Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:09 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,605,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
See above.
I did, and all I saw was your personal testimony, and not actual data and facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
Just because it's the best selling it doesn't mean it's the most profitable. Android and Blackberry users pay the same rates and agree to the same two year contract as iPhone users. The iPhone subsidy is much higher than other smartphones so that makes iPhones users less profitable than Blackberry and Android users.
- The iPhone is among the most profitable devices in the industry.
- The launch of the iPhone resulted in the best sales day in each carrier history.
- The iPhone brought in record numbers of new customers for each carrier.

Sprint reports Q3 earnings, says iPhone is “worth every penny” | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Verizon iPhone 4 Sales Are 'Best in History,' CEO Says | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

- The iPhone sales at a rate of 2.5 times more than any other device.

Verizon needs Apple's iPhone badly, analyst says - Computerworld

"Sprint promised that, over time, the iPhone would bring 50 percent more value to the company than any other handset."

Sprint eyes new financing as iPhone swells costs | Reuters

The volume of iPhone customers exceeds that of any device. There is no doubt carriers want the iPhone.

Quote:
As if this thread was only about data speeds. Your just mad that VZW has a lower call failure rate than AT&T.
No, not at all. My point was, in the New York City test, you did not mention Verizon 4G LTE speeds because AT&T did not have LTE, but it didnt stop you from mentioning other Verizon LTE performances.

Quote:
What's interesting is the ratio of new activations to existing customers. I wonder why so many of AT&T's iPhone sales are to existing customers. Perhaps because they're under contract?
What's the ratio for all carriers? Verizon iPhones, AT&T iPhones, Sprint iPhones?

Quote:
Connected Net adds are generally Nooks, Kindle, and Onstar type connections that are used in cars. They only generate about $2-3/month

AT&T connected net adds: 1,038,000
VZW connected net adds: 367,000 (may be part of reseller and prepaid net adds)
Not quite. Verizon counts iPads/tablets as postpaid devices, while AT&T counts them as connected devices.

AT&T Q4 Earnings: 4.1 Million iPhone Activations and 442,000 iPads & Tablets

Verizon: 2.3 million iPhone 4 activations; strong Q2; McAdam CEO | ZDNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,928,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
I did, and all I saw was your personal testimony, and not actual data and facts.
Facts are facts. Feel free to visit Pennsylvania and see for yourself. I'll be happy to provide you with locations. For added amusement, see if your employer will provide you with aircards from Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon. I think you'll be surprised!

Quote:
Not quite. Verizon counts iPads/tablets as postpaid devices, while AT&T counts them as connected devices.
Fail. Both carriers report "connections" in their quarterly earnings. It was pretty amusing when AT&T started trying to compare their "connection count" to Verizon's "customer count", but the public caught on.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Facts are facts. Feel free to visit Pennsylvania and see for yourself. I'll be happy to provide you with locations. For added amusement, see if your employer will provide you with aircards from Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon. I think you'll be surprised!
It's time to get the record straight.

Quote:
Ergo, AT&T's 3G is inferior to Verizon's 3G.

AT&T's "new 4G" is inferior to Verizon's 4G.

AT&T's "old 4G" is inferior to Verizon's 4G.
According to your testimony,

- In your Pennsylvania area, AT&T's 3G HSPA network does not perform as well as Verizon's.
- In your Pennsylvania area, AT&T's 4G HSPA+ network does not perform as well as Verizon's 4G LTE network.
- In your Pennsylvania area, AT&T's 4G LTE network does not exist.

I think it's clear now. No need to be fraudulent.

Quote:
Fail. Both carriers report "connections" in their quarterly earnings. It was pretty amusing when AT&T started trying to compare their "connection count" to Verizon's "customer count", but the public caught on.
Yes, they do report "connections" in their quarterly earnings. However, it was not AT&T who made the claim, it was article reporters. Customers with and without connections is where reporters got confused. No need to be fraudulent.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 PM

939 posts, read 3,388,911 times
Quote:
- The iPhone is among the most profitable devices in the industry.
- The launch of the iPhone resulted in the best sales day in each carrier history.
- The iPhone brought in record numbers of new customers for each carrier.

Sprint reports Q3 earnings, says iPhone is “worth every penny†| 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Verizon iPhone 4 Sales Are 'Best in History,' CEO Says | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

- The iPhone sales at a rate of 2.5 times more than any other device.

Verizon needs Apple's iPhone badly, analyst says - Computerworld

"Sprint promised that, over time, the iPhone would bring 50 percent more value to the company than any other handset."

Sprint eyes new financing as iPhone swells costs | Reuters

The volume of iPhone customers exceeds that of any device. There is no doubt carriers want the iPhone.
Of course the iPhone is a very desirable and profitable. It's just less profitable per handset. All the news links in the world aren't going to change that.

Quote:
No, not at all. My point was, in the New York City test, you did not mention Verizon 4G LTE speeds because AT&T did not have LTE, but it didnt stop you from mentioning other Verizon LTE performances.
Your the one that posted the article about the great speeds on AT&T LTE, and I responded with a justification for their speeds. I then brought up how high AT&T's call failure is but apparently thats not a relevant point to the discussion. Since you have provided us with such a "superior framework of the issue" how do you propose I should have introduced this evidence? Should I just not have brought it up? Should I have created a new post? Or maybe I should have started a whole new thread?

Seriously?!? 5.88% call failure rate!?!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Of course the iPhone is a very desirable and profitable. It's just less profitable per handset. All the news links in the world aren't going to change that.
The subsidy of one iPhone is $200 more than that of any android. Yes, per handset, it is less profitable. Granted, since the iPhone sells 2.5 times more than any android, it becomes more profitable.

For every one android, there is 2.5 iPhones sold. The profit from the volume of the iPhones exceed that of one android.

Verizon iPhone sales predictions:

13M iPhones x $400 subsidy costs = $5.2B
13M iPhones x $1680 ($70 plan, 2 year contract) = $21.84B
Total profits: $16.64B

5.2M Thunderbolts x $200 subsidy costs = $1.04B
5.2M Thunderbolts x $$1680 ($70 plan, 2 year contract) = $8.736B
Total profits: $7.696B

Quote:
Your the one that posted the article about the great speeds on AT&T LTE, and I responded with a justification for their speeds. I then brought up how high AT&T's call failure is but apparently thats not a relevant point to the discussion. Since you have provided us with such a "superior framework of the issue" how do you propose I should have introduced this evidence? Should I just not have brought it up? Should I have created a new post? Or maybe I should have started a whole new thread?

Seriously?!? 5.88% call failure rate!?!
Justification of speeds? AT&T 4G LTE was shown to be faster than that of Verizon 4G LTE.

AT&T's call failure rate did not surprise me. I've already admitted problems that AT&T's network had in New York City.

My point was, you excluded Verizon 4G LTE data speeds because you thought it wouldnt be a fair comparison, due to the fact AT&T 4G LTE was not available. However, you still touted other performances from the Verizon 4G LTE network. I was just noting the inconsistency in your post.

Speed:

AT&T iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 are 3x and 2x faster than the closest competitor, respectively.

http://www-bgr-com.vimg.net/wp-conte...phone-data.png

Reliability:

Verizon iPhone 4S is the most reliable, %.70 better than the closest competitor.

http://www-bgr-com.vimg.net/wp-conte...hone-calls.png

other:

- Sprint’s iPhone scored the highest on live network voice quality on the uplink
- AT&T's iPhone scored the highest on the live network voice quality on the downlink.

iPhone 4S carrier showdown: AT&T fastest, Verizon most reliable

iPhone 4S Carrier Tests: AT&T Fastest, Verizon Most Reliable | iGadgetsReport

Old 12-05-2011, 01:49 AM

AT&T has the leading portfolio of 4G devices:

4G HSPA+* Devices :
  • HTC Inspire 4G
  • Motorola Atrix 4G
  • Motorola Atrix 2
  • Samsung Infuse 4G
  • Samsung Galaxy S II
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab
  • iPhone 4S
  • BlackBerry Torch 9810
  • LG Thrill 4G
  • HP Veer 4G
  • USBConnect Force 4G
  • Impuse 4G
  • Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY 4G
  • Samsung Focus Flash
  • Pantech Pocket
  • BlackBerry Torch 9860
  • Samsung Focus S
  • Samsung Captivate Glide
  • HTC Titan
  • BlackBerry Bold 9900
  • Acer Iconia Tab
4G LTE/HSPA+* Devices
  • Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
  • HTC Jetstream
  • Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G
  • USBConnect Momentum 4G
  • HTC Vivid
  • LG Nitro HD
* includes HSPA+ 14 and HSPA+ 21

Old 12-05-2011, 05:14 AM

939 posts, read 3,388,911 times
Quote:
The subsidy of one iPhone is $200 more than that of any android. Yes, per handset, it is less profitable.
That's the whole point, volume or not.

Last edited by gvillager; 12-05-2011 at 05:58 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I think it's clear now. No need to be fraudulent.
It's been clear since the beginning. AT&T's network is inferior to Verizon's. Your argument amounts to "your results are invalid because you're not comparing them in an area where AT&T is superior".

And you keep using the word "fraudulent" incorrectly.

Quote:
Yes, they do report "connections" in their quarterly earnings. However, it was not AT&T who made the claim, it was article reporters.
Nope, it was you:

Quote:
Verizon counts iPads/tablets as postpaid devices, while AT&T counts them as connected devices.
Now stop being fraudulent.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Justification of speeds? AT&T 4G LTE was shown to be faster than that of Verizon 4G LTE.
AT&T's LTE speed: Zero.

Veriozn's LTE speed: Typically around 30-something.

Quote:
I was just noting the inconsistency in your post.
Your entire posting history amounts to complaining that "you can't judge AT&T's network based on experiences in locations where AT&T's network is inferior to Verizon's" while demanding that we base our decisions on whatever corporate press releases you're throwing out. Then, once you realize you're losing that old argument, you start spamming the forum with advertisements -- which is incidentally against CD's terms of service.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
It's been clear since the beginning. AT&T's network is inferior to Verizon's. Your argument amounts to "your results are invalid because you're not comparing them in an area where AT&T is superior".
On the contrary, your arguments amounts to " your nationwide results are invalid because in my area in Pennsylvania, AT&T is this..this..and this..while Verizon is this..this..and this.."

For example:

Quote:
AT&T's LTE speed: Zero.

Veriozn's LTE speed: Typically around 30-something.
Quote:
Your entire posting history amounts to complaining that "you can't judge AT&T's network based on experiences in locations where AT&T's network is inferior to Verizon's" while demanding that we base our decisions on whatever corporate press releases you're throwing out. Then, once you realize you're losing that old argument, you start spamming the forum with advertisements -- which is incidentally against CD's terms of service.
Look. More fraudulent information.

Lol. You try so hard. What's next?

"It's embarrassing you try to overthrow the government and you wind up on a Best Sellers List" - Abbie Hoffman

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More AT&T LTE Speeds

Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket Speed test - YouTube

Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (AT&T) 4G LTE Speed Test - YouTube

AT&T 4G LTE Network + HTC Vivid vs. Verizon 4G LTE Network + Droid Razr

Test #1:

AT&T: 34.84 Mbps DL, 17.64 Mbps UP
Verizon: 18.70 Mbps DL, 6.64 Mbps UP

Test #2:

AT&T: 34.51 Mbps DL, 12.14 Mbps UP
Verizon: 2.51 Mbps DL, 3.22 Mbps UP
Verizon: 16.88 Mbps DL, 7.24 Mbps UP

Test#3:

AT&T: 31.13 Mbps DL, 9.19 Mbps UP
Verizon: 16.77 Mbps DL, 7.24 Mbps UP

Battle Vid: The Best 4G LTE Speeds Verizon Wireless vs AT&T - YouTube

Battle Vid: Best 4G LTE Verizon Wireless vs. AT&T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones