org/wp-content/uploads/ATTvs.VerizonMyOpinionOnThisBattle_1246C/vzwatt3gmap_thumb.png (broken link)
http://chowder.bandrox.org/wp-content/uploads/ATTvs.VerizonMyOpinionOnThisBattle_1246C/vzwatt3gmap_thumb.png (broken link)

If AT&T were to include it's EDGE network as 3G, it's map would look like this.

http://www.cnet.com/i/tim/2011/03/20...erage_Data.gif

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/1...on-ad-attacks/

AT&T sued Verizon over this "map coverage" ad. Since, Verizon's entire network was included, with white spaces meaning network gaps, and AT&T's 3G was included, and not it's entire network. Making consumers believe AT&T's coverage was tiny.

Last edited by Stephen1110; 05-25-2011 at 09:09 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
That's really the biggest point in AT&T's attacks on Verizon's network. AT&T has a theoretical peak speed of 7-ish megs per second under ideal conditions. Add in signal variance, network capacity, and overall coverage, and you'll rarely see that...But most importantly, they don't offer HSPA+ everywhere...So it basically boils down to this: AT&T's peak theoretical speed is faster than Verizon's peak theoretical speed.
HSPA 7.2 is the technology that delivers the "theoretical peak speed of 7-ish megs"

HSPA+ category 14 delivers up to 14.4 Mbps.

HSPA+ category 21 delivers up to 21 Mbps.

Quote:

Well actually, you still dont know why. So allow me to set the record straight. You should not get this misconstrued again.

1. Verizon and AT&T's entire network is technically 3G.
2. Verizon markets it's entire network as 3G. AT&T markets the higher ends of it's network as 3G. (through updates)
3. Verizon uses this to it's advantage.

AT&T sued Verizon over those "there's a map for that" ads because it was misleading customers.

In the ads, Verizon touts superior "3G coverage".

On Verizon's map, red spaces represent areas with 3G coverage, while white spaces represent areas where 3G is not available. However, since it markets it's entire network as 3G, those white spaces are actually service gaps.

On AT&T's map, blue spaces represent areas with 3G coverage, while white spaces represent areas where 3G is not available.

The ads would then say AT&T customers were "out of touch" when out of it's 3G coverage. This would lead to customers thinking AT&T had no service outside of it's 3G coverage, even though the ads refer to just 3G coverage.

"Verizon modified the ads after AT&T complained about them saying its customers were "out of touch" where 3G coverage was unavailable. Those words were taken out and Verizon included a tag line saying "Voice & data services available outside 3G coverage areas" at the end of the ads"

AT&T Sues Verizon Over 'Map For That' Ads Slamming Coverage

Then AT&T fights back....................

The fine print in Verizon’s ads notes that its “five times more” 3G maps and comparisons relate only to surface area in square miles, not to the percentage of coverage of actual population centers.

AT&T then claims their network offers voice and data to 97% of all Americans or 97% of America's population.

Most users are more interested in getting data service where they live and work rather than knowing there is a certain number of square miles of land with Verizon’s 3G service.

Here's the population density of America compared to AT&T's original 3G coverage map.( Disregard the light blue areas)

http://mapofusa50states.com/images/map_of_usa_50_states21.gif (broken link)
http://mapofusa50states.com/images/map_of_usa_50_states21.gif (broken link)

http://www.markbierlein.com/resource...ileId=10690246

97% of all Americans vs. 97% of All America

Verizon has 5x more 3G coverage than AT&T, however...

Verizon's 3G network covers 290 million people, or 94% of America's population.
AT&T's 3G network covers 250 million people, or 81% of America's population.

To 81% of America's population, AT&T 3G has you covered!

**The message is, coverage might not be as widespread, but you are in our coverage as well as 81% of the nation's population.**

AT&T's network covers 298 million people, or 97% of America's population.

To 97% of America's population, AT&T has you covered!

Now you see why the percentage is used!

Last edited by Stephen1110; 05-26-2011 at 01:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones