Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 03:30 PM

119 posts, read 294,391 times

Advertisements

I own a Motorola xoom tablet with no contract, My tablet runs on the Verizon LTE 4G data. I must say, it is FAST faster even than my home internet DSL!. I pay $37.00 a month for 10 GBs I got in on a promo. with no contract month to month just like a pre paid phone. I find their customer service GREAT!. The zoom of course works much faster on the 4G network than a phone because the hardware is much more powerful than that they can fit in a phone. In eather case the new Verizon LTE 4G is leaps and bounds above anything before.

Last edited by cheesecurd; 11-11-2011 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,617,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Especially once their network has been repeatedly and consistently shown to be the worst out there.
In all, total connections added in 3Q:

AT&T: 2.1 million
Verizon: 1.3 million

More customers are choosing AT&T.

Quote:
It's more likely due to the fact that customers can now choose to get an iPhone on a decent network -- as you said above
Is that why more iPhone/ smartphone customers choose AT&T.

Quote:
Most customers renew when their contract is up. Come on now -- even as an AT&T employee you know this
Quote:
Of course. Once consumers have a choice of a better network, they'll leave. That's why AT&T locked down as many as they could with early contract renewals.
Your claims are conflicting with each other. For a better network, do they leave or do they stay?

Quote:
Sounds like consumers went off to greener pastures. I don't blame them
AT&T churn rate fell in the 3Q.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:12 PM

AT&T continues to be LTE fast

We pitted AT&T’s 4G LTE network against Verizon’s in Manhattan, taking LG’s new Nitro HD smartphone and the Motorola Droid Razr to a couple of spots in our neighborhood including Madison Square Park and Union Square. In our fifth avenue office, the Nitro HD reached a blistering download speed of 23.8 Mbps, making the Razr’s 6.8 Mbps look like molasses. Uploads speeds for AT&T were equally impressive with the Nitro clocking in at 5.7 Mbps compared to the Droid’s pitiful 0.6 Mbps.

AT&T’s LTE Network Launches in Manhattan, Beats Verizon in Union Square

Old 12-04-2011, 10:34 AM

939 posts, read 3,397,408 times
Edit: It would have been nice if I pulled the VZW numbers from the correct quarter in my first post, but these numbers are equally impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
In all, total connections added in 3Q:

AT&T: 2.1 million
Verizon: 1.3 million

Lets look at these numbers a little bit closer.

Postpaid customers are the most desirable/profitable.

AT&T post paid net adds: 319,000
VZW post paid net adds: 882,000

Prepaid customers aren't very profitable and have high churn, AT&T can have them:

AT&T prepaid net adds: 293,000
VZW prepaid net adds: wasn't disclosed in the press release

Reseller customers are basically those on Net10, Tracfone, and Straight Talk. One of the least desirable customers and only generate about $6 of revenue per month for the carriers. AT&T can have them.

AT&T reseller net adds: 473,000
VZW reseller net adds: wasn't disclosed in the press release.

Connected Net adds are generally Nooks, Kindle, and Onstar type connections that are used in cars. They only generate about $2-3/month

AT&T connected net adds: 1,038,000
VZW connected net adds: 367,000 (may be part of reseller and prepaid net adds)

The real winner here is VZW due to their postpaid net adds.

Quote:
Is that why more iPhone/ smartphone customers choose AT&T.
AT&T currently has more smartphone customers because they had the iPhone from the very beginning. The iPhone is also the most subsidized phone, the carriers would much rather sell Blackberry or Android devices because the subsidized costs aren't nearly as high.

Quote:
So did Verizon's. Churn is the real gauge of customer satisfaction. AT&T's numbers are impressive, but VZW's are better.

AT&T total churn: 1.28%
AT&T postpaid churn: 1.15% (this actually went up .01% versus 3rd Q year ago, but to be fair when you exclude their Alltel and Centennial migrations their postpaid churn would have been 1.11%)

VZW total churn: 1.26%
VZW postpaid churn: 0.94%

Quote:
AT&T continues to be LTE fast

We pitted AT&T’s 4G LTE network against Verizon’s in Manhattan, taking LG’s new Nitro HD smartphone and the Motorola Droid Razr to a couple of spots in our neighborhood including Madison Square Park and Union Square. In our fifth avenue office, the Nitro HD reached a blistering download speed of 23.8 Mbps, making the Razr’s 6.8 Mbps look like molasses. Uploads speeds for AT&T were equally impressive with the Nitro clocking in at 5.7 Mbps compared to the Droid’s pitiful 0.6 Mbps.

AT&T’s LTE Network Launches in Manhattan, Beats Verizon in Union Square
I would expect AT&T's LTE network to outperform VZW's because it's newer and has very few devices activated. Anything less would be an embarrassment.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/pr/report...ore_Report.pdf

Verizon won in nearly every metric. The report is from July and since AT&T didn't have LTE then I'll give them give the benefit of the doubt and won't discuss data speeds. I'll focus on something that is far more important and something that is still a problem for AT&T in NYC, dropped/blocked calls.

AT&T blocked calls: 0.97%
AT&T dropped calls: 5.88%

Are they serious?!? 5.88%?!?

VZW blocked calls: 0.15%
VZW dropped calls: 0.23%

Your grasping at straws, this argument can't be won, it's ongoing and ever changing. There are just as many pro VZW news articles/press releases as there are for AT&T. This could go on for years and there still won't be a "winner."

Last edited by gvillager; 12-04-2011 at 11:22 AM..

Old 12-04-2011, 03:08 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,702,948 times
Slightly OT, but think it's interesting to point out that Net10, Tracfone, and StraightTalk are all run by the same company. They now have MVNO network usage agreements with all four of the big national providers.

The network these phones use depends on the model (CDMA vs. GSM, smartphone vs. dumbphone, etc.) and location they expect you to use your phone the most (based on the ZIP you provide).

Word on the street/net is that StraightTalk uses the Verizon network, but that's only true if you have a non-smart CDMA model. (If it uses a SIM card, it's not CDMA.) Their new Android CDMA model uses SprintPCS for voice and 3G. Their Nokia (non-android) qwerty phones use the AT&T network. StraightTalk and TracFone GSM dumbphones on store shelves in my area generally come with a T-Mobile SIM in the box (in other areas, they might be more likely to come boxed with an AT&T SIM).

Old 12-04-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
The real winner here is VZW due to their postpaid net adds.
True, but that wasnt my argument. My argument was that more customers are choosing AT&T. In every category.

Quote:
The iPhone is also the most subsidized phone, the carriers would much rather sell Blackberry or Android devices because the subsidized costs aren't nearly as high.
Not quite. Carriers want the iPhone. It's the highest selling device on all three major carriers.

iPhone 4S top selling phone on America's three largest carriers - Yahoo! News

Prior to the Iphone 4S release, the Iphone 4 was the #1 selling device in the US, followed by the iPhone 3GS.

iPhone 4 and 3GS Rank as Best-Selling U.S. Smartphones - Mac Rumors

So, carriers want the iPhone more than you think. Subsidy costs are made up with two-year contracts. Thus, the more two-year contracts you have, the better. Because remember:
Quote:
Postpaid customers are the most desirable/profitable.

Quote:
Verizon won in nearly every metric. The report is from July and since AT&T didn't have LTE then I'll give them give the benefit of the doubt and won't discuss data speeds
Well, in that case, since you wont discuss data speeds because AT&T didnt have LTE, whereas Verizon did, you should not have discussed anything else. No double standards.

Quote:
There are just as many pro VZW news articles/press releases as there are for AT&T.
That was so 13 pages ago.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 PM

AT&T 4G LTE commercials

AT&T TV Commercial - HTC Vivid

AT&T TV Commercial -- Tailgate LTE (HTC Vivid) - YouTube

Old 12-04-2011, 03:36 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,943,485 times
Quote:
Nope.

Verizon: 107.7 million connections
AT&T: 100.7 million connections

AT&T just can't seem to pull ahead. That's why they're so desperate for this takeover. Without it, they're looking at some serious problems.

Quote:
Congratulations! It's about time you guys got that under control. You're almost to second place!

Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Well, in that case, since you wont discuss data speeds because AT&T didnt have LTE, whereas Verizon did, you should not have discussed anything else. No double standards.
Do you want to talk real-world data speeds? Like the kind I can walk outside and hit right now? Okay. Verizon's fastest service here is around 30-40 Mb/s down, while AT&T's fastest service here can theoretically reach 7.2 Mb/s down.

Unless you'd rather compare Gs, in which case Verizon's 3G typically runs 2-3Mb/s down, while AT&T's 3G can run from 200k - 3-something. Remember, you renamed your HSPA+ as "4G", so it's not 3G anymore.

But if you want to compare LTE to LTE, it's currently around 30-40 Mb/s down for Verizon (or 50 as we saw above), while AT&T's is ... wait, let me double-check ...

Zero.

And seriously, why do you keep spamming the forum with advertising?

Old 12-04-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
AT&T dropped calls: 5.88%
This is the biggest ongoing problem that AT&T has. They have an underpowered, neglected network that's about to run out of space. They have a lengthy, well-documented history of providing the worst possible service to consumers.

Their official response?

To spam forums with advertisements and PR.

That's cheaper than building a competitive network, I guess!

Quote:
Your grasping at straws, this argument can't be won, it's ongoing and ever changing. There are just as many pro VZW news articles/press releases as there are for AT&T. This could go on for years and there still won't be a "winner."
Though we do have a lot of fun watching Stephen feverishly attempt to defend his employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones